Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New message from the Ski Club re the forum.....

Poster: A snowHead
This forum, and whatever it may turn into, can never do what the SCGB can (and should). This should be all the things we've been over before (campaigning over issues, safety awareness, training, reps, snow reports etc). As an independent site, using that independence to full advantage, I would have thought the two could co-exist. All of which reminds me - where is "Arnold Lunn"?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit difficult at the moment though, as it's still closed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David, I've agreed with all the arguments made about returning the ski club site to an open forum, and therefore find it somewhat non-sensical to come to the conclusion there should be a smaller fee to use just the forum. Surely we all agreed that an open forum was best for everyone. If people decide they want to join the club great, if people decide not to so what - who loses??

The difference between £20 a year say (less than 40pence a week) and the full membership of £50 (less than a pound a week) surely isn't the issue. I can't believe that anyone who goes skiing can't afford 95 odd pence a week to join the club - it's just a question of whether they want to or not. If they don't want to, I personally don't have a problem with that - as long as they don't use the open forum to air their prejudices about the ski club, which let's face it is just slagging of all those who have decided to join.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David, how can a 'lite' member have a full vote?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with Mark,
Lets keep our community here but I can see no point refusing to use the SCGB in addition.
Point being we will find it difficult to get publicity here but with posters in both camps it will bring new blood here.
Life is to short to squabble over the mistake SCGB made but let's see it pan out.
Although I do like the fact that this site is not controlled by a company.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Trouble is I'm already risking the sack browsing this one...don't have time to read all the messages in both!! So unless those who have time to do both post links to the interesting bits I'm going to have to stick with whichever has the most chatter.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can there be an amalgamation where by U's and Mr Cragg's heard work (muchos applause!) continues as is, but is linked or integrated into the SCGB website?
That way all those "cyber space refugees" will once again be able to join in the discussions while maximising the potential for expansion and additional contribution. The SCGB could also continue with their members only forum - should anyone be interested.
Above all U and Alan saved the forum and must be thanked with the loyalty of the current user group and be allowed full control over the forum should any amalgamation/integration take place.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gerry. I think it's best that your question is addressed on the SCGB site. Do you want to start a thread over there on the subject of variable membership rates?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, You may recall that I raised the issue in the Forum on MO day. I've also e-mailed Laura directly with the suggestion. She clearly was under pressure because she said that it had been suggested and asked me what I thought of the idea of a reduced fee for internet access membership only ( as I said, I e-mailed the suggestion to her).
It has clearly been flagged up to SCGB. Let's see what they do.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a lot of history on this. I have a file with evidence that the SCGB charged variable rates decades ago. Up until a few years ago, you paid more if you lived in the London area.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why would you have paid more if you lived in London Shock
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gerry are you very short?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oisin Osh Kelly wrote:
Why would you have paid more if you lived in London Shock

I think it was something to do with 'Provincial' members not having easy access to the clubhouse.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Gerry. I think it's best that your question is addressed on the SCGB site. Do you want to start a thread over there on the subject of variable membership rates?

Not particularly, no.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Adam Holt wrote:
Gerry are you very short?

Not particularly, no. Laughing
ski holidays
so you don't suffer from wee man syndrome then? Confused
ski holidays
rolling eyes
ski holidays
hmmm ... thats a short contribution even by your standards ... Wink
snow report
If the SCGB just included a link from their site to this one that would seem to solve at least 2 problems........
a) it gives everyone access to a secure, monitored, open forum.
b) it presumably absolves the SCGB of any possible legal complications, if that was one of their worries ?

The SCGB site will often be a first calling point for newcomers - this one will take ages to reach such a wide spread of potential readership although it is growing fast and is clearly very popular with those who have tracked it down. The SkiBoard parallel forum established at about the same time as this one does not seem to have taken off in the same way and this might be an indication that 2 is 1 too many ? Or 3 if the SCGB re-open the stable doors......... Question
ski holidays
Given SCGB's initial reactions I did wonder whether they'd go for SnowHeads as a semi-detached discussion forum with the advantages you list. However this type of 'devolution' is not somehing I've seen before...

My suspicion is that they will return to an open forum with their current software, because it integrates with the rest of the site. This would make distributed moderating a bit tricky...

Around the web there are many ski=ing forums, my impression is that Ski Club was one of the busiest. It took quite a while to grow; many people naturally visit Ski Club for the snow reports and a percentage will look around and find the discussion forum.
latest report
Ian - Catch 22 if they reopen with the old system. Stolen identities, abuse, swearing, criticism of t' committee here we go again ....... If that happens, I suspect many readers would much prefer to stay here.

If the SCGB do reopen a public forum rather than going semi-detached (nice term), they'd be nuts not to learn from what has been achieved so quickly and so effectively here and on SkiBoard.

While looking for a replacement forum I found 'newsgroup Rec skiing alpine' mentioned somewhere above and it was horrible. The only good thing on it was a tip to come here. I am no expert on skiing forums but 60000 posts was impressive so I tend to agree with you that the SCGB forum (warts and all) must have been up there with the market leaders in terms of content at least - if not in other respects. We'll see what transpires .......
latest report
There are some new posts on SCGB by Neil Britten (Council member, but not representing Council). He is talking about acknowledged coexistence - i.e. we cross link with each other - SCGB maintains a members only area but links to SnowHeads as an open area and we put in a reciprocal link. I think this is a pretty good idea

We've managed 2000 posts in 8 days - admittedly in high season and admittedly with me making 200 with rather low snowsport content. Very Happy

He also hinted that an upgrade in their own discussion software would not go amiss.
snow report
Cross-Linking in both directions sounds eminently sensible - I for one would be very happy if NB can persuade the SCGB to do just that. How do the 'management' of this forum feel about this ???

TVM for the info which presumably comes from the members' area.
Numbers of Posts - never mind the quality feel the width. Cool
snow report
Yes - from the members only area - I'm reluctant to copy posts over from SCGB members only.

I've started a market research thread inside the members only section to find out for how many people played a part in their decision to join Ski Club...it's one of the things we appear to keep returning to.
snow report
The question of whether this site would flourish, or not is probably not very difficult to address. I think I read in a thread someone asked if the media had been informed. If a press release were drawn up by anyone on this board and distributed to the media they would jump at it. The media love the establishment making a mistake. I wouldn't like to kick the club too much even though they booted us all out but a positive message could easily be broadcast which would increase the numbers using this site. Once the message is out there it tends to gain a life of its own. After all, we all found the SCGB site.
I personally do not want to post on 2 sites. I think that both will suffer. It would be best to either return to the SCGB fold or break away completely.
We have the opportunity to create something really good here and the cameraderie that already exists is a valuable asset which should not be ignored or undervalued. My vote will continue to remain here but to build on the foundation that is already here very quickly.
snow report
For God's sake let's not involve the Press; either no one will pay any intention or a storm beyond all reason will arise Shocked
snow report
Well put Ian.
snow report
My personal opinion is that the ski club has done wonders for British snowsports over the past 100yrs and deserves a great deal of respect as an institution. We all know it's faults: we've been harping on about them on their own site for the last two yrs Wink To their credit, they even seemed to have addressed some of them.

Ok, last week they made a pretty big boo-boo but I find it hard to maintain the rancour I felt 7 days ago having had such a wikkid week at snowHeads.

I was horrified at the 'loss' of so many people, at the destruction of the community - however, due to the combined efforts of so many and the incredible dedication of some, this has proved not to be an end but merely a relocation (with nice, shiney new leisure facilities thrown in Very Happy ).

I am still concerned though, that there may be hundreds of people out there, occasional participants of the forum at scgb who might yet have trouble finding us. Yes, ideas like press releases and 'doorway' pages designed to 'rig Google' etc. have naturally come to mind, been discussed and discarded.
The point is: snowHeads has never been in competition with any aspect of scgb and frankly, I would rather it remained that way. It appears the council of the scgb, whatever their reasoning, would rather not run an open forum, s'ok with us Very Happy Scgb still has so much else to offer and snowHeads seems to work just fine.
It would just be nice if the people who came to the SkiClub site looking for this community had some indication as to where to find us when faced with that 'shut door'.

I think a little dialogue between those in charge of SCGB and those looking after snowHeads would be a step in the right direction.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
U Brain - Totally agree with your last 2 sentences. Hope it works out that way.

The rest is good reading too. Many thanks for all your efforts.
PS - I see we are Piste Bashing now. Next week yellow flashing lights ?
ski holidays
Hi guys, just found my way here thanks to Alan Craggs. Delay was due to having been away on the slopes, so I'm not complaining Very Happy

I'll try to get up to speed on what's been happening, but work's beckoning Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Hello Peeps, I finally found my way here. I'd also like to say i was totally gutted at what the SCGB did and more so, the way they did it. But at the end of the day there's no point cutting off your nose etc.

The way i see it is: Thanks to whom ever gave us this site (U Brain i believe) and if he is willing to keep this site going then i reckon the best bet is for SCUK to simply have a link to this site from their main site as 'an open forum', then all the newbies will be able to find their way here and ask questions etc like before. Due to the extra traffic this site will receive, it may be wise to have some advertising (no pop up's please Smile) Then the next time SCUK change their minds and want non members out, it won't matter so much?
ski holidays
What's SCUK? Is it anything like the fashion company FCUK?
latest report
Neh Neh
latest report
The_Mac_Daddy, I'm sure that's either profound or obscure, but you've lost me Confused did you mean NehNeh Question
snow report
They've made a few more changes to the Members' Chat area front end which anyone can view. New Chat Guidlines and Chat Rules. The legal eagles have been busy on the rules.

BTW here's a clip from the top of the SCBG Home Page
" When the Club started, over 100 years ago, its purpose was the same as today:

to share ski information ......"

Shutting the open forum really helped that objective along. Doh Exclamation Wink
snow conditions
When the SCGB closed it doors to me I was not a happy bunny, and if I remember correctly it was suggesting that the members wanted to restrict access to the forum, how many were asked? I can understand some dispair at the antics of the last few weeks on there I wasnt very impressed. I could have joined I guess but for now I couldn't see the benefit. I've got two littl'uns and only get away for a couple of weekends these days and £48 is the price of a flight to geneva and back if your lucky.

I also appreciate this matter of intellectual property that has been kept, I think it's a valid observation, and thought provoking.

Anyway, I like this place and will be staying. SCGB have had it as far as I am concerned.

Keep up the good work Very Happy
ski holidays
Its a bit sad really, I think more and more people within Ski Club are beginning to realise that the members only forum might be a really good way to talk about Club issues and business but at the moment it is overwhelmed by discussion on closing the open forum... Sad

but I do rather like it here Very Happy
snow conditions
I think this is a cracking place and have no intention of using the SCGB again. They made their intentions perfectly clear as far as I'm concerned. The way they acted was just rude and un-professional. Long live Snowheads. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
The latest posting is from one of our esteemed Council members urging everyone to vote for the Ski Club Website in the Snow Awards rolling eyes rolling eyes Come on now everyone, give them your support Skullie (I know I said I wouldn't visit the other place again but I've got a fascination with self-destruction Twisted Evil )
latest report
As I said earlier, if enough people nominate snowHeads, then you can vote for this one Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy