Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accommodation in the french alps

Poster: A snowHead
I would like to go with two kids, in the first week of April, I think it's a good idea to go to high station at the moment I have four options 1. Chamonix 2. La Plagne 3. Les Arcs 4. Val d'Isere. I would like to find an apartment what is the recomended internet site for this ? any recomendation about this will be welcom
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would look at les menuires. Easy to book accomodation.

http://location.lesmenuires.com/fr/hebergements
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would suggest Les Arcs of those four. We have been there twice with our kids recently. We booked both times through Ski Collection. Le Village - Arc 1950 is very nice as is La Cime des Arcs (arc 2000). Both are ski to and from the door. The snow should be really good there this Easter.

la plagne would be ok.

Chamonix would not be top of my list for a family ski holiday as the ski areas aren't linked and we like ski to the door type of places. I don't know Val D'Isere but I'd imagine that you will pay more for an apartment there than in Les Arcs/La Plagne and costs in resort would generally be higher.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Chamonix and it's got many great features but at Easter I'd suggest it wouldn't be the best choice for a family break. Val is great but you're paying for it's huge ski area and famous apres, depends if you think you'll get your money's worth.

P&V are a big French travel firm and they have apartments of varying star ratings across the alps. Homeaway is similar to Airbnb and has a big range of accommodation
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@yariv_har, Where will you travel from and how (fly, drive, train)? What level of skiers are you all? Will any of you take lessons? Any other facilities you enjoy in a mountain village? Can you book very late or do you prefer to book soon? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Menuires would be my choice - I was there last week! High, convenient access and sensible prices for France.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andyrew, @Valkyrie, Les Menuires can be lovely, but is often full of Scotsmen. wink Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree Chamonix not a good choice. Resort websites will have lits if accommodation possibilities.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
how old are the kids ?

how good a skiers are you/they ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks to all the advice. I'm doing mainly snowboard free-ride, but sure this time I'm for the kids, the older one start to do off-piste (9 y/o) and my daughter (6 y/o) she do the red slopes. So I have to find a way to satisfy both much as possible, Les Menuires is interesting. For Val d'Isere I understood is less good for the kids.
We probable landed in Geneve Switzerland.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bar shaker wrote:
@andyrew, @Valkyrie, Les Menuires can be lovely, but is often full of Scotsmen. wink Laughing

Which would obviously indicate that its very very good value for money Skullie
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@yariv_har, for those different needs I think Tignes (linked to Val D'Isere) would be good, with many apartments to rent. Les Menuires would be my next choice. Les Arcs/La Plagne third choice. Chamonix has great skiing but less convenient to travel around by lift.
If snow conditions are good, then areas closer to Geneva could be good, eg Portes de Soleil and Evasion Mont Blanc.
As others have mentioned, resort websites list accommodation. Also Owners Direct, Airbnb, Booking.com, etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why Les Menuires over Val Thorens? In April that 500m of altitude can be the difference between slush/mud and snow on the main runs back into resort. And I much preferred the VT skiing which is more North facing. There's plenty of ski in/ski out accommodation which is handy with kids in tow and don't imagine there's much difference in the pricing when you include everything. Tignes has similar qualities
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, for me, I prefer to stay a bit lower. Staying at higher altitudes affects a lot of people, eg sleep problems, sickness. At 2300m, Val Thorens is highest resort in western Europe. For competent skiers and riders, very easy to get to Val Thorens from Les Menuires. Certainly nothing wrong with the mountains and lift system in Val T!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yariv_har wrote:
1. Chamonix 2. La Plagne 3. Les Arcs 4. Val d'Isere. I would like to find an apartment what is the recomended internet site for this ? Thanks

There is not really one site that would give good selection of apartments for all four resorts.
As pam w suggests: try resort websites first:
http://www.chamonix.com/accommodation,19,en.html
http://winter.la-plagne.com/accomodation/apartments-chalets-apartment-hotels.html
http://en.lesarcs.com/ski-accommodation-les-arcs.html
http://www.valdisere.com/en/hosting/residences/

Good luck with your search.
ski holidays
I would have a good look at Tignes as has been mentioned. We've had many excellent April trips with our children in April to Tignes. Also if the weather is very bad or if you want a morning/afternoon off the aqua centre is very good.
ski holidays
Tignes would be my choice too.
ski holidays
yariv_har wrote:
Thanks to all the advice. I'm doing mainly snowboard free-ride, but sure this time I'm for the kids, the older one start to do off-piste (9 y/o) and my daughter (6 y/o) she do the red slopes..... For Val d'Isere I understood is less good for the kids.

At their level, I don't think that's true. http://en.valdisere-agence.com/ manages a lot of apartments. Tignes has better blue-sky skiing, Val d'Isere has more suitable for those not-so-nice days and you can always ski to Tignes on a good day, whereas on a bad day Tignes to Val d'Isere may not be possible, or much fun, or worst case may not be reversible.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 8-03-17 12:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'm going the same week and haven't booked accommodation yet. With the recent snowfalls height may not be a big issue. La Plagne and Les Arcs are the same ski area if you buy a Paradiski ski pass and if you stay in Les Coches or Vallandry you have quick access to either. Even 1800 or Plagne Centre would be OK. Lots of apartments on offer. Tignes/Val D is a longer drive in and IMO is slightly less favourable to your group but would still be a great choice. Chamonix you can forget.
latest report
dogwatch wrote:
At their level, I don't think that's true. http://en.valdisere-agence.com/ manages a lot of apartments. Tignes has better blue-sky skiing, Val d'Isere has more suitable for those not-so-nice days and you can always ski to Tignes on a good day, whereas on a bad day Tignes to Val d'Isere may not be possible, or much fun, or worst case may not be reversible.

You could argue that the tree runs around Les Boisses (now Tignes 1800) and down to Brev, give just as good protection on bad days as La Daille and Fornet.
snow conditions
Les Menuires is very family friendly, that's one of their key target markets. Lots to do and lots of family entertainment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy