Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Good Friday is 30 March this year. Would Sella Ronda be reasonably reliable?

I would normally plan for somewhere high in France at that time as opposed to my usual Austrian options but fancy a change. I don't want to be skiing heavy wet snow unless I'm really unlucky with the weather.

Any suggestions for distinctly Italian resorts and beginner suitable but plenty of intermediate skiing? Is Sella Ronda a bad idea?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@andybomb1, that's quite late for the SR... Things are likely to be wet & heavy from lunchtime

I'd look at other options. I like Davos at Easter but it hardly fits your criteria...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andybomb1 we generally go to the Dolomites about the second or third week of March. As red 27 says, the snow can get heavy in the afternoons. I am going skiing again for an extra trip at Easter. But I am going elsewhere as although the snow might be good, there is a fair chance that it won't be. Still likely to be plenty of skiing, higher up and on North facing slopes. But Sella Ronda may not be great if that is your aim
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to Cervinia last easter and had a good time, little heavy low down but it was very warm. Resort isn't very beautiful but the food was excellent
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@grumpygargoyle, I thought of Cervinia but it's perhaps not ideal for newbies?

You're better off north of the alpine ridge once it's gets later in the season in my experience
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only done two easter trips so I'm just going on those really. Cervinia's not perfect for newbies, no, but for intermediates it's great. Lots of flattering cruising.

If avoiding heavy snow is important you can download in Cervinia (tho I'm aware many people find that a no no)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where is north of alpine ridge?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pila is lower but faces away from the sun so it holds up well
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowysarah wrote:
Where is north of alpine ridge?
From Cervinia, that would be Zermatt. More generally, at this time of year, north facing slopes tend to be better, to avoid full sun. Although most of Cervinia faces west and is high enough that it should be OK at Easter.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can get an idea of temperatures at Cervinia during Easter from their webcams, which have 2 years of archived video and weather data. Have a look at the Plan Maison cam, which is one lift up from the base (most skiing is above this height). cervinia.panomax.com/matterhorn

Hover your mouse over the time, centre bottom, then click on the date. This will give you a menu to choose any day over the last 2 years, so you can see how the snow looked and see the temperature.

The Plateau Rosa cam is higher up, but has the advantage of viewing right down towards the base (find where it marks the location of the Plan Maison webcam - the base/village is immediately to the left). cervinia.panomax.com/plateau-rosa
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@koru, thanks...that looks good enough for me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andybomb1, I was in Livigno over Easter weekend this year (14/15 April) and had excellent conditions with blue skies, sunshine, good snow until around 2 pm, then a bit slushy/heavy. None in the village on roads in, which made the drive easier. Good skiing there for the levels you're looking at
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Montana, that was looking like a great idea until I checked the transfer. Ideally I'd like to keep it under 2 hours.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah - we flew into Innsbruck and it was around 2 hrs 20 on clear roads and a very pretty, plus easy, drive at that time of year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sadly Innsbruck flight times (and prices) don't work for a weekend trip.
snow report
Im thinking of Cervina for Easter and booked flights LGW- Milan Malpensa £52 return + Bag 5-9th April
It 2 hrs according to google maps

maybe a option ??
snow conditions
Flights booked to Milan. I guess that confirms Italy with Cervinia the front runner so far.
snow report
andybomb1 wrote:
Flights booked to Milan. I guess that confirms Italy with Cervinia the front runner so far.

Hope you got a good price ??

Another option is Sestriere/Sauze d'Oulx/Claviere all part of the Milkyway also around 2hrs drive ...Im leaning towards Cervinia as it very high altitude also ive been to the Milkyway before but it does have a good late snow record ,I've seen thick snow on the webcams well into May
latest report
Flights are on air miles. Extra bags on the other half's BA silver status. It's always a case of weighing up times and prices for the miles v £'s but at holiday times miles usually win if there is availability.

Now it's really a question of a good ski school, accommodation and how far I can be bothered to drive in Italy which of all the places in Europe makes me think anything could happen soon.

Far too excited for something that's almost 5 months away and will have other trips before it.
snow report
hi again,
Would Courmayeur be any good? Think quite beginner but about to start getting about the mountain. It seems high enough. Perfect snow coverage isn't really going to be a big deal on this trip as long as it's not super slushy.
Thanks
Andy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy