Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Windblown Ice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Was skiing in the 3 Valleys last week and had a great time. Yesterday started off bright, calm and clear but in the afternoon the cloud came down, the snow started and the wind got stronger and stronger. My wife decided to call it a day about 4pm but I decided to squeeze in an extra run. I headed up Mont de la Chambre with the intention of skiing down into VT before returning to Reberty. On the way down the easy Blue into VT I noticed the two people ahead of me fall over simultaneously for no apparent reason. A few seconds later I was almost taken down by a blast of wind full of large bits of ice. The ice was irregular in shape and up to around 1cm across. Very painful on the face, all I could do was turn my back to the wind and wait for it to die down a bit. After the first gust had passed I skied down about a 100m before the next gust hit. Did this a few times then got to a junction and took the direct route back to Les Menuires, which put the wind at my back. I've experienced spindrift many times but I've never had anything close to the mini ice-storm that I had on that one piste yesterday. Anyone know what could have caused it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The wind blowing particles of ice Puzzled

I can remember skiing at Cairngorm and the wind being so strong that the ice connecting with exposed skin was drawing blood.

There is probably a 'rule' to cover this sort of thing. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Valkyrie, Nope. Both walking and skiing, I have experienced facing into icy snow snow in high winds and my face really stung. It may have been flakes of ice rather than snow - but not as vicious as you describe.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Peter S, The rule ? MTFU.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter S wrote:

I can remember skiing at Cairngorm and the wind being so strong that the ice connecting with exposed skin was drawing blood.
There is probably a 'rule' to cover this sort of thing. Laughing

Yep; been there. Not far off Finland earlier this year, too.
Plays havoc with one's full make-up, you know Smile
The rule? Wear a damn good balaclava ( or one of them fleecy neck/face/head contraptions or do something inventive with some buffs or snoods if you're a more modern dude). Also bugs up the facials... Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy