Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are the worst skis sometimes the best?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Harry Flashman, its down to balance of budget. Yes, I could have spent £1500 on a bike, but would it give me much more satisfaction than pelting around on one that costs £900? Likewise I get a lot of satisfaction from keeping up with people that spend £££££s on bike or car.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@Harry Flashman, Can I judge you more on your personalised plate and that you've just put normal unleaded in it over and above the car itself? wink

Probably! Although that's the car's original plate (My Mum bought the car in 1996 and it's been in the family ever since). And VPower is wasted on a car tuned for 95RON.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Harry Flashman, its down to balance of budget. Yes, I could have spent £1500 on a bike, but would it give me much more satisfaction than pelting around on one that costs £900? Likewise I get a lot of satisfaction from keeping up with people that spend £££££s on bike or car.

There is a sense of satisfaction parking up for a coffee at the various 'pit stops' around our way on a 'well used' steel frame hardtail, parts bin special, home built bike that cost less than the helmets, pads, and shoes of the other rider's there 😀
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The reverse snobbery thing is definitely real... but the grubby old titanium frame with duct tape a scavenged groupset and some bells and whistles from ebay on it definitely has the edge over some 80s hexcel neon jobs in terms of my wish list Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pynch, I wasn't kidding when I said that Ant found one of his titanium frames in a hedge. It was one of those glued-together Dynatech frames. Just outside Brighton. Fitted him perfectly, and then cracked at a joint about 8 years' later. Went back to Raleigh, he was quite honest about where he had got it....they replaced it with a new top end ti frame.

Another ti frame he has was one I got in Brighton, called 'Titanium Red'. it's a straight copy of an orange C16R frame, but in Russian titanium. At the fall of the CCCP many military fabricators were suddenly no longer being paid, so some guys in a MiG factory looked at the pile of ti tubes and asked themselves what could they make for foreign currency. Didn't take more than 30 seconds to realise that aircraft-grade ti tubing makes rather nice bicycle frames....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2,
How about my 1992 steel rigid stumpjumper? Owned from new. Does almost daily duty as a single speed commuter

On skis - I still love my 2005 stockli storm rider xls which got used 4 days in Feb because they were way better than any of my fatter skis in the conditions. But today I had an absolutely wonderful time getting face shots on my latest skis (white dot redeemers).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jedster, gosh, I remember when the choice was dawes ranger, marin muirwoods, and stumpy. I once overlooked a Cinelli Columbus rarity and could kick myself for buying a Cannondale m800 instead. That was way back in '84. Now, like you I have an Orange P7 rust bucket as my commuter hack.

On skis ... I think a couple of posters on this thread misinterpreted my position (fault = my unclear drafting?) I am NOT arguing that old always is best, or that old has the moral highground. Nope, certainly not, I love my new Scotts, and I greatly appreciate my new Peak P Heli jacket. New kit can be excellent. Nope, the point I was making is that sometimes, worry about damaging new gear can be an issue in performance. I have had a friend say 'I'm not leading on that, I've got a new jacket', or someone being tentative rather that suitably committed due to new skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I look at new ski gear (or gear for any sport) the same way I look at a new hammer (all be it a very expensive one!) - it's a tool, it's there to do a job and it's going to get used and abused, and then put away, properly cleaned/looked after. I love using older stuff as long as it's still in good knick and performs well.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can relate to this, I have a pair of Salomon QST 90's that I bought new but 2 seasons old in a clearance and are great. I also picked up a set of K2 Aftershocks for £60 on ebay as rock hoppers when we started having terrible beginnings to the season. The irony is that the K2's handle ice better and are generally more stable and I am now often picking them in preference to the Salomons. Not dissing the sallies this is again as we have had a low snow start to season. When the snow is thick or for off pisite and moguls the sallies flex and general handling is better. I guess its all about the right tools for the job. However the right tool does not necessarily have to be the most expensive one in the box.

Oh and my bike is a 1990 Trek Antelop and I still use it regularly for commutes, I am not as much of a nutter as you lot gallivanting up and down hills. If I tried it on the trek it would probably kill me. The only thing left that is original in all fairness is the Handlebars and frame. I have replaced pretty much everything else over the years. Picture below is not my actual bike, closest pic I could find on google)

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy