Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiking up for sunrise and first powder - sauze d'oulx

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi!

I'm heading off to Sauze D'oulx at the weekend for a week's boarding and I've decided to do something a little left-field. I want to hike up the mountain for sunrise, chill out while the sun comes up and then board back down and make my own lines.

I've never done this before. I've also been told is a really dumb idea and there's a good chance of death. anyway, I'd quite like a second opinion.

Anyone got any advice or tips? Obviously i'm going to need some super warm gear as its going to be cold as f**k at night. I guess a head torch? Should I be doing this in my snowboard boots or using alternative footwear?

Apart from freezing, what are the obvious risks? Attacked by killer snow squirrels? Do I need to prepare to defend myself from a pack of wolves by sellotaping broken light bulbs to my fists? am i an idiot and should I be spending my time drinking instead? I'm not exactly a mountaineer, but it's something that I'd really like to do.

Any help would be gratefully received,

beef
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@roastbeeef, Risks - getting lost ? Getting dehydrated or hypothermia ? Getting knackered climbing from Sauze at 1500m to, for example, Col Basset at 2424 ?

Have you any idea how many hours it would take you to walk up through snow nigh on 1000 m (over 3,000 feet ?) ?

If you are set on the idea, Wednesday looks the best day on present forecast. Officially, first light will be at 05.53, dawn at 06.27 and sunrise at 06.56.

A sensible idea might be to book yourself into the hotel at Sportinia, which would let you start off probably ¾ of the way up the hill.

Otherwise, ask for advice from, for example, the ski school, when you are out there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Advice? Don't do it on your own, especially if it's your first time. Maybe see if there are any tours that you could book on.

Obviously people do tour in the dark, but they'll likely be on skis or split boarding. Walking in powder for any distance will be ridiculously hard work.

If I were you I'd hit the bar the night before and then go to bed, wake up and ski first lift Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Getting dehydrated or hypothermia

Nothing like being melodramatic Shocked

If you think you can manage the climb go for it. Going up the piste will be fairly straight forward but obviously longer and I'm assuming you will have been there a couple of days and got your bearings. The pistes will be hard packed so won't be to bad and will be easy to follow. Take a head torch and your phone and a battery bank and a camera. Snowboard boots will be fine . Id say ignore the drama queens and go for it and have fun. Also get a rucksack you can strap your board too.

The hotel ain't a bad idea either tho Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 3-03-17 23:05; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Someone's been watching "Chalet Girl".
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Someone's been watching "Chalet Girl".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chivdog, Very Happy my first thought too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There isn't really that much to it - the hardest part is working out the timing so you're not hanging around on the top for too long (if you're planning to camp out or ski down by head touch/full moon this is irrelevant).

Take a drink and some spare layers just in case, hike up a blue piste, worst comes to worst just strap your board on and you can ride back down in a few minutes.

Do watch out for piste bashers though, particularly any using a cable winch (unlikely on a blue).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a quick rough idea of time it takes to Climb for your reference
Simple terrain, a jong will cover roughly 250 vertical an hour skinning a lot longer boot packing. Not sure how high you're thinking of going. Don't even consider taking 1 step off the piste with out beeper shovel and probe, its illegal to do so in the Piedmont area. I'm also guessing you don't have the experience of the skills to be exposing yourself like that
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've no experience in this what so ever so can only add the "bleedin' obvious" that is; make sure to tell someone responsible where you're going, your anticipated route and what time to expect you back.

Stay safe, have fun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for all of the advice, especially @geeo

I'm only going to walk up the piste, and yea the idea was that if it gets too hard I'll just strap up and board down.

@deerman yea I've assumed it's going to take a couple of hours. thanks for the info re: sunrise. I was thinking about doing it Wednesday anyway actually. but that works perfectly, I can set out at 4am and see how far I get in 2 hours.

@chivdog never seen chalet girl. sounds like the worst movie ever.

@clarky999 thanks for the advice. I'm going to try and find out when the piste bashers come in so I can avoid them as much as possible

I'll make a post when I get back so you all know whether this was dumb or not. if I don't post by the 14th of march I didn't make it back and therefore you have a statement for anyone else asking this question! hah (probably shouldn't joke about that)

thanks again for all the advice.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Be aware that it'll be light well before sunrise and that the local sunrise will depend on where you are in relation to the local relief. Some parts of a mountainscape will be in shade for hours and hours after others are bathed in glory.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm gonna leave my gopro out on timelapse on the first night to try and find out what time the sun hits the piste I'm planning on walking up. from there I can work out what time to start my ascent. our hotel is right at the base of it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check with the piste office they are not doing avalanche control work in the morning (the normal time to do it).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy