Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Private v Group lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Im sure this has been debated before, but just wanted some opinions.

Heading to Pas for my 3rd year skiing. 1st year in Kitzbuhel had an amazing instructor & progressed really well. 2nd year in Ischgl had a really nervous instructor who took us on the same run continuously & didn't push us at all. I moved groups & got a much better instructor but he was more about speed than technique & most of the lesson was in German so I was a bit lost. This year I would really like to improve my technique - so the question is do I go for group or private lessons or a mixture of both. Would I benefit from a few hours private or would I be wasting my money?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nooner, There's loads of discussion on this around....the general consensus always seems to be that you can't beat a private lesson. If you're with someone of the same standard you can share one instructor between two (that's what Mr HH & I do) halves the cost or you can have twice as many lessons!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went to Soldeu for my 1st year and had group lessons which were really good. The 2nd year, I went to Soll and had group lessons, but the instructor was c***. 3rd year - Les Deux Alpes which was group lessons and some private lessons with easiski. This year, I am going to Selva and have booked only private lessons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nooner, I've never taken a private lesson before, but am thinking about it now having not had any the last few trips. A friend was also trying to work this out, and we came up with the following pro/con list ignoring the possibilities of who the instuctor is ...

Group Pros:
Social fun learning
Benefit from seeing others mistakes and learning from them
Potential repetition/re-inforcement of what to do/not to do
A bit of 'motivational competition'

Group Cons:
Standing around getting cold
Being tied down by the 'weakest link' (hopefully not you!)
Less individual attention

Private Pros:
Probably ski as much in an hour as you would in a morning without standing round
No weakest link to slow things down
More time to practise/explore
Probably more individual and tailored attention in an hour than in a morning

Private Cons:
More expensive
Less time being able to follow/emulate an insturctor and see how they cope with different terrain
Don't benefit from the mistakes/good examples of others

Our solution - get together with 1 or 2 buddies at a similar level for a mini group private lesson. That way you get to mix some of the benefits of both.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At their best, private lessons a great, but you can end up with an instructor you don't click with (or who's crap). The best lessons I've had have been when 2, 3 or 4 of us (friends) of roughly the same level have had the same private instructor for several days over the hol., for several years in a row. It did wonders for all of us. On the other hand I've had a couple of one off private lessons which were a complete waste of time and money.

Personally, I'm not keen on 1 on 1 lessons; I think it's much more fun if there are two or three of you.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 3-02-06 13:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
homphomp & richmond, glad to know our conclusion appears to work - we will put it to the test in a few weeks time Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ideally we would put together a small private group, but the 3 friends Im going with are all at totally different levels so would just be me. I have really enjoyed the social aspect of ski school, too much on a few occasions! So might go ahead with group for most of the week & maybe throw in an hour at the start & at the end of the week. The group lessons are so cheap in Pas that an hour or two of private shouldnt break the bank. If going for an extra private lesson what is the normal duration?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nooner, I'd suggest that if you're going to have a couple of hours private you do it in one go, after you've had time to get you ski legs back (assuming that this will not be your umpteenth ski hol this year) and leaving enough time to practice what you've been taught. An hour isn't really long enough to get going, in my experience.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nooner, You don't say how many of you there are in your party?

edit: yes you did, but our posts crossed! Very Happy

We (family of 6) have had private lessons together at several resorts and a couple of times had group lessons as well. Generally I think group lessons are much less value (but then they are cheaper) for the 'cons' listed by agavin above.

If I was on my own though, or maybe just with Mrs Ax, small groups could be fun for the social aspect. In fact we're off to Alpe d'huez with Club Med next week and group lessons are included in the price so we'll certainly give them a try.

I disagree with the cons agavin, lists for private lessons though. The only negative is cost, and that's down to your wallet. You'll learn more and improve more 1 on 1 than you ever will following a big line down a hill.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AxsMan, Currently, the most benefit I think I have had from group lessons has been when the instructor has demonstrated something, and then asked people individually to do it and provided feedback. This way, you learn from others mistakes which are potential mistakes for yourself as well. I am sure my opinion will change in lots of ways once I have had some private lessons though - but at the mo, this is something I imagine I 'may' miss from group lessons.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond, If only it were my umpteenth hol this year! Take your point, a couple of hours mid-week once the ski legs are back might be the plan. I know on day one I will ski like a donkey so better to do that in the group where I can blend into the background!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nooner wrote:
richmond, I know on day one I will ski like a donkey so better to do that in the group where I can blend into the background!

Same here!!

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
agavin, Understand your point, I just found group lessons much more frustrating than having a larger share of the instructors time. In reality our private lessons were in groups of 2 - 6 (all family members) so the opportunity was still there to learn from others. Smile

I also agree with richmond, two hours are better than one. In Val D we had four hour lessons with Eric from Topski - by the end I was completely kn@ckered! (but felt much improved!) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red Leon wrote:
nooner wrote:
richmond, I know on day one I will ski like a donkey so better to do that in the group where I can blend into the background!

Same here!!

Laughing Laughing

And here! (and probably days 2-6 as well Very Happy )

But if I worried what I looked like, I'd probably never go out in public! Sometimes you just have to say "WTF" (and have private lessons Very Happy ).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nooner, I think one-on-one with an instructor would be a pretty intense - not necessarily good - experience. Last week, I skied as part of a class of 4 with easiski at Les Deux Alpes. Right up there with the very best tuition I have had. Easiski made sure she had a class of similar standard. She was able to analyse each of our skiing styles promptly, and allocate us individual things to do, as well as giving us group exercises to work on. We saw each other ski, of course, and talked to each other about it. Also part of learning, I guess. I can't imagine a better way of doing it. The lessons were 2 hours each day throughout the week. During the rest of the day, the group split amicably into two groups of two, and we skied around enjoying ourselves, but also consolidation on our last lesson. Really good stuff. I think arranging lessons in a small group with a good instructor (and easiski is one of the best) is the way to go.

As it happens, our group enjoyed itself so much, we found ourselves meeting up together each evening in one of the bars at Deux Alpes -often with easiski. But that was a bonus - can't say that will happen every time, everywhere.
snow report
Hmm, lots of differing opinions - but I suppose thats what you get when you ask for them!

Nick Zotov, not thinking of taking only private lessons, just a couple of hours to iron out some problems. Unless you get really lucky it is hard in a group to address problems in any depth. Would be great if I could find a few people at the same level as me to share a few hours, but is probably unlikely.
latest report
nooner Andorra has a rep for good group lesson instruction. My experience of it = good, but the group size tended towards the large size (say 10 pax).

But by your 3rd or so holiday, you tend to be a higher level of "learner" and will often find the group size for your skill level has self-culled to only 3 or 4 (everyone else having assumed they don't "need" lessons anymore).

Whatever kind you chose, I'd get the lessons started at the very beginning of your holiday. A good instructor will pick up any bad habits pretty much immediately. There's no point going off to "get your ski legs back" coz all that does is let any existing bad habits become more ingrained. You'll only spend your valuable instruction time having to unlearn them, rather than learning new skills and progressing.

BTW, you can't really dip in and out between group and private lessons within one holiday.
Group lessons invariably are fixed to last the the week. The alternative is private lesson/s.
Having said that, you might well find a school willing to mix&match - but you'd have to agree it up front.
snow report
Manda, Sorry, Im probably not being clear - I am planning to take group lessons for the week, but was discussing whether to add on a couple of private hours in the afternoon. richmond, was making the point that it would be better to add in any private lessons during the week rather than the start, after a couple of days of group lessons & when my ski legs had returned. Thus making the best use of any private time.
ski holidays
FWIW, some schools offer group lessons that last for e.g. 3 days, and in some you can join them whenever you want to (which seemed to work fine for our kids in Canada).
snow conditions
nooner,

There is an option between the two you mention , similar to what Nick Zotov did. Book a holiday thet includes group instruction but run by the instructor(s) . The best instruction I ever had was through Dave Beatties skivolution - no connection other than as a satisfied customer. Last time I went ( 4 years ago) I was taught by the current head of BASI ! The weeks instruction was part of the holiday , but the chalets and food were of a very high standard, personal service and great instruction in very small groups ( of a similar level of ability) with instrucors who speak english as a first language. This for me is the best of both worlds - better than group instruction with a "ski school" yet cheaper than private lessons - but with all thier advantages. There are several operations like this through the alps - I wouldn't go any other way now for ski teaching.
ski holidays
nooner, in my case I told easiki as honestly as I could what my standard was - and she dropped me into a small group of like-standard skiers, each of whom thought his/her problems were being addressed in depth. But I can see you need an instructor prepared to do that. But if you are after 2 hours only, I guess one-to-one would work.
snow conditions
stevepick, Sounds like a great idea, maybe for next time as we are already booked & paid for (& counting the days!).

Nick Zotov, Thanks, will probably try a couple of hours later in my holiday - worth a shot to see if it dramatically improves my skiing wink

Ive heard pretty good reports about the quality of ski school in Pas & I know have the guts to speak up if Im not happy with the teaching/group so will hopefully get a good group & challenging instructor.
snow conditions
nooner, Not sure when you are going - but you can get private lessons in the UK at your nearest artificial slope.....
ski holidays
Thanks ski, have had dry slope lessons in the past (in Northern Ireland we only have one) but am always wary when so close to the holiday in case of accidents. Last year I had a pretty painful fall on the dry slope, luckily it wasnt close enough to the holiday to cause any problems but has made me cautious.
snow conditions
The lessons I am taking in Selva are 1½ hours per day for 3 days.
latest report
I just want to confirm that Nick Zotov, is not on my payroll!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Remember, everyone that "Group" does not always mean large numbers. Check out wherever you're going. Groups of max 6-8 are not at all unusual these days. IMO up to 6 is OK for a teacher, but over this it does tend to become "instruction" and not coaching.
snow conditions
My wife and I had a group lessons in Courchevel this last week.

It worked fine for us both at the beginning but my wife didn't progress as quickly and then found the group situation more difficult, so we shelled out and got her a two hour lesson and she improved dramatically.

my advice would be play it by ear and see how it goes. If you have a small group all of similar standard and the instructor is good then that is perfect and I would really miss the social element.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy