Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal overbooked us in Arc1950 ten days before we fly out (now more of a trip report!)

Poster: A snowHead
Exactly Happy And especially if we end up driving, as we want to do at some point in the future as that's got to save a fortune on Easter etc flights.

The forecast for Saturday afternoon/evening is currently sunshine, and the balcony faces south west overlooking the piste.. no idea if a mountain will get in the way but it's still got to be good, right? No idea how the weather will go the rest of the week but as long as we have at least one or two days of sunshine I'm happy.

@Ravelin, so true. It's always organised chaos getting the routine sorted on that first day! Especially with all four skiing for the first time this year.. we'll have earned all the wine we'll end up consuming! The youngest has only just potty trained so we might try and make her wear pull-ups in her ski gear.. she is VERY proud of not needing nappies and insanely stubborn and unreasonable(!) so I am already anticipating the epic battle of wills.

We're bringing along a spare version or two of everything almost - thermals, gloves.. lose one, they can probably squeeze into a wrongly sized one, right? At least the lessons don't start until half nine!!

So looking forward to it snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Three more sleeps!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The youngest has only just potty trained so we might try and make her wear pull-ups in her ski gear.. she is VERY proud of not needing nappies and insanely stubborn and unreasonable(!) so I am already anticipating the epic battle of wills.

For what its worth we did this last month and will be doing the same this month in Sweden. We found as long as you call them pants not nappies she's okay!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@vjmehra, Good tip, thank you! Has to be worth a try..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As I am the eldest of 4 siblings, a packing tip from my Mum. She used to pack a bin liner /plastic bag of stuff for each of us girls, stick a label on it with our names on , then pack it into the suitcase. Then all the gear for each was all in the same place.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, It's a very good tip, and we do actually do something similar! All their stuff is crammed into a plastic bag each in the main suitcase, then when we arrive at the accommodation they live out of that bag for the week. Fortunately with skiing, unlike other holidays, there's not a lot of different clothing involved which makes it a nice easy holiday in that regard.. it's a nightmare for things like camping when you have NO idea what is in store for the week!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sparklies, tell me about it, worst holidays were always the camping, followed by the caravan.
I have very bad memories of Cornwall where we were washed out of the tent on the second night, and had to cram into the car about 3am, as the sleeping areas of the tent had flooded. Mam and Dad slept on camping chairs in the front end of the tent. It was only the second night of the holiday and we'd driven all the way from Co. Durham.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, ohhh, I can imagine! I grew up in Cornwall and know all about the misery of relentless rain - although thankfully not a washed out tent! That must have been utterly miserable! Camping is brilliant when the weather is lovely, you have lots of space around you and there is nobody antisocial nearby. Unfortunately we've yet to manage all three for more than a night!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sparklies, @Hells Bells, Interesting! I loved camping (tent) holidays as a child, but they were always to the warmer parts of Europe. As a parent I loved our caravan holidays, both summer and winter though rarely in the UK. You can just load the caravan at the beginning of the season and be ready for off whenever the mood takes you, or time/income allows lol. As a parent I have never done a TO, or flights ski holiday, so much easier to throw everything in the car and drive to resort.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CaravanSkier, we never went abroad. Holidays were in Northumberland or occasionally Scotland. They took the caravan to France and left me and my sister behind when I was working my summer job and sister was waiting for O level results.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CaravanSkier, The children absolutely adore them! I don't mind them so long as we're not being constantly rained on.. which has happened more than I would like. We have the tent in a trailer, and the camping gear in crates we just shove in the car, so there's not much in the way of camping-related packing.. but it takes forever to set everything up once we're there (and put it away at the end) so that always puts me off a bit. We've only ever camped in the UK so I can see if you've mostly been overseas that explains a lot!!

But when the sun is shining and the children are off playing with their new friends on a rope swing somewhere, and we're toasting marshmallows with a glass of wine, it's brilliant!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, Sounds like you got a raw deal!

@sparklies, Yeh! My memories of tent camping as a child do indeed include my parents fiddling around for ages getting set up and packing up, but I don`t remember that including me much lol. One of the things that did surprise me about taking a caravan as opposed to a tent (I had no real experience of caravanning until we already had our children) was that everything was just 'ready'! We always set off with the beds ready made, we could always use one small area to eat at (even if I had to perch on a tiny stool) and the cooking/heating were just a switch away from being operational. So overnight stops enroute to the Alps, or elsewhere, were a doddle. The negative was that I would have struggled to be the tow driver should the need have arisen on anything other than normal unsnowy roads (but our insurance covered that possibility). My OH on the other hand grew up caravanning and has no problems towing even in grotty conditions with snow chains on the car. Adding/taking down an awning if you use one on site does require more time and effort but somehow because you have already got the kids sorted, had a glass of wine, eaten, had a glass of wine, admired the scenery, had a glass of wine ...... doesn`t seem so bad lol
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CaravanSkier, I can totally see that about caravanning. The idea appeals, I can see why so many people with grown up children (so not as much space needed!) do it as it's perfect. As you say, the main worry for me is towing. I've towed a trailer but still live in fear of needing to reverse, it would be even more hectic with a caravan, and the snowy roads.. argh.

Putting up an awning sounds fine, that part never really takes long. It's all the bed sorting out, kitchen stuff etc.. goes on forever. Caravan fixes that, clearly!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sparkliesShouldn't you be packing, and checking, and checking again?

Reversing a caravan is fairly easy compared to a trailer and you soon get the hang of it. Trailers are more difficult because they are closer to the car and therefore even small adjustments can change the angle quite a bit. We started out with a tent with our 3 children, trailer, roofbox etc to fit everything in. If I ever had to reverse the trailer I generally found it quicker to jump out, unhitch, turn around, re-hitch. Never had to do that with a caravan.

Even though I've towed quite a bit, Scottish single-track roads, narrow Cornwall roads etc I'm not sure I'd want to do it in heavy snow. Although saying that, the day we went to pick ours up from Edinburgh and take it home to Aberdeen, one Jan, it snowed quite heavily for a bit north of Dundee. I'd towed my parents caravan though so I wasn't a complete novice at the time.

As for putting up awnings/tents being 'fine'. You must be better than us at it. The description "divorce in a bag" was never more appropriate, although we've managed to stop short of that thanks to post-set-up wine/beer.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's interesting about caravans being easier! I tried practising with our trailer when we first got it in the massive car park and failed miserably. As you say, somebody jumps out and unhitches it and walks with it!!

Packing spreadsheet is gradually turning green! Luckily skiing is relatively simple to pack for compared to so many types of holiday, and lots of stuff (medicine, some toiletries etc) is still in the same bags from our last holiday in August. We've been slowly working through everything all week Happy

For the interested.. Crystal STILL have not got back to me over the ski school!! I don't think they will now. Best case scenario they know I contacted the ski school directly and they just can't be bothered to email me, worst case, they ignored an urgent email from a customer about to fly out about how they fecked up their childcare despite assurances. It's truly rubbish and I won't risk them again, no matter how nice the lady I dealt with was. Sadly, she is not the entire business!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Crystal finally got back to me this afternoon (yes, the day before we fly, even though I emailed them much earlier this week). They insisted the resort team had made the booking and the children were all booked into ski school. Well, yes they are, because I contacted the ski school myself! Whether they're reporting they're booked in because they've just checked and they are (thanks to me) or they did do it themselves and the ski school messed up I guess we'll never know.

All that truly matters at this point is that the children are booked into ski school, we have an absolutely BRILLIANT apartment and we're off at 4am tomorrow morning for an incredible week!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Just finishing up the last bits of packing now the children are in bed and ready for an early night (I hope!)
snow conditions
sparklies wrote:

@Arctic Roll, that's insanely convenient for picking up the skis! Our first family holiday in La Plagne, and we were staying in a P&V self-catering apartment right at the top, and the ski hire ship was the Skiset halfway down. Lugging all that gear up with children who refused to carry much.. bad memories. It was the same again in Tignes - chalet right near the top in Le Lac, ski hire shop right at the bottom. Hmm.

Even when we book with a TO, I don't always book hire through them as (a) they often don't pick a convenient hire shop (b) they don't always pick a good hire shop and (c) it's been more expensive than booking direct with the shop the last couple of times. I like the convenience of a TO getting me from the airport to my accommodation, but unless they're giving discounts, there's little (if any) benefit of booking lift passes etc through them.
snow report
@sparklies, been following your trials with interest. Hope you have a great (and straightforward from here on in) trip!
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, I happen to fully agree with you! The only reason we did this time was because it was included pretty much for "free" with the package i.e. if we hadn't taken the option, we wouldn't have saved any money. By taking the package we saved a fortune on the lift passes so it was worth it. Worst case if the skis are crap, we'll just go pay for some in resort elsewhere directly. The last time we travelled I did indeed book them separately. Unfortunately ALL the ski hire places were at the bottom of the hill and none near our chalet!!

@Richie_S, Thank you!! Happy I may well update tomorrow once we're settled in the apartment to say how everything went with Crystal..
snow conditions
I have been considering using Crystal for almost the same trip NEXT year, vs self drive and booking apartments in 1950 direct... Had been swaying towards self booking even prior to hearing all this kafuffle, as I have enough experience now to sort everything out. This pretty much convinces me, I'm better taking full responsibility myself. It's unbelievable, really, in terms of what you've been put through.
ski holidays
@Richie_S, it is a shame, because there are a lot of good people who work at Crystal we've encountered over the years (childcare people, reps, chalet staff, the lady I spoke to on the phone to sort out the accommodation etc) But if you can't trust a tour operator to get it right when you're spending this amount of money, and have to chase so much up yourself, it just isn't worth it. Your self-booking plan sounds a lot less stressful!

As you say, it's about getting the experience. First time out no way would I have wanted to self-book, but several ski trips later and I know what we need.

Right. The airport awaits!
ski holidays
So its 11 March........what happened
ski holidays
@warbis66, I expect @sparklies is in the air right now (assuming they didn't overbook the flight.... Shocked )
snow conditions
Currently waiting on the coach at Chambery. Crystal rep appeared to have no record of our request to sit near the front of the coach (lots of sick prone children) but thankfully we managed to get seats near the front through some miracle.

Plane missed its take off slot so we were delayed by half an hour and we're waiting again for another plane due to too many planes arriving at once, but sadly I can't blame Crystal for either of them Twisted Evil

Let's see if the rep has our passes etc.. watch this space!
latest report
Sounds like it might be one of those holidays. Chin up, don't worry about what you can't control, enjoy what you can and put it down to experience.
snow report
@sparklies, Crystal reps are no longer allowed to walk up and down the aisle when the bus is moving (a few fell and hurt themselves apparently) so I doubt you will get your ski pack on the bus.
snow report
@dode, He's definitely walking up and down!!

@ster, once we're in resort and have everything, we can put Crystal out of mind for the week Happy

So.. no lift passes, ski rental vouchers, nothing. There's a surprise.

They're apparently going to try and sort it out before we arrive (although there is talk of "we'll pop round with it this evening") but it seems the chances of us getting in a quick ski this afternoon are rapidly approaching zero!
snow report
We were given someone else's ski passes on one trip which wouldn't really have mattered too much if they hadn't been beginners. We were also booked into beginner ski class. Sorting them out was a nightmare as the lifts in the apartment blocks weren't working.
snow report
@sparklies, just smile, and think of that first G&T...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At least the snow is good and will still be there tomorrow. Crystal can't stuff that up.

Hope you have a good time from here on.
snow conditions
Ha! So, we got our lift passes. As they're area passes, apparently we get a half day on Saturday. It was 4.45pm by the time we got our skis sorted, enough time for one run in the glorious sunshine!

Husband looked after the youngest two and I took the two oldest down to the bottom of Marmottes, with the intention of getting the lift back up and repeating a few times. Scuppered immediately, when we discovered our lift passes apparently expired yesterday.......

So we stood at the lift, totally stuck and facing a long hike back up the hill with two very tired and hungry children. The rep (who, to be fair, has been trying hard and very apologetic) had not given us any contact details. Thankfully the lift lady let us on after taking pity on me about to burst into tears I think!!

Husband managed to eventually get the local number after ringing head office, and the rep did come round and apologise in person which was nice of her. Apparently the lift passes had been activated just before four, and at four they all get cancelled by the lift pass company.

Apparently they'll work tomorrow.. they better!!

Now finally having dinner and a lovely glass of wine Happy

Tomorrow is another day! The ski school and childcare have everything on record, and so long as the lift passes work we're sorted Very Happy
ski holidays
@sparklies, How's the apartment?
latest report
@Iski, it's absolutely brilliant! Makes it all worthwhile!! Beautifully furnished with loads of very soft rugs and throws.. and so much space!
snow report
Brilliant! Very Happy
snow conditions
@sparklies, glad to hear that it is all working out if not completely smoothly. If there are hiccups tomorrow, just remember how it all started and how much better off you are now: in the mountains with a great apartment, good snow and the prospect of a fab week of holiday ahead snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Ha! So, we got our lift passes. As they're area passes, apparently we get a half day on Saturday.

Quote:

Apparently the lift passes had been activated just before four, and at four they all get cancelled by the lift pass company.

Am I missing something - or do those two pieces of information seem incompatible?
snow conditions
Hoping it all went smoothly at the lift station this morning!
latest report
Hoping it all went smoothly at the lift station this morning!
snow report
@Tubaski, I know, right? I didn't understand it either, still don't. The rep didn't know about it either and they all thought that six day area passes give you a free extra half day. I have no idea what is true out of all that.

This morning we had a call from the rep, who realised that despite everything, three of our passes just weren't going to work. At least they checked - credit there. She came round with the new ones before 9am. AND ALL OUR PASSES NOW WORK!! Very Happy

Overheard another family confused as to why their child wasn't getting ski tuition when they were sure they'd booked it on the website. The reps in resort must have been dealing with this all season, I feel for them. They seemed confident they could fix it though. I could never be a rep, especially when you're regularly having to fix head office screwups and you're the front end.

Okay, so until our transfer back, we're Crystal free and can concentrate fully on having a lovely time! The pistes were in brilliant condition, a little bit slushy below 2000 feet by the afternoon, but not like the "fun" I've had trying Meribel in mid April, heh.

One thing I love about Les Arcs and why I wanted to come back and visit properly after our day trip a few years ago are all the beautiful tree lined runs around 1600.. and today we also explored some of the ones above 1800 too. Absolutely gorgeous! Okay, so they're not technically challenging but skiing is boring if you just do one thing all day and I'm not at a level where I am able to manage technically challenging for long anyway!

Most of the day we were just finding our feet, my husband in particular who is still having epic battles with his boots post his latest Bicester visit! He did actually manage the best he has with those boots today but he's still not skiing pain free. We have a private lesson tomorrow morning, hoping I can get ideas to reduce my usual thigh burn problem. That said, I think a lot of it is simply me fighting the mountain, because when I'm confident enough to just "let go" and not stare at my skis, it's a lot better. Skiing with my 8 year old is the WORST because she is not fast so I'm constantly braking with the associated howl from my quads.

The children were a bit of a mixed bag in their lessons. 10 year old totally fine (she's in Super Yeti this year - ESF Bronze equivalent I think?) 8 year old got moved down a group which doesn't surprise me (slow and overly fond of pizza rather than chips, shall we say..) 5 year old with ASD seems to be a lot more engaged than he was last year in Tignes, he is motivated to learn, and his teacher said he wasn't terrible which considering he spent last year lying in the snow a lot and not getting up, is a massive improvement! 3 year old, well.. to be fair to her, she has anxiety issues over being left with strangers even more than your average 3 year old - I could hear "MUMMMMEEEEEEE" echoing up through the town as we beat a hasty departure. And she was tired after the lack of decent sleep and excitement yesterday. That said, her teacher thinks she may be too young for skiing. They will try her again tomorrow. She does at least *want* to learn.

We're going to grab the 10 year old out of childcare tomorrow afternoon as she's more than capable of keeping up with us and loves skiing, especially the bumps at the side. They apparently went down the boarder cross today!

Anyway, it was a good day, we have an absolutely stunning apartment (still can't believe our luck!) and the weather forecast is sun all the way. Whilst a dump of powder would have been nice, our last two family holidays have been exclusively blizzards and strong winds, with maybe two afternoons at most of a little sunshine. So this is a real and much appreciated novelty!

Bring on tomorrow snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@sparklies, Its great to hear you are all having a lot of fun! Smile Enjoy!
ski holidays
@sparklies, good to hear the report - it's all panning out pretty good I reckon.

I had some thigh burning days on my first few weeks - and I was pretty young and fit back then. So yes, I think it's the nature of learning to ski and it will get better as you improve.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy