Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss vignette checks à la border

Poster: A snowHead
Other threads on this site mention getting to Geneva airport from Annecy side without the dreaded Swiss motorway vignette.

My question is: is this necessary for the reverse route, or can you be fairly confident of zooming out of CH on the motorway without being stopped?

ta!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 1-03-17 16:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
According to this document the Vignette does not only apply to motorways, but also to 'Nationalstraßen', so basically whatever you want to drive on in Switzerland you are going to need a Vignette.
The fines are SFR200 + the price of a Vignette, or SFR500 if you are trying tricks like not sticking your Vignette to the windscreen properly...
Frankly, given my experiences with the Swiss police I would not even think about trying to mess them around.

The doc is also quite interesting because it details the fines for speeding, which, frankly, are quite breathtaking!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info, but you've not responded to the question

We can discuss the financial risks (or indeed, the moral aspect of a nation state forcing the purchase of an annual toll on an individual who wishes to make a 10 minute motorway journey) in another thread.

This thread was opened simply to ask what situation is encountered at the point of exiting Switzerland on the motorway in direction Annecy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the occasions when I haven't had to pay the rip off charge when going to the airport on the way back I have never had to pay for the vignette.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 1-03-17 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@atergo, To buy a vignette or not for the short journey out of Switzerland is purely down to the strength of your sphincter when passing through the heavily patrolled border without one. The Swiss Border Police are heavily armed, well trained and well equipped, quite often they are supported by the Swiss Army Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
atergo wrote:
Thanks for the info, but you've not responded to the question

We can discuss the financial risks (or indeed, the moral aspect of a nation state forcing the purchase of an annual toll on an individual who wishes to make a 10 minute motorway journey) in another thread.

This thread was opened simply to ask what situation is encountered at the point of exiting Switzerland on the motorway in direction Annecy.
you enter Switzerland so you buy a Vignette. Your risk.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
According to this official site:
https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home/information-individuals/documents-for-travellers-and-road-taxes/motorway-charge-sticker--vignette-.html

The Swiss have 2 classes of motorway, if there is any doubt you can download the map of applicable roads, so you can drive lots of places without one.

As to the OP, from what I have seen from the bus there are more checks on the way in to CH at Bardonnex than the way out, that is no guarantee. You can come off the motorway at the junction before the border (direction Perly) and then rejoin the French motorway, it adds a few minutes (according to a friend!). However, you will still be breaking the law.......
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If they notice on the way out that's 200 chuffs ...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bordsurfin, it's pretty robust Wink

Don't worry, I'm not looking to bust out like a Butch and Sundance in Bolivia type deal

Just trying to avoid a pointless detour
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've never _noticed_ them checking on the way out. But I've always had a vignette (or gone through town) so I wasn't being particularly observant.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steilhang, it is basically motorways. There's a map on the CH site. Otherwise no vignette needed. @chocksaway, apparently they do indeed have two classes of motorway (news to me), but that doesn't affect needing a vignette on both.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, unfortunately not. Its any road that is owned and operated by the State (Bund), which is more than just motorways. There is a list of Nationalstraßen here.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steilhang, "any road operated by the state"!? It's best not to make wild statements without substantiation. A wiki list of roads means Jack Schitt, to be frank.

I don't know who "Dorothee und Gerd Winkler" in your first link are, but I'm not completely convinced their word is law in Switzerland either.

For info, it's motorways and dual carriageways. Try this link: https://www.ch.ch/en/swiss-motorway-sticker/

The clue is in the name 'swiss motorway sticker' wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steilhang, no, not all roads.

@chocksaway's link, https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home/information-individuals/documents-for-travellers-and-road-taxes/motorway-charge-sticker--vignette-.html has a link to a map showing exactly which roads do require vignetting. And it sure ain't all roads.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steilhang wrote:
The fines are SFR200 + the price of a Vignette, or SFR500 if you are trying tricks like not sticking your Vignette to the windscreen properly...
!

I did not know this, I bought a Vignette & just place it on top of the dash of the hire cars, that could have been intresting.
ski holidays
@atergo, Steilhang is 99%* correct - most roads in Switzerland are owned, paid and operated by the cantons or the local authorities (i.e. not by the state), and you don't need a vignette for any of those. There are some dual carriageways owned by cantons where no vignette is required, and conversely some national roads which are just one lane each direction. Confusing, eh? If you really want substantiation, the text of the laws are here:

https://www.admin.ch/opc/de/classified-compilation/20041429/index.html
https://www.admin.ch/opc/de/classified-compilation/19600028/index.html

* you don't need a vignette for a couple of exempt 2nd-class Nationalstrassen, and all of the few 3rd-class Nationalstrassen.

Pro tip - don't try any tricks such as putting grease/creams on the vignette so that you can take it off and sell it or put it in another car. The fine for "manipulating" a vignette is much higher than just being caught without one.

Anyway, to answer your question: very most likely, you won't be caught leaving Switzerland.

However, you are driving through probably the one place in Switzerland you are most likely to be caught... where better to do spot checks to generate revenue? The main problem is attracting the police's attention with not having a vignette and then getting the full inspection with according fines (no full license in car? 20 CHF! no ownership booklet in car? 20 CHF! forgot to switch your lights on in daytime? 40 CHF! bad tyre treads? 4x100 CHF! ...)
latest report
Steilhang said,
Quote:
...so basically whatever you want to drive on in Switzerland you are going to need a Vignette. ...

Which is patently not true. Not even 99%.

If you know how, vignettes are remarkably easy to remove.
latest report
@ibexaq, you make a clear and valid point. It would be foolish to take on unnecessary risk for so little gain. Better to keep giving the hornet's nest a wide berth..
Thanks
snow conditions
Quote:

It would be foolish to take on unnecessary risk for so little gain

Especially when it's not necessary... rolling eyes
snow report
A friend of mine has just got caught and fined going out of the country.
@under a new name,
Quote:

I wish I knew, I get fed up each year trying to get the little bleeder off
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I drive through Bardonnex frequently. There is almost always some hawk-eyed checking going into Switzerland but not going out. I once took a visiting friend back to GVA and forgot my passport. My sphincter was feeling sure this would be the one and only time I'd be asked for it, but it was OK.

I'd take a chance exiting without a vignette.

I have not infrequently seen cars being very thoroughly searched at Bardonnex. Often a smart car with young passengers. Am glad to be an old lady driving a Zafira!
snow report
A friend of mine has just got caught and fined going out of the country. @under a new name,
Quote:

I wish I knew, I get fed up each year trying to get the little bleeder off
Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@under a new name, I guess if you want to spend your time looking for roads that are not operated by the state (i.e are not Nationalstrassen) then you can avoid the Vignette. I personally have better things to do with my time. Yes the Vignette is easy to remove and stick on another car, and when they catch you it'll cost you 500CHF. Actually it leads to you being charged by the Bundesanwaltschaft ( Attorney General?) so might be more expensive than that. Not sure.
snow report
It is remarkably good value when compared with the tolls in France, Italy, Slovenia etc...
As you enter GE from Lausanne direction, the Police often have spot checks in February, as the previous years vignette is valid until the end of Jan.
CHF40 will buy you precious little else in Switzerland ( 2 beers in the Kempinsky, 2 McDonalds meals) , so rather than stressing over it, just pony-up the 40 chuffs and then relax.
latest report
@Steilhang, I don't, but you were being somewhat incorrect. Almost every motorway has an alternative, as far as I have bothered to notice.

How would they catch you? Vignettes are not identified to any vehicle in any way.
snow conditions
@under a new name, seems that people have been caught using vaseline to stick them on. I really wouldn't know.
I find it surprising the lengths people will go to to save 40chf on a holiday that is probably costing several thousand pounds. Each to his own I suppose.
latest report
@Steilhang, well, y'know, I am completely in agreement with you on that!

They are, even when glued, if you know what you're doing, pretty easy to remove, intact.
snow conditions
@under a new name - what's the "easy" way as I can free up some wind shield real-estate by using this method to take off my 2015 and 2016 ones ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WindOfChange, Our local garage sells removal kits. Which we bought 10 years ago and still has liquid in it. Can recall the solvent but there's a scraper and solvent in a pen which you apply, wait a few seconds and then use the scraper to remove. Use it carefully and it peels off intact. Or, it has on occasion.

Obviously, if you want to reuse it you need to be really, really careful!
snow conditions
It is a rip-off simple as. People who maybe use the motorway once(coming to France on holiday for example) have to pay 40chf for 14 miles.
ski holidays
@howiet, yep. But it's probably best to keep in mind that the Swiss police know its a rip off and know that there are lots of pissed off holiday makers just like you who they can catch and rip off even more. They love it! The Austrians do too by the way.
ski holidays
But the Austrians have a much fairer system I think for people who rarely use the motorways;

Toll Sticker Prices 2017:
A twelve-month sticker for private cars and motorhomes up to 3.5t is EURO 86.40 and for motorcycles EURO 34.40
A two-month sticker for private cars and motorhomes up to 3.5t is EURO 25.90 and for motorcycles EURO 13.00
A 10-day sticker for private cars and motorhomes up to 3.5t is EURO 8.90 and for motorcycles EURO 5.10
latest report
@howiet, I've always thought the Austrian system is a complete rip off. They know that nobody goes there for 10 days. It's always either one week or two, in which case you are paying nearly €18.
snow conditions
@Steilhang €18 surely better than €37? I detest Geneva airport for this and the parking charges but unfortunately I have to use it when flying back to Scotland out of season. They used to do special rates for people living in the surrounding areas but this was stopped a couple of years ago.
latest report
@howiet, you don't have to use the motorway...just like in France.

For your parking though, wouldn't you be better parking at say Sous Moulin P&R and taking the bus to the airport?
snow report
A couple of years ago we drove into Switzerland at Basel, we had bought the vignette at the service station in Germany and just tucked it into our UK licence holder. At the border the nice policeman reached in and stuck it onto the windscreen for us. "Oh that's what you're meant to do"!
ski holidays
@Steilhang thanks for the info. In May I am going back for a week so I think I would have to buy a month p+r? The bus takes around 40 mins?
snow report
@howiet, the vignette price in Francs hasn't changed since 1995. You just should've come in 2000 when it would have only cost you £15 - bargain! The only answer is to add to the congestion in Geneva by staying on the free local roads.

There will be fun and games when Germany introduces its vignette, the cost of which depends on the emissions class of your vehicle, which I'm sure everyone knows off the top of their head Twisted Evil At least they are enforcing it by ANPR so I won't have to fill in the last bit of my windscreen with another sticker.
snow conditions
P51 or P26 cheaper than a months ticket at the P&R http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-292/ vs https://www.geneve-parking.ch/fr/parkings/pr-sous-moulin

These guys even cheaper https://zenpark.com/parkings#Geneve

Valet parked for CHF 100 https://www.aeropark.ch/produit/reservation/?datedepart=05%2F13%2F2017&hourdepart=10%3A00&dateretour=05%2F20%2F2017&hourretour=12%3A00&reservation=R%C3%89SERVEZ+MAINTENANT
snow conditions
Thanks for the links. Zenpark works out at 57 euros and P51/P26 at 98 euros.

Anyone used Zenpark?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy