Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid Week Transfer Chamonix to Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need to travel (with skis) between Chamonix and Tignes on Tuesday 4th March (and then Tignes to Geneva airport on Friday 10th).

I'm considering getting to Tignes by going back to Geneva airport, but not sure if that will make things any easier?

Any tips for either of these journeys?

I'm hoping to avoid private transfers that cost hundreds of Euros each way if possible.

All thoughts or suggestions very welcome! Smile

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scared of Heights, Unless you have a hire car, I can't think of any way to go CHX-Tignes other than via GVA (but I have never tried to do so ... try http://www.rome2rio.com/)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Short of hitching (tricky with skis) I would have though Cham to GVA to catch the Altibus (deps at 1240, 1530 and 1915) would be the easiest. Altibus bit would be €115 return, 1st arrival on the Friday is 1040.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scared of Heights, hire car might be cheaper...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best bet is to go via GVA. €35 euro's with a repitable transfer company to get from Cham to GVA. Then I don't know how much it costs to get to Tignes. Alti bus is a good suggestion.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Easybus starts from €6 CHX-GVA...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Easybus starts from €6 CHX-GVA...

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.easybus.co.uk

Worth the risk? Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@N0rthernMonkey, friend uses wekkly no issues. Others have had issues. Who knows...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or if you want a more random approach, and can ski with your luggage, you could try:

Bus from Cham to Courmayeur
Get to La Thuile somehow. Probably taxi (or if you've no other luggage I suppose you could take the cable car up to Arp, and ski down the valley to the South-East which will get you pretty close)
Take the lifts and ski across to La Rosiere
Bus from La Rosiere down to Seez
Bus from Seez up to Tignes

Not one I'd do with much luggage, but might be more interesting than going to GVA and back
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Take the train from Cham to Bourg Saint Maurice, then get a local bus or taxi up to Tignes.

EDIT: Hmm, well, it's doable (just checked the timetable), but a bit of a mission. Only available train/bus combo takes over 6hrs and doesn't get into Bourg until 2222.

Go through the tunnel to Courmayeur, on up to La Thuile and ski over to Bourg...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the replies - plenty of food for thought there! Love the idea of skiing it but too much luggage this time. Via GVA does seem like the most sensible option then...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been considering Altibus but there are *so* many strongly negative reviews floating around that I am hesitant (and indeed, Easybus sounds even worse). I found a suggestion on a previous thread here to ask MountainSunLtd, but they've just emailed back to say they can't do it.

Any thoughts on the reliability of Altibus for this (type of) journey?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There will likely be some spare places on shared private transfers GVA-Tignes, e.g. https://www.facebook.com/interaplstransfer/posts/780999688729715. Have a look at the Tarentaise Transfers Notice Board: https://www.facebook.com/groups/850771538271311/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scared of Heights, Tens of thousands of people use Altibus a year successfully and never complain (or post a positive review). I have used them 4 times this year, on time with no snags, and have used them for the last 15 years with similar results as have many others in Tignes. Some difficulties arise because people don't confirm their reservation for the return and therefore the relevant taxy doesn't pitch up, they only have themselves to blame, the brochure you get with your reservation is quite clear and in English. The bus generally starts in Val and then comes to Tignes so not much of an issue for us at the end of the 'cul de sac'. Occasionally, the weather causes problems, but that is equally shared by any land based transfer option.

As an aside, getting a transfer for one on the back of an empty leg is now becoming more difficult as the Annecy Police have started enforcing the minimum of 2 pax for the licence that all the local minibus transfer companies operate under.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @chocksaway - good to know on both points.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy