Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self-catering - share your experiences please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

So after a great week skiing but a bad week of food we are wondering if self-catering might be the way forward. I am wondering if what we want exists in the self-catering market?

- sole use of chalet (6-8 people)
- hot tub
- well located
- major resort town
- large fully equipped kitchen
- ensuite bedrooms

Also whether self-catered chalets provide the simple things like:
- towels
- soap
- toilet roll

I'm just trying to work out if it is possible to hire the type of chalet that we had, with all of its amenities, but with us providing the cooking.

Thanks all
R
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rossyl, some things depend on the chalet owners or agents.

The key here is it is self-catering. You may have a small supply of soap and toilet rolls, but will need to buy more when you do your supermarket shop.
Most chalets (but not all) will provide bed linen and towels. You will have the option of hiring them locally if not.

There are plenty of 3-4 bedroom chalets/chalet apartments around that might suit you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have yet to stay in an apartment for a skiing holiday where I would describe the kitchen at "fully equipped".
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, come and stay in mine then wink. Most of the other apartments in our residence are well-equipped too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rossyl, Chalets Direct site might be a good place to start looking.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rossyl, Loads of options for you, just take some time looking at the various chalet / apartment rental sites. What could be worse than spending time looking for your next holiday. Our place sleeps 8 comfortably but we don't supply linen and do not have a hot tub but I'm sure others do.

You may struggle with a large fully equipped kitchen, we have hob, oven , fridge/freezer, dishwasher and microwave but the kitchen is open on to the lounge.

Just take care as not all apartments will have all the beds in bedrooms if that is important to you, which I am guessing it is if you have been to catered chalets. We have one double on a mezzanine. We could have another on the opposite mezzanine but it would be too many for the apartment.

We now much prefer self catering after years of chalets and hotels, with the kids it was just easier. We drive to our place and that allows us to take basics with us and shop in the valley. We also have the option of eating out as and when we want.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 13-02-17 17:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rossyl, if you have the £££££ you can obtain all of that no problem.

The biggest issue I would say is the change of mindset. In some peoples eyes having to cook and clean up afterwards means it's no longer a holiday. And certainly sometimes you feel less than enthused to start chopping, spicing, saucing of an evening. But it does mean the food is made to your spec, tasty and well done. Also, if you muck in as a group the hassle is minimised. I've done a few trips with a bunch of friends and because we took it in turns you only had to do a couple of nights.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rossyl, an alternative would be to find a local catering company that could provide evening meals for you. We have one in Serre Chevalier called Zeste. They can deliver pre-prepared meals or a proper catering service.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks very much -

With regard to websites:
chalets direct

Any others that are good?

Also is AirBnB worth a look?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
More and more on Air BnB, try Home Away as well.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rossyl, KenX and his wife look after a chalet in Chantemerle which may be suitable. It's on AirBnB too. Snowheads discount if you send him a PM. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/10048269?eluid=7&euid=3812dc1f-1c85-e80b-67ca-238d703ffeed&sug=51 .
I also have access to some other larger apartment in Le Monetier-les-Bains.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rossyl, "Self -catering" doesn't mean that you have to self cater, there are lots of catering companies that will offer anything from meals prepared and delivered ready for you to heat up through to a fully catered service of breakfast, afternoon cake and evening meal cooked for you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rossyl, pick a resort you want to go to and then look at tourist web site for rental companies etc - you'll find something which fits the bill, or at least close.

We switched to self-catering about 12 years back - personally find it easier and more relaxing to cook what we want when we want. Usually have a meal out at some point
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I much prefer self catering, but then I love to cook, and like to eat the food I cook lol Its often a challenge to produce meals in the Alps with plenty of veg, but so long as you stock up in a large supermarket enroute, before you climb to a resort its fine! My holiday rules; if I do all the shopping, someone else carries the bags, and if I do the cooking someone else does the clearing up!

This company provide some pretty good quality apartments http://www.chalet-altitude.com/en/ We have stayed at theirs in La Rosiere and Les Arcs. They will arrange morning bread deliveries and I believe offer an evening catering service with various options now also.

I`ve never had success with AirBnB given my recent requirements (generally large 5 - 6 bedrooms ensuite, or plenty of bathrooms all on one level or with lift) and although I have found some through Chalets Direct they have not been available when I have wanted them.

If you have less specific requirements there are many options, years ago before we took the caravan, we booked through the local tourist office and many resorts still offer this through their websites.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The hot tub is the one thing I've found hard to find in a self-catered place.

I did find what you're looking for in Morzine when I was looking earlier this season but didn't go with it. Found it on chaletsdirect.com
latest report
@NickyJ, or mine Happy

@rossyl, we advertise on homeaway.com, tripadvisor, airbnb and a few others. I'm afraid we are not all en suite and have no hot tub.

But I have no doubt you can find what you are looking for, most sites have pretty granular search facilities.

Many French hosts don't provide linen and towels (or, at least, historically did not). It's also normal in France at least for cleaning to be an extra charge.

Depending on resort, there seem to be many free lance caterers, with a wide range of qualities, prices etc. if that's what you want.
snow report
ownersdirect.co.uk
snow report
I understnad your feelings re catered chalets: we found that the food was never really the sort of thing that we would cook for ourselves. And really, I'm not that keen on sharing my family space with strangers. Hotels are fine, but you don't have any personal space other than your bedroom. I know this sounds a bit snooty - but it's more that we have a preference for personal space and like to do things our way. We also had bad experiences with some of the Tour Operators and while most were fine and some really good, we felt we could do better ourselves. So we switched about 15 years ago to self-catering and self-organised travel and never regretted it. The thing that we like about a self-catered apartment is the private space to relax, and ability to change plans to suit our mood.

Agencies and Tourist Offices in most locations have a wide repertoire of accommodation, both apartments and chalets. It's easy to organise your own flights and car hire or transfers. It probably helps if you can focus on one or two locations that perhaps you have already visited, so you can place the accommodation on offer within the resort and various facilities. Then look at some of the agencies websites.

We usually fly and hire a car, and just do a big shop en route to the apartment, or for a longer holiday, we drive our own car down, and shop en route. Of course, for some people, the idea of a holiday is incompatible with doing the cooking and clearing-up, and I can understand that. But as mentioned, if everyone participates, then you can find that you really can't be bothered with the cost/effort of going out, even if you intend to do so. There's nothing to stop you mixing some self-catering with eating out, for a break. Also, most resorts have cafés and caterers who will do food for you - you drop off the menu selections in advance, and they deliver.

I wouldn't necessarily discount apartments: there's also a trend towards apart'hotels where you have a spacious apartment but in a building with hotel amenities like restaurant, sauna, pool and underground parking.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 13-02-17 18:31; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Ownersdirect.co.uk/homeaway will levy a service charge for booking properties through them so if you do use them contact the owner direct via their own website if possible. Muchbetteradventures.com is a better option.

Hot tubs tend to need testing three times a day to keep them sparkling and hygienic so lend themselves more to catered chalets where there are staff on site.

Personally I'd say there are loads of catered chalets offering good food and value. Have a look at TripAdvisor for your chosen resort, find a chalet with good reviews and get in touch with them so you can benchmark the cost of a self-catered option vs someone else taking the strain.
snow report
Quote:

this sounds a bit snooty

Not at all. It's your holiday. We generally think the same way and spend far too much time in hotel rooms on business for there to be any novelty, at all.

I think I've disagreed with you before about tourist offices being a good source. That very, very much depends on the t.o. Chamonix's for example, is not great. Actually, neither is Champoluc's. So if someone is look at the tourist office and there seems to be a surprising dearth of properties, it may just be that the local habit is not to advertise with them.
snow conditions
Ah yes, I recall and agree that you shouldn't rely solely on the Tourist Office: our local one is very good, but that's not always the case. So perhaps a better starting-point is just to take a look at local agency websites, just to get an idea. Then take it form there.
latest report
Thinking a bit more about the hot tub thing, I can`t recall finding anywhere s/c that had one for the exclusive use of the chalet/apartment. Probably because has been said above you do need to be very careful to get and keep the chemical balance correct or you get all sorts of health issues. Its remarkably hard to 'recover' tubs/pools that have been allowed to 'go wrong'!

The complexes that rent out large apartments, in addition the Company I mentioned above, CGH are similar and I have used their facilities before, tend to have a communal spa, sometimes open to non residents at certain times for a fee. I have never found them overly busy but I`d guess they could be on occasions.
ski holidays
Quote:

a big shop en route to the apartment
This - pursuant to a well-planned shopping list - is the key to enjoying self-catering. Pottering about in the kitchen with a glass or two of wine of an evening is one thing, but shopping every day in resort is expensive, time-consuming and boring.
latest report
I've attempted to be listed many times on our TO website. They've failed to turn up to three inspection appointments, so I've stopped thinking about it.
Hot tubs are indeed a rarity, but pools, sauna and steam rooms aren't that hard to find. Echoing what @Hurtle, says on the supermarket shop. A quick trip for an odd thing is fine, but not every night for everything. I'd end up cooking pasta and sauce otherwise.
snow conditions
@CaravanSkier, I think that there are quite a few high end chalets around Chamonix that can be s/c with hot tubs. But I do not know for sure.

Frankly, while it's a novelty, it would be well down my list, if on the list at all...
ski holidays
e.g. https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p8170796 . but it's well pricey.

Note also that many properties won't have prices up for 12 months out...
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
I have yet to stay in an apartment for a skiing holiday where I would describe the kitchen at "fully equipped".

Yes, no potato peeler this time!
We prefer self catering with kids as you can be in control of meal times etc.

There are plenty of apartments available on Booking.com too. We tend to go to Austria these days, and despite what some say it isn't difficult to find self catering accommodation here too!
snow report
I always take one really good knife and a potato peeler.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, yours does look lovely, trouble is we need school holidays otherwise we would be talking about next year Happy
snow report
This format may or may not be suited but we've stayed in self-catered apartments in CGH developments and that has worked out well. Whilst they are shared they have pretty good pool, saunas etc (we are with kids and they love it - I appreciate you may not want to share such facilities).

I share the frequent disappointment with catered chalet cooking (bar the odd success). I found in catered chalets we would generally eat out at lunch as they were preparing meals etc for the evening in the chalet. So when we go self-catered we pick somewhere close to the bottom lifts, head back to the chalet for lunch and then eat out most nights. If you cook one or two nights I found this worked out cheaper than a catered chalet but with the benefit of eating out to your choice rather than the hit and miss catered experience.

If self catering , most places have delivered meals you can re-heat or other options that have worked well include picking up a couple of rotisserie chickens form the local supermarket and order several portions of chips to take away from a local bar / restaurant.

Must admit the thing I missed most from the catered experience was cake in the afternoon!
snow report
Quote:

This - pursuant to a well-planned shopping list - is the key to enjoying self-catering. Pottering about in the kitchen with a glass or two of wine of an evening is one thing, but shopping every day in resort is expensive, time-consuming and boring.

Having the kitchen and living room connect is the key here. You do not want someone slaving in the kitchen while everyone relaxes and talks in the lounge. Much better being part of the conversations. The cooking passes painlessly that way.

I do not want to be plan and buy a load of stuff on my way skiing and try to work out how to store it all. I much prefer nipping out every evening to the local resort shop and buying exactly what I want for that meal (and chatting to people I meet in the shop). In fact we seem to visit the shop two or 3 times a day: first thing for fresh bread, secondly for the main evening meal and thirdly for what I forgot on shop 2. I am not good at storing vegtables and prefer to buy just what I want when I want it.
latest report
@rossyl, Just a different angle for comparison, but there are some excellent properties at very reasonable prices on Skistar at Åre in Sweden, and cheap flights with easyjet from Gatwick. Not so many with a hot tub, but almost all have there own sauna and drying facilities, and kitchens have always been excellent for us, though I am sure there are poor ones.

If you do look at them, take note that the price you see is for the chalet, regardless of whether there are 2 people or 10, with none of the silly under occupancy rip off that is the norm in southern Europe.
snow report
You only get under-occupancy if you book an apartment through a major tour op,. Many others also have prices for the whole chalet/apartment without supplements. Erna Low don't charge supplements for example, and there are probably others, including the Tourist offices.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
I always take one really good knife and a potato peeler.
lol, just scrub the potatoes, and pick out any obviously 'bad' bits! Potatoes have all their goodness and much of their flavour in the skins. If you are concerned about 'sprays' the bigger valley supermarkets all stock organic produce. Smile
latest report
@CaravanSkier, peeling potatoes is not the only thing I use a potato peeler for. And I don't always peel potatoes, depends on how I'm cooking them. rolling eyes
snow conditions
@under a new name, where's a link to yours?
ski holidays
@Hurtle, Fair enough Smile I find I can manage in most s/c kitchens so long as there is plenty of wine! rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, you can't make mash with scrubbed potatoes !!! And that potato peeler is most definitely used for other things.
snow report
@mr. mike, hopefully Admin doesn't mind ... www.ski-chx.com
snow conditions
@under a new name, @under a new name, fine to post a link in response to a question.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy