Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Board Length - Too short an issue?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads Smile

I'm heading over to Val T in three weeks (cannot wait) and was wondering what to do regarding boards!

I usually hire a board in resort but a kind friend of mine has offered to lend me hers.

I am about 5'6 and weigh around 68-70KG. From what I've seen online it's recommended I get a board length around 150-155cms but the board I've been offered is 145cms. (I'm an intermediate boarder that is comfortable up to red runs)

Will having a shorter board make a huge difference to my week?

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions please.

Huge thanks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not give it a try on the first morning and if it doesn't work for you hire. For what it is worth my daughter is about the same height as you and a bit lighter, she rides a 149 out in the mountains but often takes her old 145 if we are going to Tamworth fridge, says the shorter board is better for twisty turny stuff and the longer one for going quicker and big wide turns.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not check the board specs re rider weights first before you decide?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really depends on the board, check the recommended weight range for it. If you're over the recommended weight it'll make the board more unstable at speed and also on hardpack you have less edge to grip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Makes no difference. Do not get one too short. 150 ish would generally be too small.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IMHO, if you ride on piste, you wont notice the difference at all. In fact, as you can get more pressure closer to the tips of the board, you may find it more responsive.
Its only fair to get the board waxed and sharpened before you return it though, so with that and the costs of flight baggage, you may prefer to hire in resort.

That probably didn't help at all...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone!

Defo some things to think about and good point about re-sharpen and wax after i've used it.

I'll check out the info for the board re weight and compare prices in resort ect to baggage then make my decision!

much appreciated Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It does depend upon the board. 145 for a standard twin board would generally be far too small for you.

I guarantee without looking at the specific model - because I'm certain its a womens bvoard and not a short fat powder board - that you need a board at least 152-156.

Also. Don't skimp out on gear, it doesnt cost that much. And you can buy a beginner snowboard that is perfectly acceptable for less than £150. If you want to know, Absolute Snow have deals on the DC Focus at the moment for about that price which is an awesome board.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy