Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learn To Ski in 4 Days Method

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
kosciosco, during the week of group lessons how long were the skis that you used? I'm asking because when I was taking lessons, they were always giving me really short 130cm skis and I think that made it easier to learn. (I'm average height/weight - 175cm/64kg.)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
isusanin, I wish I had that BMI!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had lessons with the local ski school in Murren last week and she "reminded" (retaught) us about the importance of snow ploughs and stem turns. Having had lessons for the last five years I thought that I was way beyond the level of needing to use snow plough turns. How wrong I was. On the third day of our visit we had done all the black runs at Murren and we couldn't have done them without using stem turns. The advantage of using these turns is that you could turn immediately, quickly and do it without generating speed. Until coming to Murren I thought I was way beyond needing to use a turn learnt on day 1 of being on a ski slope. For anything narrow and steep it is the only way for me to turn and stay in control. She was a great instructor and taught my 12 year old daughter more in these lessons than she had learnt from all her other visits to the ski slopes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm moving this to the "Bend ze Knees" forum. U never know, it might generate some more interest snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gee that is a day longer than the version listed in the Big Foot adventure on the other thread, but that includes evolving from blades to skis.
Shocked snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The problem with the "hold the poles parallel across your body and keep them at right angles to the fall line at all times" method is that many people misunderstand what they're being taught. I always see people who have learned this way "practising" in the afternoon and simply cheating. As they over-rotate, they just push one hand further downhill and pull one back uphill to correct the angle of the poles. Thus with an extreme effort, they could have their shoulders facing across the fall line instead of down it and by some creative use of pushing one hand out and pulling another one in, STILL get the ski poles to face down the fall line!

The next step up from these are the advanced beginners who think they are carving turns across the slope when, in fact, all they are doing is skidding sideways pretty much straight down the fall line and simply changing the direction they are facing in between skids!

The only way I managed to progress from this level (before I saw sense and became a boarder!) was to learn angulation of the skis and this was achieved mainly by lifting up the inside/uphill ski and leaning over until the lower ski whipped around in a tight knife-edge turn. This sounds a bit like the "topple" technique mentioned earlier.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's almost a year since I've created this thread. I thought I would come back and report on my progress. I had loosely followed Dave Siegel's method. I did learn to hockey stop on ice skates before learning to ski and I did try to kind of skip the wedge stage in learning. It was hard to avoid the wedge because I actually took lessons the first few days on the slopes. I also did not try sidesliping on black slopes on my 1st day, but I did try to learn to hockey stop during the first couple of days on skis.

I now have 7 days of skiing under my belt (6 last year and 1 this year). I ski parallel and I can get down any blue run and nicely groomed easy black runs. I'm currently trying to learn to ski moguls because you see a lot those as you get to steeper terrain. I should also learn to use the poles properly. I am still a beginner-intermediate, but I no longer have any interest in green runs except for pointing my skis down the fall-line and seeing how fast I can go.

From my experience, I would say that the main take-away from Dave Siegel's method is that beginners must learn to hockey stop on skis very early in the process. This gives them confidence to go faster and try steeper terrain, because they know that they can stay in control by putting on the breaks at any moment. I did not find the wedge to be an effective method for controlling speed. Perhaps, because I never learned to do it properly. It looks amateurish and ugly anyway. Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
isusanin, "I did not find the wedge to be an effective method for controlling speed. Perhaps, because I never learned to do it properly. It looks amateurish and ugly anyway" Probably a very true statement, but I've seen Bode Miller doing a very nice one on more than one occasion - so amateurish? Never. Actually you gave yourself away by saying you no longer had any interest in green runs - why not? I like some green runs and not others - it depends on the run, not the colour.

at any rate you seem to be having fun, so as long as you don't put others in danger, that's fine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, you are right that pros can make the wedge stop look elegant and effective. I've seen the high jump skiers in the Olympics use it to stop at the end of the jump, but I haven't seen anyone use it on the steeps. Anyway, I think the parallel stop is a lot more effective even for beginners and gives them a lot more confidence.

Where I ski, I haven't seen many interesting green runs. They all tend to be very short and flat. I know that some mountains have green runs going from the very top, and I would definitely check those out. You are probably thinking that I'm all out of control on the more difficult runs and putting others in danger, but I'm actually a careful skier, and tend to go very slow on the steeper terrain. When I see a crowd on the slope, I stop and wait for them to pass before I go.

I took a group lesson with two other skiers the other day. Everyone was doing parallel turns and the lesson was for level 5 - "Getting comfortable on blue terrain". The instructor went over the hockey stop and two of the students were good at it while the other one had trouble. When the instructor decided to take us to a blue run, the student that couldn't do the hockey stop refused to go. Then the instructor took us to the most difficult green run on the mountain and even there that student felt scared and literally took of his skies and decided to walk down instead. Now, here are the exact words of that student -- "This is too steep. I'm afraid of getting out of control. I think my problem is that I can't do that stop that these guys are doing." This is what actually made me realize how important being able to do the hockey stop is for beginners. All of you ski instructors out there, teach the hockey stop as early as possible to your students, and they will thank you later.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
isusanin, I teach my beginners swing to the hill and using the terrain to control their speed. Doing hockey stops (IMO) tends to encourage beginners to sling their hips out which is a major rotation and leads to later problems. When they can keep their hips/upper bodies quiet and use their feet independently, then a hockey stop is fine. However I apologise if I implied that you would be a danger - I really meant that IF YOU ARE NOT then fine. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, keeping the upper body body and hips straight is actually something I need to work on to become more fluid. Hockey stops will not help with that, but they definitely have their place in controlling speed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
isusanin, eeeeeek. Shocked BTW the wedge/snowplough is only used for stopping until you learn to turn. Once you can turn you should always turn up the hill to stop and control your speed. Anyone who isn't taught this as a beginner should have been! Not all instructors use SP however.... Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Teaching someone to ski in four days - no problem, but... do they want to, and do you have the time?(/money!)
I have been away with several groups who on Saturday evening had never seen a pair of skis before, who by wednesday evening are starting to look like skiiers. The difference is that they are taught/coached all day. We review their performance every day, and can if necessary, be quite blunt with them (but only if we have to be - we're quite nice really!).

Most people on an average holiday will only recieve tuition half a day at a time and be allowed to practice by themselves in the afternoon. Although this is only a short time away from the instructor, there is an opportunity to switch off - after all 'I made it to the bottom didn't I?!' - For me even if you aren't coaching the stude, then he/she will perform better simply because you are there.

Its also worth considering how you define 'learning to ski' - I've been doing it a while now but I am definately still learning! For my guys we aim to have them parallel by the end of the week and we will have started on very basic carving trying to eliminate the stem - some guys pick it up quickly others not!

But the bottom line is are you having FUN?! When I ski with work we are there to develop personal qualities (although they just think they are skiing!-mind games - brilliant!). When I ski for me its about having a great time in the mountains snowHead .

Bottom line, if you want to improve quickly, work with an instructor Very Happy .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy