Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dilemma - Burton Flying V Deja Vu OR Capita Birds of a Feather ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Would massively appreciate some advice. I'm keen to buy my own board and have been reading up on options. I think i've got it down to 2 boards :

1. Burton Flying V Deja Vu
2. Capita Birds of a Feather

I'm drawn to Burton Flying V DV because it's a soft board and i'd like to learn how to butter, press, and I like the sounds of catch free smooth turns and frostbite edge for those icy days/ groomed piste giving me confidence I can hold the edge. I'm a little worried it won't perform on ice and it sounds like it might be a little slippy (I'm guessing that's what squirrelly means) which sounds fun and smooth but does that mean I am likely to slide about all over the place if i'm rubbish?

Capita sounds like a stiffer board but great for holding an edge and I realise it's mostly a camber profile (i think i've got that right) but the ends are reverse camber and so i feel like it might have some similarities with Burton FVDV in terms of not being catchy. I am keen to learn some basic ground tricks and i feel this might be a little on the stiff side for that. Also, this board says advanced on some of the specs whereas Burton says Intermediate which is more where I think i'm at.

I've been riding for a few years but only get away 1 or 2 weeks each season. I'm a pretty slow learner but feel like i turned a corner last year and was happy to discover last month that I had remembered most of it! I am keen to get a board that will help me progress but given i hardly get any time on the board I still want to have fun rather than make it too hard for myself. I was all sold on the burton but then I went to visit a local store and the guys said he'd recommend the Rome Heist or Capita board above that. Capita he favoured mostly for the reasons above. I should mention I'm a woman in case that makes any different on board stiffness/ options. I'm also a little eon the heavier size just now but hoping not to soon.

Dilema - are these good options for me? Which would you recommend? I'm up for groomed piste and some basic things like butters and presses but unlikely to ever do the park, and probably a bit away from off pisting. Thanks guys!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's tricky taking recommendations from anyone in a store who possibly has a financial interest and may or may not be able to ride, and who certainly hasn't seen you ride. The same's true for the internet. Even if we stood and watched you turn, I'd still suggest you try both boards (and a few more) to see which works best, in what size, for you.

What board were you on when you "turned a corner"?

Otherwise, I suspect either would work in the correct size (there are many sizes, it does matter).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know. I think i need to just bite the bullet and make a decision. It was a salomon board which i found easier than riding the previous boards which were Burton beginner boards - or maybe i just got better, i don't know - but 2 years in a row Salomon and have started to feel pretty good about my riding.

My instructor this year seemed pretty cool with the flying v option, and he said to also take a look at camber boards though and think about how I wanted to ride. He said I'd be fine with either depending upon what I wanted to do.

I think I'm going to go for the Capita. I think it's going to be tighter for riding in the groomed piste and potentially ice conditions and once I break it in/ get used to I'm sure I'll just adapt to it and learn to do things that the softer board would've supported. Not sure if flying V is just too general for me.

Totally get the size bit. I'm going to be very careful to get the right fit. I wasn't too sure about the guy in the store as he didn't suggest any of the burton boards and when I asked about how they compared he seemed reluctant to even talk about it. Didn't seem like a burton man at all so it made me worry that he was biased against them even if it were the right board for me. I just want to get some objective advice about the pros and cons of each. Feel like I've got quite a bit of it from the reviews but as you say until I go on the board and give it a whirl I'll never really know. Thanks for your help!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
I wasn't too sure about the guy in the store as he didn't suggest any of the burton boards and when I asked about how they compared he seemed reluctant to even talk about it.

Anti Burton people are not uncommon. Although with any talk about boards there is often a lot of bias, not surprising as most people only ride a few different boards per year - if that.

Wouldn't worry about increased risk of catching edges on camber boards. Maybe true for beginners, but once you are riding at an intermediate level and have decent edge control it shouldn't be a problem IME. I believe that stiffness and length are probably more important than shape (but I have not ridden enough boards to back that up). You definitely don't want anything too stiff if you want to get into presses and buttering.

Have you considered a Salomon board? Seems that worked for you, so maybe stick with it? Otherwise is there anywhere you can test boards and get a feel for them?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy