Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort destination for NYE

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I have booked a flight to geneva for a ski week at NYE (31 st dec. Untill 6th January) with my gf. I know it's a busy week out there on the slopes but that's the only week we could arrange.

It's her second time skiing and my fourth ski week.

We have booked a hotel at la plagne 1800 but I've read it's super busy at NYE and that the queues are horrible. I've also read that LP is quite flat and not a very challenging resort (I'm used to Austrian red slopes and i see that most of LP are blues).

We are wondering if it's better to switch to les arcs or if there is another resort with better lift system and better selection of runs?

Thanks! (BTW first post on this forum Smile)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome @Sort26.

Yes, you have chosen probably the busiest week of the season, but a very good resort for your experience of skiing. There are a lot of blue runs in La Plagne, but that is because there are a lot of pistes in general. The resort has plenty of challenging pistes as well as lots of gentle ones. You say you have done 3 weeks previously and your GF only one week so I assume you will be taking lessons. The instructor will know their way around the resort to avoid the crowds and of course take you to the front of the lift queues so that should not really be a problem. I think the lift system is pretty good.

IMHO you are correct that Les Arcs has more challenging skiing than La Plagne. From memory there are 12 big unpisted black runs which is about as big a concentration of tough runs as you will find anywhere. Some of the red pistes in Les Arcs: Claire Blanc, Tuffes and Malgovert spring to mind, would be black in almost any other resort. For your experience I honestly think that La Plagne would be better.

Enjoy the holiday
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JohnE makes a really good point. I am so glad I took lessons (brings a smile to my face thinking about my third week Smile so exciting!) The instructors have so much experience of where people go in their resorts that they always manage to find some suitable, quiet place where it’s not too crowded. Anyway, although i’ve Never been, I think there are some snowheads in la plagne this NY so can’t be that bad wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A. Nowhere easily reached from GVA will be quiet

B. For your 4th week you want blues not reds.

So it’s a good plan snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks a lot guys! You had some nice points we didn't come up with.

We chose to keep on with la plagne Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
La Plagne is a great choice, and yes there are some lovely cruisey blues but there is plenty of challenging skiing to be had - and you can go across to Les Arcs too.

From memory the worst queue was always the chair to take you back to Plagne Centre from Bellecote - but mostly the lifts are pretty efficient.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy