Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing App wanted, requirements

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK I'm looking for an app for a friend, similar to Ski Tracks but

* For iPhone (Ski Tracks does this)
* In french (Ski Tracks does this)
* Displays calories used (Ski Tracks doesn't, Strava does for running, cycling, hiking but not for skiing)

Being french she wants to balance the copious lunch with calories used through skiing effort 😁 Any ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Without some sort of heart rate monitoring I'm not sure how you could come to a calorie count for skiing. I can expend the same amount of energy as standing up skiing, or the same as a very energetic hike, both could look pretty similar to a app that tracks my gps position. You could find an average rate per hour and use that in conjunction with the amount of time actually skiing, but it would be only be a rough approximation at best.

If she wants a more accurate measure of calories then a some sort of heart rate monitor and an app that will track that and convert into a calories used could work, I wonder if an apple watch has a ski app on it? I used a Garmin Vivoactive HR during my last trip. Started it in the morning, left it tracking me all day. It only tracked actual runs as skiing and I only used the wrist monitor that it has built in rather than using my chest strap. During a day my stats were 24.91 mi Distance 14.3 mph Avg Speed 807 Calories 1:44:09 total time skiing.

Of course if she is using a heart rate monitor then set another app to track it using a mode that doesn't involve movement and that will give an approximation of the calories used.

Just found this table

Skiing, downhill, light effort 272C/Hr

Skiing, downhill, moderate effort, general 340C/Hr

?Skiing, downhill, vigorous effort, racing 476C/Hr
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pieman666, Yes I didn't think it would be too accurate, no hrm. She's a very good fairly agressive skier. On Monday we skied around 50km and 8000m of vertical in 7½ hours. But lunch was an excessive 1¾ hours 😮 so probably about 3 hours skiing, 1100 - 1200 calories I guess.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds reasonable, perhaps even more for the day as a whole. There again after 1¾ hours of lunch I'm not sure I could move let alone ski so they may of burnt off even more calories after lunch Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Endomondo has modes for downhill skiing, ski touring and snowboarding.

It GPS tracks you on a map, and records your distance, time, altitude, pace, avg speed, max speed, total ascent and total descent. It also gives calories.

However, I'm not sure how/if it distinguishes between skiing and lifts from calorie counting perspective, whether it actually knows you are sat on your backside on a lift and therefore doesn't count that as calorie burning or whether it makes an assumption that for any distance covered a certain % must be on a lift and not calorie burning, or whether it just ignores it altogether and gives you an inflated calorie burn.

So for example on 6 Jan it recorded me snowboarding for 4:43:40 (I paused it at lunch time). It tracked 71.86km, total ascent of 6,077 and total descent of 6772 (makes sense as I forgot to turn the thing on till I was at the top of the first set of lifts) and it recorded a calorie burn of 2194kcal.

That seems a little higher than the rates posted by @pieman666 above so eitehr snowboarding burns more, or it has overestimated by not taking into account lifts. Either way with a bottle of wine @ 600 calories I figure it gives me plenty excess calories to play with Toofy Grin

EDIT - obviously also depends on your weight too, which you stick in Endomondo for it to calculate your calorie burn. For the above track, it had me down as 79kg/12st5lb though I'm more like 85kg so it underestimted the calorie burn from that perspective.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Does downhill skiing actually burn any calories?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, since you skiers insist on standing and skiing in that bent knees semi-squatting position like you're trying to force out a trump Toofy Grin

I'm sure as a boarder I earn extra calories for bending over for binding faff and constantly picking myself up off the piste from my knees or backside Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The calorie count on my Garmin when cycling with an HR monitor is about half the estimate when using no monitor. The Garmin has access to all the usual stuff but has no data on bike weight (not all that significant, I guess) nor wind speed and direction which subjectively,at least, is very significant (and IME, more often than not is a head wind Sad )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
Does downhill skiing actually burn any calories?

Not the way i do it
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lunch on Monday was modest by french standards, large salad each, café gourmand between us and 0.5l red between us 😋 To make up for it we skied mostly mogulled blacks and off piste after 😃

Repeat performance tomorrow perhaps I'll weigh myself before and after 😁
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy