Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler in the Rain - Would you cancel ?

Poster: A snowHead
stuarth wrote:
essex wrote:
It is a well known issue on the coast range. One reason i don't go there but hope you luck out.

That "terrible" weather meant I was skiing at the end of November. Deep pow, steeps, trees, in December, and will probably still be able to go skiing right through May. But yes guess you're right, awful, best not come! wink

Hey good luck to you sounds great. Just saying with limited ski days i don't personally find WB a good gamble.
And who said anything about awful / terrible? Not me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apart from Japan (which seems to always be dumping), I don't think Whistler is any more of a gamble than most other resorts. There was hardly any snow in Europe this Christmas, while Whistler had knee deep powder on opening day in November. I'm sure there are years where the opposite is also true. Until they can accurately predict long term weather everywhere is a bit of a gamble, but with an average of nearly 40ft of snow a year at Whistler I like my odds.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah, is WB just too snowy for some people?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some very biased comments here - no, it doesn't always rain in Whistler. We've been to Whistler 4 times, most recent visit was in March 2012 (snowiest March on record) when we skied fresh snow down to village level every single day for 3 weeks. If others have experienced rain then bad luck - it was raining down to village level in Val d'Isere one early March morning a few years ago, we are in Val now getting ready to go out and enjoy the 10CM of snow from yesterday. Weather is just weather. Combining a Whistler trip with a few days in one of the world's amazing cities (Vancouver) or a hop over to Vancouver Island for whale watching is a MUST. Even my 9Y old was commenting how he wished we were in Whistler this week when the French HT lift queues and pushing and shoving got a bit too much.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boarder2020 wrote:
Apart from Japan (which seems to always be dumping), I don't think Whistler is any more of a gamble than most other resorts. There was hardly any snow in Europe this Christmas, while Whistler had knee deep powder on opening day in November. I'm sure there are years where the opposite is also true. Until they can accurately predict long term weather everywhere is a bit of a gamble, but with an average of nearly 40ft of snow a year at Whistler I like my odds.

Yes but day before that dump it was looking very tricky. They pride themselves on always opening early so did slate to open the day before published so that the record was kept but it was all manufactured snow and very limited. Staff could not go up the day early as normal to check it out as there was nothing to check. Then the dump.

Don't get me wrong I am coming out and have no worries about the snow. There will be snow
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
... and I was riding in Vancouver in December in conditions which would be the envy of all of Europe at that time and I suspect Japan too. It's an epic season. If you're scared of snow, go somewhere else.

This is Cypress, early evening, December 2016. That there is the sea, which is, ahem, at sea level. If you want more snow drive up or right.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have never before heard Whistler compared to Scottish skiing!!

I love skiing in Scotland, and have had some great days there but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that whistler is probably slightly better and the snow slightly more reliable.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Long flog out to Whistler (not to mention jet lag) for slopes that may or may not be good. Having tried a Canadian (Fernie) holiday, I now prefer to limit my skiing to Europe for that reason.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TommyJ wrote:
I have never before heard Whistler compared to Scottish skiing!!

I love skiing in Scotland, and have had some great days there but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that whistler is probably slightly better and the snow slightly more reliable.

And don't forget the trees.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:
They have lots of snow because there's lots of precip. The important question is "where will the freezing level be".

^^^this

Quite often rain in the village means snow high up - sometimes not though. We've never let the forecast put us off going.

Love your photo of Cypress philwig
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, Cypress is a stunning place to ski at sunset - I am exceptionally jealous.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pynch wrote:
... Cypress is a stunning place to ski at sunset - ....

Yes: silver city views in the morning, gold in the evening. Surprisingly beautiful. I'd ridden lots in Helsinki in winter but they don't get the same light there: the sun sort of pops up, dashes across and then drops again. There the day was glorious, and it was probably the Solstice.

I hit it lucky. That was pretty much the end of my day as I'd been riding over 8 hours non stop. The snow was in perfect condition all day, no crowds, although filling up a little as the city people arrived after work. I was back in the city in half an hour.

--
Out of interest, if a package tourist did cancel because they heard that there was a drop of rain in the village now and then, who pays the bill for that? Is that what insurance is for - changing your mind?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@philwig, Insurance cover would only be any good if there were no lifts running at all.

I think the OP was "tongue in cheek" maybe annoyed that they may not have huge powder dumps. I don't think he was serious.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have skiied Whistler perhaps 15+ times in the last 25 years and only had one bout of two days of rainy weather. We have often been in mid April and had amazing conditions with the only problem being that some of the mountain restaurants were closing as too feewer skiers left - this translates into nearly empty pistes yay!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have skiied Whistler perhaps 15+ times in the last 25 years and only had one bout of two days of rainy weather. We have often been in mid April and had amazing conditions with the only problem being that some of the mountain restaurants were closing as too feewer skiers left - this translates into nearly empty pistes yay!!!
ski holidays
philwig wrote:

--
Out of interest, if a package tourist did cancel because they heard that there was a drop of rain in the village now and then, who pays the bill for that? Is that what insurance is for - changing your mind?

I have chosen not to take up a week's skiing - taking the financial hit. If you have paid for a skiing holiday but don't go you are actually better off, cash wise, than if you do go. You've already paid for the holiday, not going costs you no more. But you save because you are not driving to and from the airport, not paying for: car parking, transit costs (such as meals and taxis), ski hire, lift pass, lunches lunches and drinks on the slopes. Mind you you are not skiing.
snow report
Can I ask why you travelled all the way to the states to ski Stowe on the ice coast?
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
philwig wrote:

--

I have chosen not to take up a week's skiing - taking the financial hit. If you have paid for a skiing holiday but don't go you are actually better off, cash wise, than if you do go. You've already paid for the holiday, not going costs you no more. But you save because you are not driving to and from the airport, not paying for: car parking, transit costs (such as meals and taxis), ski hire, lift pass, lunches lunches and drinks on the slopes. Mind you you are not skiing.

Personally I'd never forfeit totally. Even with rubbish conditions there are things you can work on. I've sacked off the cost of accommodation where the prospect was skiing on ice, and driven somewhere else. But if I planned to ski I'm going to ski!
ski holidays
Update on that forecast as things get closer to the OP's dept. date. Forecast is starting to shape up nicely. Cool temps, and storms forecast to start cycling in around Thursday. Could be a good meter of snow fall over the Friday-Sunday time frame. A little bit here and there throughout this week as well.
ski holidays
Toadman wrote:
Update on that forecast as things get closer to the OP's dept. date. Forecast is starting to shape up nicely. Cool temps, and storms forecast to start cycling in around Thursday. Could be a good meter of snow fall over the Friday-Sunday time frame. A little bit here and there throughout this week as well.

Don't suppose the same applies to Banff/LL? I'm arriving on Saturday.
ski holidays
@Rois1980 LL and Banff should see a bit of snow on Thursday and into Friday. Tough to say how much will come down, but Canadian Rockies will be on the edges of the storm fronts. So, 10CM-20CM of snow from Thursday/Friday. Possibly another 10cm-15cm on Saturday as well. Temps will be on the cooler side as well.
ski holidays
Toadman wrote:

Its looking great - sleet in the village for 3 days up to arrival, freezing point no higher than 1100 so snow up the mountain. Perfect.
ski holidays
@Rois1980, We are in Banff now and have had 6 days of fabulous skiing, pistes in good condition but off piste at LL is a bit tracked and hard if that is your thing. SS holds up well as it is all natural snow but I am sure the top up at the weekend will be welcome.

It is however cold. -23c this morning at LL so bring extra layers in the event that the low temps continue.

It's fab. You will have a great time.
ski holidays
Thanks all, and great to know! I'm not venturing off piste so that doesn't worry me. The cold, however, does, so I'll def bring the extra layers.
ski holidays
@Rois1980,
Quote:

I'm not venturing off piste so that doesn't worry me.

Being able to venture off-piste in safety is part of the point of going transatlantic!

@geetee,

Are you in Whistler again this March?
snow report
@Acacia, Maybe we'll give it a go - going to do First Tracks at Lake Louise so will see if the instructor trusts us (or the other way around maybe).
snow report
@Rois1980, great snow at Sunshine today and quite a bit forecast for Friday night. There really is some great skiing up there, particularly on Goats Eye (first stop on the gondola, but take it all the way to the top and ski down on your first day after you have got your bearings). Off to LL tomorrow- will report back. It's been very hard pack all week but they may get a bit of a dusting on Saturday as well. Let me know if you need any info, we come here for two weeks every year- this is our 15th year so we have been able to learn our way around.

Still feels pretty cold but forecast shows it warming up at the weekend so you may miss the really cold weather. It is usually more temperate this time of year.
latest report
@lynnecha, brilliant - thanks for the update. I have been you-tubing various runs to build up excitement. Goat's Eye is mentioned (and videoed) quite a bit.
A controversial one - is it really worth giving up a precious day of our five ski days to visit Mt Norquay? My OH is concerned we'll miss something if we don't go.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bit of thread drift here. Maybe you should post this info in the Banff thread Puzzled

Meanwhile in Whistler - sleet/snow/rain in the Village snow on the mountain.
ski holidays
Agree with others. I've been late March and got wet waiting for the shuttle bus. Took chair up rain then mist then snow. Got first lift serving 7th Heaven and skied 18" of fresh! You'll love it.
snow report
@Rois1980, it is small, some steep blues but really only fills half a day. It is very limited. I think they do night skiing on a Friday night- they used to- that's a possibility for the novelty value.

But giving up a whole day out of five- I would say not. Save it for when you come again for longer!
latest report
@Rois1980, I don't know if you are aware but but SV and LL do free tours every day. They divide people into groups of similar ability and volunteers take people around- it is all official, the guides are all good skiers and know the mountain. It is worth doing if you want to see the lie of the land, and usually good fun as well.

LL goes at 10 and 1.15 (I think- you need to check it). Not sure about Sunshine but the can tell you at the base.
snow report
Themasterpiece wrote:
achilles wrote:
philwig wrote:

--

Personally I'd never forfeit totally. Even with rubbish conditions there are things you can work on. I've sacked off the cost of accommodation where the prospect was skiing on ice, and driven somewhere else. But if I planned to ski I'm going to ski!

Bravo!

BTW, the only place SURE not to rain is in a snow dome. Safest bet there is.
snow conditions
Arcteryx was born in Vancouver for a reason. Rain low means snow high. Elevation and Goretex are your friends. The fog can be tricky.
snow report
Well there is definitely plenty of rain low down right now! (@140M in N. Van)
snow report
I am Just back from Whistler, Yes it can rain in the village, we got one of the biggest dumps of snow in years and on a couple of days it was rain in the village, once you are up the first chair it will turn to snow.

Below is a snap courtesy of the British Ski club snow reports. they also have a presence in whistler.

Whistler
Upper piste / Lower piste / Last snowed / Last 7 days / Next 9 days / Piste quality / Off piste snow / Lifts open
250cm / 250cm / 02 Mar (20cm) / 29cm / 89cm / Good / Powder / 35 out of 35
snow conditions
Rain in the village = wet, heavyish snow higher up?
snow conditions
While I don't know Whistler well enough, I've ski in Tahoe enough to say in general of the west coast of America (which is different from the Rockies for those who are geography- challenged)

The snow on the west coast OFTEN tend to be wetter than in the Rockies.

On the plus side, the wetter snow stick to high angle slopes better without avalanche. That's why so many gnarly runs are on the west coast. Alaska's heli- ski operation highlight their super-gnarly terrain more than the super-light powder.
latest report
I've just looked at the weather/snow conditions in Whistler as of last night/today and I hope the originally poster didnt cancel, it looks like being a very good week with new snow and cold weather.
latest report
Snow most definitely did not suck today, though was rather busy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy