Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vegan Food on the Piste - Sainte Foy

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Folks,

I am heading to Sainte foy next week with my partner, and both of us are Vegan. It's the first time I've been to the alps since becoming vegan and I'm a bit worried, there won't be anything to eat. I always had heavy meat and cheese based meals when skiing in Austria and can imagine France being worse. Either any restaurants that would accommodate us, or advice on food to take on the hill. I'm not wanting to live off Fries for 4 days.

Thanks,

James
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is no word in either French or Austrian for vegan.

Razz
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sainte Foy restaurants do a mean Salad Vert, but don't take the dressing Razz
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is no word for vegetable in alpine dialects - if it doesn't walk, squalk, flap, moo or grunt or issue from the udders of the same it isn't a foodstuff. Except myrtilles of course.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hahaha, I think I'm going to lose a bit of weight over the next week or so! Better stock up on fat levels now Razz
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stewart woodward, the dressing being St Marcellin and Lardons?

Veganism is taking hold in France; like in the uk, it is very much on-trend, but only in the larger cosmopolitan cities.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 13-03-17 16:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ham, bacon, lardons, sausage, salami, eggs, cheese... All vegetables or at least I've heard them described as such in the Alps. The majority of restaurant staff don't understand the concept of vegitarian so your chances with vegan are slim to none.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
... Except myrtilles of course.

And they're probably set in gelatin.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It's the first time I've been to the alps since becoming vegan and I'm a bit worried, there won't be anything to eat.

I handle Mrs Gorilla's vegetarianism by ordering her pizza at lunch (I speak French, she doesn't) and then scratch cooking dinner/breakfast. Obviously, pizza is off the menu for you and, while I have no specific knowledge of St Foy, I don't think I've ever seen a vegan option on a French alpine menu. I'd go porridge for breakfast, make up a mixed nut/dark chocolate mix for snacking on the hill and then scratch cook dinner.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
adithorp wrote:
Ham, bacon, lardons, sausage, salami, eggs, cheese... All vegetables or at least I've heard them described as such in the Alps. The majority of restaurant staff don't understand the concept of vegitarian so your chances with vegan are slim to none.
Slim will be the operative word......as you'll get nothing to eat. Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The alpine diet has succeeded in reducing the five food groups down to three, carbs, protein and cheese. Good luck eating bread and chips for a week...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
adithorp wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
... Except myrtilles of course.

And they're probably set in gelatin.

And the pastry will have plenty of butter in it. Veganism seems crazy you can't even have a Croissant or a Pain aux Raisins.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess snow is considered as being suitable for vegans, although not particularly nourishing..........cheap though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys. Seems like there will be plenty of options then wink

Luckily we are in an apartment hotel so do have a kitchen. Looks like it will be cooking in bulk on a night and taking the leftovers in a tub to have on top of chips!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lost123, are you self-catering or in a chalet? If the latter, many UK-run chalets can accommodate vegan diets, as long as they know in advance. If the former, sorry, but I do think you'll struggle with anything but the most basic foods.
latest report
@Lost123, you'll want to be careful of the frying medium of those chips too! It won't necessarily be pure oil.
snow report
Vegetalien is French for vegan - good luck!
snow report
Lost123 wrote:
chips!

No chance of chips being vegetarian let alone vegan wink
snow conditions
I once asked the proprietor of a Parisian cafe if there was anything vegetarian on the menu. He laughed heartily and said: "We have salad and we have cheese*". It was a while back and I'm sure things have moved on a bit, but as above I'd be surprised if that progress had made it all the way up into the mountains. If you're self-catering I'm sure you'll be able to find ingredients locally to cater for yourselves, but a packed lunch will probably be the best option for dining on the hill.

*I strongly doubt that the cheese was veggie-friendly...
latest report
Quote:

to have on top of chips!

As others have pointed out, I'd probably skip the frites.
snow report
[quote="gorilla"]
Quote:

As others have pointed out, I'd probably skip the frites.

...and the onion soup is probably made with meat stock.

I found this article which may be useful: http://bitofthegoodstuff.com/2014/09/our-summer-adventure-in-the-french-alps/

Also: google has just turned up these guys: https://hu.ski/ who will deliver meals to your accommodation and have vegan options!
snow conditions
@Lost123, Serious question, which sweets are you allowed to eat Puzzled
latest report
My daughter stayed with a Spanish family when she was in a vegetarian phase (she's recovering). The (highly educated, very friendly and hospitable) hostess seriously asked if the ham would be PK if chopped up very small. Twisted Evil
snow report
You can do a lot with Puy lentils.....
snow report
What others have said. Certainly vegan food has much more of a following in France now than it did even 2-3 years ago (when that post linked to by HandyHand was penned). In the big-ish cities you'd have no problems whatsoever provided you do your research. However, I've seen no signs of this trend reaching the mountains yet. You might find the odd vegan thing on the menu, but in all honesty the closest you're likely to get will be a veggie risotto, and it's likely to involve butter at some point, so not vegan.

Best option almost certainly packed lunches.
snow report
Isn't it morally acceptable to have a holiday from veganism when you're in a culture which doesn't support it? Or maybe that's the ultimate test and you get more "good vegan" points the harder the struggle.

Second question - does veganism extend to accomodation? You wouldn't be able to stay in most Austrian hotels, pensions etc if you can't tolerate the odd marmot or stuffed boar's head.
snow conditions
@Lost123, I have to ask, why are you vegan?

Because I am afraid the typical French restaurateur's response to "is there anything vegetarian?" ((I know, different) is, "mais oui, on a des lardons"

If purely ideological, you will have to decide whether you can stomach the food, or whether your stomach can cope.
latest report
I thought I remembered another vegan posting a few days ago, it might be worth a pm to her to see how she has got on in the Alps as a vegan, though I think she is cooking most of the the time in her camper van. Les Arcs is not far from Ste Foy and the poster was touring around http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3032608&highlight=les+arcs#3032608
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lost123, it should be a wonderful and uplifting experience.

As a family we decided a few years ago to be gluten and lactose free as well as vegan and only ever eat ethically sourced and biodynamically produced food. In the Alps we have refined a routine of writing to each of the mountain resorts, restaurants and chalet operators we expect to use setting out our individual dietary requirements (I forgot to mention but Portia is also allergic to fungi, sesame and peanuts and I also get terrible bloating if I consume too many legumes or brassicas). So far we have had nothing but positive experiences and at each venue we are presented with a delicious spread to rival dear Yotam's (we often send in recipe suggestions from Plenty or perhaps some by those lovely Helmsley sisters).
snow conditions
@ed123, There was a thread in Apres about someone with too many dandelions. You should get in touch with him....Free food for life.
snow report
@montana, - self catering in aparthotel so we have a kitchen luckily.

@hurtle, I'm not too strict (gf is though), so would still eat chips in a shared fryer etc if it was last resort.

@HandyHand, thanks will have a browse through. This is all very reminiscent of my trip to Bolivia in November when we went up to visit Chacaltaya. We had a hotel in jungle that argued black is blue that the soup was vegetarian even though it had lumps of chicken in it.

@stewart woodward, hmmm, dark chocolate, bourbon biscuits, oreos and things like skittles and giant strawberrys too. As I mentioned earlier in post I'm not too strict. I don't eat meat, fish, dairy, but not too bothered about what stuff is cooked in and if someone offered me a sweet I'd probably have it if I wanted it. It has always been more of an environmental impact thing than an animal rights thing.

@pam w, love puy lentils - regularly mix them with red lentils and make spag bol / sloppy joes or filling for sheppards pie. Tbh the topping for the chips I was thinking of was going to be lentil sloppy joes mixture.#

@under a new name, generally more to do with the carbon footprint of animal agriculture and reducing my own output. I could eat meat i think and be ok if I needed to. Dairy is another story.

@ed123, Cheers, Will look at dropping some people a line. Hopefully there should also be some great fruit we can have.
snow report
@pam w,
You can do a lot with Puy lentils.....

yep and you can even eat them Laughing
latest report
I eat vegetarian at least once or twice a week, but vegan....i'd have a job living here wink
ski holidays
Swissie wrote:
I eat a vegetarian at least once or twice a week, but vegan....i'd have a job living here wink
It's difficult to eat a whole one. Laughing
snow conditions
I've often wondered if Vegan's would refuse to travel in a car, bus, aircraft, etc if it had leather seats?
ski holidays
Lost123 wrote:

@under a new name, generally more to do with the carbon footprint of animal agriculture and reducing my own output. I could eat meat i think and be ok if I needed to. Dairy is another story.

What about the carbon footprint of fruit, veg, etc that is air-freighted or carried on hugely polluting cargo ships? I must decalre a vested interested; my family are dairy, beef and arable farmers. Cool Cool NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
Or the footprint of travelling to the Alps? And lentils.... Not usually grown Europe it must be said.
snow conditions
@ed123, Laughing Laughing (I assume you were joking.)
ski holidays
[quote="gorilla"][quote]

I handle Mrs Gorilla's vegetarianism by ordering her pizza at lunch (I speak French, she doesn't)

From experience I have found even this isn't always sure to get you a veggie friendly pizza - having ordered a margarita pizza (universally known to consist of cheese and tomato) at The Yeti bar in Alpe D'Huez I was somewhat surprised to see the topping consisted of far more ham than cheese or tomato.

Afraid I can't help with the OP's quest, just wish them luck - hard enough as a vegetarian eating out in France, can't imagine how hard it will be for a vegan.
ski holidays
king key wrote:
Swissie wrote:
I eat a vegetarian at least once or twice a week, but vegan....i'd have a job living here wink
It's difficult to eat a whole one. Laughing

Yeah - there is no meat on them...could do with a few good feeds
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy