Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt - Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Off to Zermatt soon and there is a lot of stuff out there, just a few quick questions after our Meribel experience this year, really appreciate any advice people may have.

1) Any ideas on mountain huts to get drinks / snacks rather than full blown meals? Austria seems good for this, France seemed horrendous for it...
2) Any experience on good outlets for private lessons (went with Marmalade in Meribel after some advice on here and they were excellent)
3) Town based eateries, just some good food, this time we're B&B so any recommendations would be great, price not really an object but value is. No need for Michelin * or anything but good local stuff in a nice atmosphere.

Mark
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To try to answer your questions (I assume you have a piste map or will access one to make sense of the below):

Mountain huts for drinks/snacks.

The central lift stations on the three largest sectors have reasonably good buffet cafes. They are at Sunnegga, Riffelberg and Trockener Steg. The Sunnegga outside terrace is actually as nice as any mountain location.

I like the restaurant at Tuftern. Only serves drinks and soup and sausage & bread or cheese & bread. Again really nice terrace.

Even at Findeln, the home of the super nice restaurants there are terraces where you can sit and have a drink (including the famous Chez Vrony). At the lower lift at Furi there is also an outside bar just down from the lower of the two lift stations. Very dark in mid-winter but gets really nice as the sun gets higher in the sky.

The terrace at the Blue Lounge at Blauherd is superb.

We like the self-service café at Furgg. The outside area is nice and like Furi is starting to see a lot more sun than mid-winter.

Outside of lunchtime you can probably get just a drink at many restaurants unless things are really busy. Stafel is extremely classy and Gandegghütte is possibly the best location you’ll ever sit and have a drink or eat.

Over on the Italian side there is a wider range of “cheap and cheerful” places.

Private lessons

We tend to use Summit Ski School. It is a British ski school and we have always been happy with it. We have used Stoked for off piste (Summit don’t do off piste) and really like the guy who does that for them. Those who use Stoked for piste lessons always seem happy. Personally I would steer away from the main ski school (the red coats). They have some great people but their quality seems really variable.

Town based eateries.

We are not really foodies (and in any case we eat in on an evening most of the time). You won’t find us in the Macdonalds but nor would you find us in a Michelin Star restaurant). Our family restaurant that we always visit when one or more of the kids & partners make it out is the Restaurant du Pont for snails followed by a hearty fondue (claimed by many to be the best in Zermatt – it is certainly very good). If you just want pub food you can’t go wrong with the Brown Cow – although the English guy at Grizzlies is putting in a sterling effort as well.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All good advice above. Would just add the following to the options in town:-
Sparky's at the Matterhorn hostel for curries, chicken wings, nachos etc and good chat.
The Bubble for burgers
Snowboat
Vieux Valais
Old Zermatt
More upmarket are places like Elsie's or you can seat at the bar in the Avena and have good value bar meals (by Zermatt standards!)

The best value drinks in town are probably found in the bar of the hotel Perren (La Barrique) where they have a happy hour between 3 and 5.
Hope you enjoy it!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I second the mention of Sparky's. Very good value, by Zermatt standards. (= pricey, by most other standards)

For snacks/drinks on the mountain, I thought Restaurant Chämi-Hitta was pretty good. It is on the red run from Riffelalp to Furi. Also very pretty and a great view of the Matterhorn.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great stuff thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
koru wrote:
I second the mention of Sparky's. Very good value, by Zermatt standards. (= pricey, by most other standards)

For snacks/drinks on the mountain, I thought Restaurant Chämi-Hitta was pretty good. It is on the red run from Riffelalp to Furi. Also very pretty and a great view of the Matterhorn.

Yes. Great place. You can walk there as well, even in winter (although it is better if you have microspikes on as it is very definitely uphill and over slippy snow - well marked though). Over lunchtime it is definitely a restaurant so if it is busy (which it might not be now half terms are ending) they are looking for eaters rather than just drinkers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy