Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping Chalet Hosts

Poster: A snowHead
HoneyBunny wrote:
I've never liked the attitude that the general public should be expected to make up for employers paying people poor wages by handing out tips no matter what service they receive. I really hate the tipping culture in countries like America.

+1

@Pynch (et al), +lots for tipping etiquette being a right pain, especially when you don't agree with the concept in the first place.

@Old Man Of Lech, based on the currency I assume you worked in the US, in which case the custom is to tip and the salaries are set based on the expectation of very significant tips. That doesn't apply everywhere, so to generalise across continents seems pointless to me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dr John,
Quote:

not tipping chalet staff is tight
It can be, it might not be.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Norrin Radd wrote:
@HoneyBunny, +1, I started typing but felt he is not interested in opinions.
+2
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dr John, same with any job. My point is that tips should not be expected no matter what service is provided. A tip should a reward for being well looked after, not just a given.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Digger the dinosaur,
Quote:

Either accept that, and the cheap TO packages that come with it, and the tipping that comes with it, or pay for a luxury hotel where you'll probably end up tipping anyhow
I think that's a fair point actually. If the norm is to tip - as it is in the US - then, as a general rule, one should do so.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HoneyBunny, no, it isn't. One rule does not fit all circumstances. Chalet staff wages are kept artificially low due to many factors, the gap year adventure being a fairly large one. Paying somewhere even close a normal living wage would add a hundred or two to every chalet holiday.

Digger the dinosaur wrote:
...Either accept that, and the cheap TO packages that come with it, and the tipping that comes with it, or pay for a luxury hotel where you'll probably end up tipping anyhow.

WindOfChange wrote:
customers should be delighted to each give the staff 20 quid as by dint of the chalet staff being low paid it saves 150 per person off the price of their holiday

Spot on both of you.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 23-02-17 16:19; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tour Operators are able to save on the cost of providing ski holidays by not paying staff in France minimum wage of EUR 1400 pm ( The cost to the employer would actually be around 2700 as they have to pay social charges on wages and on perks such as accommodation and food, and pro rata holiday at the end of contract).
Take a 15 person chalet with 3 staff running on average occupancy over the whole season of 66%.
If currently the staff get approx EUR 600 pm, then over the course of a 16 week season they would need to make up 25.2k to pay the correct legal wages.
Thats about a grand and a half a week, or EUR 150 pp based on ave occupancy.
So in scheme of things, customers should be delighted to each give the staff 20 quid as by dint of the chalet staff being low paid it saves 150 per person off the price of their holiday, even if the chalet staff did not go the extra mile.
As to rewarding those who do go the extra mile - do something nice for them like getting their skis waxed, arrange a massage, a paragliding lesson or a park and pipe lesson.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Self catering it is then, bet I don't get a tip.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used to quite like chalet holidays. This thread gives me zero enthusiasm to sample their delights again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Norrin Radd wrote:
Self catering it is then, bet I don't get a tip.

That depends on how much you pay. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@laundryman, +1 I am happy tipping , but quickly revising that position.

If I could do my job sitting on the beach in Mauritius with free accommodation , help myself to unused food and drink and do the bare minimum required I would be happy to take a serious pay cut.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Indeed. But, rather than being forced to tip for poor service, I have voted with my feet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WindOfChange wrote:
customers should be delighted to each give the staff 20 quid as by dint of the chalet staff being low paid it saves 150 per person off the price of their holiday

Hmm.... lets reverse that.
If the company is saving E150 per guest by underpaying it's staff, times on average 6 guests per staff member, that means that each chalet host is underpaid by E900 pound per week.

More realistically E15 (average tip for good service?) x6 guests = E90 per week underpaid. Previous poster stated E100 per week after rent? That leaves the host about E190 per week after rent is paid.

I'm not stating good or bad, just doing the math.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You said 6 guests per staff member.
The figures above are for 66% occupancy of a 15 pax chalet (10 guests) which means 3.3recurring guests per staff member.
(And yes, you can get recurring guests before you ask Smile )
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Tour Operators are able to save on the cost of providing ski holidays by not paying staff in France minimum wage of EUR 1400 pm

You are using this as a justification for compulsory tipping?
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@HoneyBunny, in the specific case of chalet staff any increase to wages will be passed directly onto the customers, and you can be certain that that increase will be more than €20 per customer per week, also the staff will be taxed on any increase. The current system is a mutually beneficial arrangement.

The current system is random and arbitary - as evidenced in this thread.
latest report
@Dr John, the fact that there is this debate about tipping shows that it is a weird concept. Does that mean I don't tip? Of course not, I absolutely tip. But getting some nebulous amount together is always irritating.

I certainly don't begrudge the hosts a tip because I'm not tight, but I'd rather it was just set out more clearly so there wasn't this annoying vagueness ("did we leave her enough? She looked a bit hungover on that one morning... but was really smiley and nice all week and the food was pretty good really.").

I also don't like the fact that lots of people who advocate tipping see it as a substitute for being a decent guest, or keep pushing for some mythical 'extra service' when just doing the basics well is what is really required. Should the overall cost go up to improve wages? quite possibly.
latest report
@Layne, hah, quite.
snow report
@Layne, of course, but the system is understood by (in my experience) the vast majority of chalet guests and, by and large, works very well. This view is reinforced by many years of chalet holidays, not based on a few anonymous posts on an interwebs message board.
snow report
@Dr John, but what does 'work well' mean?

It persists, but I'm not sure it that is the same as a good thing.
ski holidays
@Pynch, I'm still trying to get my head round the mind-set of someone who spends £1000+ on a skiing holiday but begrudges the chalet staff a €20 tip. How much did they tip the waiting staff at the restaurant on the chalet staff night off? A bit of perspective is required.
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
If currently the staff get approx EUR 600 pm, then over the course of a 16 week season they would need to make up 25.2k to pay the correct legal wages.
Thats about a grand and a half a week, or EUR 150 pp based on ave occupancy.
So in scheme of things, customers should be delighted to each give the staff 20 quid as by dint of the chalet staff being low paid it saves 150 per person off the price of their holiday, even if the chalet staff did not go the extra mile....

Looks like supporting the British TO chalet system is almost immoral.
snow report
@Dr John, I think that is a fair enough point. But my concern isn't so much about begrudging them a tip or making them lose out, its about that odd sense of obligation of 'have I tipped enough?' when they should perhaps just be paid more in the first place.

Equating some sort of monetary transaction with 'good manners' in this way just bugs me. I'd rather it was standardised. Also for restaurants.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@Pynch, I'm still trying to get my head round the mind-set of someone who spends £1000+ on a skiing holiday but begrudges the chalet staff a €20 tip. How much did they tip the waiting staff at the restaurant on the chalet staff night off? A bit of perspective is required.
Many people on this thread are talking about the principle, not the amount. And many who are questioning the principle are patently not questioning the amount (albeit an arbitrary one) which you mention. I think that, in your enthusiasm for chalet holidays, you yourself may be losing perspective or at least not reading everybody's posts carefully.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@Layne, of course, but the system is understood by (in my experience) the vast majority of chalet guests and, by and large, works very well. This view is reinforced by many years of chalet holidays, not based on a few anonymous posts on an interwebs message board.

Thanks for demeaning the board with your last comment. Are you a friend of Old man of Lech.

The OP asked:
Quote:
We normally self cater but this year I have organised a group of 8 in a catered chalet for a short break. Its a nice chalet, not top of the range and not bottom either. Just wondering what the going rate is these days for tipping your chalet hosts at the end of the stay.

Have we had an answer?
snow report
@Layne,
Quote:

Thanks for demeaning the board with your last comment
Indeed.

Quote:

Have we had an answer?
Looks like 20Euros per person gets a few votes.
snow conditions
Drew Carey-Your approach to tipping is exactly the right one. My original comments re. non or minute tip amounts relate to situations where good service is given but not recognised.
Dave of the Marmottes-200 E between 20 is 10 each, pretty poor.
Hurtle-the example's given relate to 1 chalet with just myself & a chef in house. We both received $700 each + a very nice card with lots of good things said on them re. our service.
Dr John-bravo,
HoneyBunny -- YES I am, that is why I make good tips!
Digger the dinosaur-I second your view re. English customers generally. When I have suggested to fellow chalet guests we should tip 50e for each member of our respective parties I was looked at like I was an alien. I tipped the 2 girls in the Mountain Sun chalet 100e anyway. they were very good.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Looks like 20Euros per person gets a few votes.

+1, if we are talking about mass market TO chalets. For upmarket private chalets charging 2-3 times the price (which might be where OMoL is/was based), increase roughly pro-rata.

But it does depend on the staff, and their attitude. If they are brilliant, and/or done their best with awkward guests, and/or interact well with the guests and generate a good atmosphere, they will probably get more. If they couldn't care less, or don't tidy up the common areas (never bothered about my room), or mess up the meals, or even give some people food poisoning (which I have known occasionally....), they will probably get less.

And for that reason I prefer tipping at the end of the week.

Slightly more tricky is when there has been a problem not caused by the chalet staff, e.g. with the travel arrangements or resort rep. I tend to think it is a bit unfair not to tip the chalet staff in those circumstances, but can understand those people who think it is the only way of showing some unhappiness with the TO. (On the - possibly dubious - basis that the unhappiness will get fed back, at least informally, via resort manager etc)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:

Dave of the Marmottes please proceed to the tight self catering hovel along with Thornyhill. I am already in residence.
ski holidays
@ecureuil,
Quote:

I tend to think it is a bit unfair not to tip the chalet staff in those circumstances
Absolutely
ski holidays
@Layne, Laughing Laughing I'm there too.
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech,
Quote:

1 chalet
But that could be a palace or a bungalow.
rolling eyes You called me an ar$e - by implication, if not directly - I call you an idiot.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 23-02-17 19:02; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Layne wrote:
Old Man Of Lech wrote:

Dave of the Marmottes please proceed to the tight self catering hovel along with Thornyhill. I am already in residence.

At least it's not the low comprehension but very fancy tip funded palace Old Man Of Lech will be staying in.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Old Man Of Lech,
Quote:

1 chalet
But that could be a palace or a bungalow.
rolling eyes You called me an ar$e - by implication, if not directly - I call you an idiot.

Quite.

Maybe he should put "grumpy" in his name.
ski holidays
Norrin Radd wrote:
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Thornyhill-SO, it's fairly obvious you are one of life's tightwads.

back bottom

I have never met him but would bet a chunk of money on him not being a tightwad, more likely the opposite.

You might be right on the other point.

Toofy Grin

Nah he is right. I am tighter than two coats of paint. Rumour has it that I only breathe in and when I fart only dogs can hear it. Laughing

Being serious though - I have no problem tipping well for good service. If the service is average then the tip will be average and if the service is useless the tip will be zero. If I do a job for someone and the bill is £500.00, that is what I expect to get paid. If they bung me an extra tenner I certainly wouldn't consider it an insult, while
Grumpy Old Man Of Lech wrote:
.....MINIMUM of 30 euro per person (min.50 couple),per week should be given. Those who think 5 or 10 euro can keep it, it's an insult!

would rather be tipped nothing than a tenner per person. Not really joined up thinking there.

If service is above and beyond expectation (you kind of expect the odd cock up) I wouldn't have an issue with chucking in a tenner a day on the basis that if I was self catering and eating out every night that is probably what it would cost anyway...but it has to be earned...if you expect it just for showing up you might be surprised.
ski holidays
mgrolf -Yes, this season in the US, that after 9 seasons working in European (3 different countries,3 TO's and 1 'Boutique' chalet company). Working in both chalet 'hotels' and catered chalets. I think I probably have a good insight into tipping across continents/countries.
WindOfChange- Yes you are right and the same people who object to tipping would probably be the first to scream if prices went up.
Layne-Where did you get COMPULSORY tipping from. Absolutely no one has suggested that, only that a tip for good service is welcome.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@HoneyBunny, no, it isn't. One rule does not fit all circumstances. Chalet staff wages are kept artificially low due to many factors, the gap year adventure being a fairly large one. Paying somewhere even close a normal living wage would add a hundred or two to every chalet holiday.

How many UK chalet guests are aware or even consider just how low the staff's wages are? I'm sure they know it's not a lot, but wouldn't think it was as low as £75 a week. Most would also presume that mum and dad are bunging them some extra cash. I'm not using this as an excuse for not tipping (just for the record I would, and have), just trying to explain why it may not even occur to a lot of guests. They pay an amount for a holiday, and don't expect to have to pay any more, it's just how people are. They also probably think the hosts are lucky, getting free food, lodging and lift pass, and getting to ski every day.

The simple point I'm making (again) is that a tip should be a reward for good service, not simply expected no matter what. In the vast majority of chalets, I would think a tip for the staff is well-deserved.

Anyway, I'm off to cook dinner and drink budget wine with the other miserable self-catering tightwads wink wink wink wink
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech, I wasn't questioning your experience/insight, rather the use of the extreme (US) example to generalise across all and provide an example of what might be seen as normal.
I would head off to join the
Layne wrote:
tight self catering hovel

but unfortunately I enjoy being looked after on holiday so I'll have to find somewhere else to rest (and potentially tip generously, if the service befits it). Very Happy
ski holidays
HoneyBunny-----'They also probably think the hosts are lucky, getting free food, lodging and lift pass, and getting to ski every day.'

No No & no. That statement is completely false. Nothing staff receive are 'free'. They make up part of the remuneration package. As for skiing every day, also completely wrong. Change over days, no one gets to ski at all as a rule. Often operational needs mean staff do not always 'get to ski every day'. They are fortunate in being able to ski more often than the once or twice a year that most British skiers manage.
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech,
Quote:

Nothing staff receive are 'free'. They make up part of the remuneration package.

No $hit, Sherlock. I rest my previous case.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy