Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping Chalet Hosts

Poster: A snowHead
Our understanding is that the customer satisfaction forms are as important as anything else to TO resort staff. One chalet host told us that they were under pressure to make sure more than 95% of them were returned, otherwise it would impact on their end of season bonus. We were told this 6 seasons ago by someone who worked for Skitotal.

We generally tip 50 euros, 25 from each of us, and to avoid embarrassment we usually stick it in a "merci" card. If they have been particularly good we will add some choccies or something too. We did once only give 30 euros, but the host that week was really quite lazy.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@thecramps, when my son and his girlfriend did their season the feedback forms were very important to them. At the start of the season, whichever chalet in resort had the best feedback score for the week got help from one of the reps on one day, so they effectively got more time off. The reward system didn't last long, though, cos the same chalet kept winning it every week - son and girlfriend! They ended up the season rated in the top 10 across the whole company Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@karin, Your son and his girlfriend didn't work for Neilson's did they?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

We did once only give 30 euros, but the host that week was really quite lazy

Lucky them. I wish I could get an extra 30 euros a week on top of my wages for being 'quite lazy'.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
swiftoid wrote:
Quote:

We did once only give 30 euros, but the host that week was really quite lazy

Lucky them. I wish I could get an extra 30 euros a week on top of my wages for being 'quite lazy'.

I imagine your wages are not supported by tips?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paddyDT wrote:
I recently tipped the young ESF instructor who had done 6 1hr private lessons with my young daughters over the week. First time out for them. He was clearly
surprised but pleased. He deserved a very generous tip because he was absolutely awesome.

So by the same token would you consider tipping an 'awesome' school teacher who spends 30+ weeks of the year teaching your daughters maths and English etc?

If not, what is the difference? Is it because you assume the hourly pay of a ski instructor is significantly less than say a primary school teacher or is it something else? Out of interest does anyone know what the typical hourly income of a ski instructor is?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't but I do know that a lot of places only guarantee 15 hours a week of employment, they generally have to buy their uniforms (at a discount) and when extra hours are being given out (for people who want a private but don't have a preference for a particular instructor) the instructors who have been their the longest get picked first.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
I live with a ski instructor (ESF) and he definitely doesn't find tips vulgar. I've always tipped ESF instructors, they don't get it very often which surprises me when some (not all obviously) make such an effort to look after and teach our children. They don't get paid a huge amount, the time they get to spending doing 'real' skiing is amazingly limited and right now in Les Gets they're all out in whizzing down rain/wet snow for 9 hours with a 30 minute lunch break.

ETA - Tips are never expected, rarely received, and sometimes declined however they're not considered vulgar.

Quote:
I don't but I do know that a lot of places only guarantee 15 hours a week of employment, they generally have to buy their uniforms (at a discount) and when extra hours are being given out (for people who want a private but don't have a preference for a particular instructor) the instructors who have been their the longest get picked first.

mmm, something about the plight of the poor, oppressed ESF instructors doesn't seem to quite add up. Either their working like dogs for 9 hours a day in all weathers or they're struggling to secure more than 15 hours a week of employment. Which one is it!? Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SlipnSlide wrote:
paddyDT wrote:
I recently tipped the young ESF instructor who had done 6 1hr private lessons with my young daughters over the week. First time out for them. He was clearly
surprised but pleased. He deserved a very generous tip because he was absolutely awesome.

So by the same token would you consider tipping an 'awesome' school teacher who spends 30+ weeks of the year teaching your daughters maths and English etc?

If not, what is the difference? Is it because you assume the hourly pay of a ski instructor is significantly less than say a primary school teacher or is it something else? Out of interest does anyone know what the typical hourly income of a ski instructor is?

Ahhh, but he was amazing at doing his job.

Unlike your weak attempts at trolling on this forum. No tips for you.

Going to hit ignore having seen some of your other posts. Won't be tempted then. Bye now

NehNeh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's hardly working at the coal face, pootling round the mountain with a few kids.

Like wise the chef buddy of grumpy man, $700 tip for a bit of cooking!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SlipnSlide, if they are young they may well be only on 15 hours outside of peak weeks. However if they have been in the resort since the year dot then they may well be offered a lot of hours. The instructors I have spoken to (not ESF) love their job but they all say it is tough for the first few years getting enough hours as you need to build up repeat clients.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paddyDT wrote:
SlipnSlide wrote:
paddyDT wrote:

Ahhh, but he was amazing at doing his job.

Unlike your weak attempts at trolling on this forum. No tips for you.

Going to hit ignore having seen some of your other posts. Won't be tempted then. Bye now

NehNeh

Feel free to ignore me if you wish, but I really don't get the trolling accusation? What did I ever say to make you think that? Shocked

I notice by the way that despite your "clever", sarcastic reply, you (and everyone else) conveniently neglected to answer my question about why you'd choose to tip a ski instructor and not say a school teacher? Possibly ignored because no-one has a logical reason other than "that's what people do".

I'm honestly not trolling. I just genuinely don't get the whole tipping thing and how it gets decided (and by who) which jobs and professions deserve a tip for doing a good job and which don't.

Think about all the people who have to work to make your skiing holiday a success. The person at the airport who checks in your bags. The person who loads your bags onto the plane. The security staff who check everyone's bags to keep us safe. The customs officials who check everyone's passport. The cabin crew who look after you on the flight. The person in the ski hire shop who kits you out with the correct equipment. The people who work on the lifts making sure you're able to get up the mountain. The people who go out in the dark every night to maintain the pistes.

Most of them work hard in some sort of "service" capacity. None of them are particularly highly paid. I'd imagine that most of these jobs would be far more boring and less satisfying than teaching people how to ski, but someone still has to do them.

So why do ski instructors, chalet staff, waiters and taxi drivers "deserve" tips while the other jobs I mentioned don't? Is it an assumption (true or not) that unlike the other jobs their basic salary is not enough to live off or is there any other reason?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SlipnSlide, I did not think you were trolling and agree with you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Norrin Radd wrote:
@SlipnSlide, I did not think you were trolling and agree with you.
+1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SlipnSlide wrote:
Quote:
I live with a ski instructor (ESF) and he definitely doesn't find tips vulgar. I've always tipped ESF instructors, they don't get it very often which surprises me when some (not all obviously) make such an effort to look after and teach our children. They don't get paid a huge amount, the time they get to spending doing 'real' skiing is amazingly limited and right now in Les Gets they're all out in whizzing down rain/wet snow for 9 hours with a 30 minute lunch break.

ETA - Tips are never expected, rarely received, and sometimes declined however they're not considered vulgar.

Quote:

mmm, something about the plight of the poor, oppressed ESF instructors doesn't seem to quite add up. Either their working like dogs for 9 hours a day in all weathers or they're struggling to secure more than 15 hours a week of employment. Which one is it!? Puzzled

Presumably during school holidays its 9 hours a day whereas during an early/late season week it is more like 15 hours a week.
snow report
Oi!!!... Where's my bloody tip???!!!???
ski holidays
Wasn't that the thing you served up last week at dinner after the "thumb gate" incident Twisted Evil
latest report
@Kooky, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@flangesax, - I think Ange might be keeping it all to herself Shock
snow conditions
@thecramps, No, it was Inghams, 3 seasons ago.

Apologies, I hadn't noticed your comment tucked in between all the others.
snow conditions
Very good @Kooky, very good!
snow conditions
SlipnSlide wrote:
... If not, what is the difference? Is it because you assume the hourly pay of a ski instructor is significantly less than say a primary school teacher or is it something else? Out of interest does anyone know what the typical hourly income of a ski instructor is?

On the second point, my tip is google, which will get you this as hit #2. It may or may not be accurate:
https://www.snowskool.com/blog/ski-instructor-salaries-2017-how-much-do-instructors-earn-get-paid-make
Those numbers tally reasonably with what you will find elsewhere, but obviously it depends precisely what you measure. In Canada at least the big gap is the ratio between what the resort charges and what they pay the instructor per hour.
--
I'm a Brit and we don't really have a tipping culture. Things mostly work the other way here: we like the price you see to be the price you pay. I note also that the chances are most tips aren't taxed. Other countries are different, and I try to adapt to the local practice. When it comes down to it, it's a market though : people want to teach little kids how to ski on a powder day (!) because they want to be in the snow. Resorts use that to drive down salaries to the minimum the market will support. Not enough instructors? Pay them more. Easy.

I used to work in petrol stations in the UK, where my pay was derisory. I would often be asked by customers to go out in the rain to check their tyres, plus perhaps their oil and screen wash too. The problem was that I didn't know in advance if they'd tip, so I had to do the best I could, which left me feeling resentful of the majority, who took advantage of me. This is a problem with the tipping culture. If I'd known that they were not going to pay, I would have adjusted the level of service downwards accordingly. Hence I think the tip culture is not good because cheats can take advantage of poorer people.

My solution is not particularly British I suppose:
  • Tell me the price up front and I'll pay it
  • If something is not right, I will say so and I will expect you to fix it without argument and with good grace .
  • If you fail, then that bill isn't going to be paid and you can chase me through the courts if you think otherwise.
snow report
Just finished 15 straight days in a fully catered lodge(chalet), as the chalet manager/host. Looked after 6 adults 2 teenagers and 3 children. Personal tip $2100. The guests by the way were not American but a family from Munich. Personal service can be rewarding and rewarded by the right people. The chef received a similar amount.
ski holidays
@SlipnSlide, Agreed 100%. Bit of a conundrum. We do a shed load of work with homeless people, (they never tip) but a quid here or there can really make the difference between life and death. Most people are happy enough to spit on them and tell them to get a job. Sad state of affairs.

@martinm seems to find some humour in the misfortune of others. I don't think people choose to be homeless or live in a war zone. People choose to be chalet staff. They know the score before they sign the contract.
snow conditions
Eh @philwig, I worked in an attended service station for a pittance too. I even cashed up and locked up. Fancy owning a business, paying a spotty face 17yo a derisory wage and trusting them to look after your place on a dark winter evening. I used to do all sorts for people - I'd set the pump on some blokes HGV, run off, fill up a couple of cars, take the money, do some tyres, oil checking and then back again to get the wagon filled to the brim. I don't remember expecting a tip and certainly receiving one was a 1000 to 1 shot. Working as a ski resort slave - yes please! Still I suppose it's different times.

But I concur the British culture is all about transparent, clear and fixed pricing. And IMO, quite rightly so. Although of course I am British.
snow conditions
Thornyhill wrote:

@martinm seems to find some humour in the misfortune of others. I don't think people choose to be homeless or live in a war zone. People choose to be chalet staff. They know the score before they sign the contract.

??????
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy