Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping Chalet Hosts

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If they own it, they're not staff in the tipping sense of the word. They probably make a decent amount, as do chalet owners.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But a tip is given for recognition of great service no?

We used to run one of our chalets and we kept the service levels high for pride, reputation, reviews and repeat bookings, but we still really appreciated a tip for working our backsides off to maximize the value for money and enjoyment people got during their stay
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chaletcompanyconfidential, A tip is given in recognition of great service.
But genarally a price is agreed with the owner and a contract entered in to. It is expected of the owners to work their butts off. That is just the way of the world. Owners have already factored in the profit percentage. How much they give = how successful they are.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dode, Do you not get tips?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chaletcompanyconfidential wrote:
But a tip is given for recognition of great service no?


Yes, to those who aren't paid much - restaurant staff, chalet staff etc.

I've been to restaurants in the UK where the tips go to the owner. I don't leave a tip and don't usually go back either snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dode wrote:
@chaletcompanyconfidential, A tip is given in recognition of great service.
But genarally a price is agreed with the owner and a contract entered in to. It is expected of the owners to work their butts off. That is just the way of the world. Owners have already factored in the profit percentage. How much they give = how successful they are.


If that's the case you don't tip staff that work in a chalet either, you've agreed the price with the TO/ Booker and the staff are paid a wage. It's nonsense to suggest an owner giving a lift into town is not going above and beyond, Or do you expect a 20 year old working for Crystal to give you a lift too?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Thornyhill, not from the public, as I am no longer on the tools/job. My guys get tips from Mr&Mrs Smith. I get a Christmas gift from other regular businesses for whom we work.
If a chalet business with employees gets repeat bookings for a jolly from a company, then I would expect those employees on the jolly from said company to tip the chalet staff, and the company to tip the chalet business by way of a gift.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Stecleary84, business owners can go above and beyond, I try to every day. But I never expect more than the asking price.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Each and every case is different. FWIW I don't tip my hairdresser. But he knows, not least because I regularly tell him so, he can charge me whatever he wants and I will pay it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
The one thing that isn't nonsense on this thread is that the whole thing's a ruddy minefield.

And reinforced in the last dozen or so posts.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hurtle, if I can charge what I want, have I told you that I can cut hair wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stecleary84 wrote:
dode wrote:
@chaletcompanyconfidential, A tip is given in recognition of great service.
But genarally a price is agreed with the owner and a contract entered in to. It is expected of the owners to work their butts off. That is just the way of the world. Owners have already factored in the profit percentage. How much they give = how successful they are.


If that's the case you don't tip staff that work in a chalet either, you've agreed the price with the TO/ Booker and the staff are paid a wage. It's nonsense to suggest an owner giving a lift into town is not going above and beyond, Or do you expect a 20 year old working for Crystal to give you a lift too?


Chalet owner sets the price so they can take the money they want/feel their work merits.

Chalet staff have no option to negotiate what they earn (at least with TOs) - it's accept crap wages or you don't get the job - which is why the should be tipped if they go above and beyond as it's not already priced in in the same way as owners do (or should).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dode wrote:
@Thornyhill, not from the public, as I am no longer on the tools/job. My guys get tips from Mr&Mrs Smith....


As stated previously, I do. I don't expect them and set the price for the job accordingly. I don't expect a tip but it is nice when someone bungs you a few quid extra as a sign of appreciation, so I would tip a chalet owner on the same basis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Chalet owner sets the price so they can take the money they want/feel their work merits.


Market force.

I'm starting to find this thread interesting after all... A bit of anthropology at work...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dode wrote:
@Hurtle, if I can charge what I want, have I told you that I can cut hair wink
Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm suddenly reminded of tipping the lovely driver who drove us every day from the hotel in Alleghe (on the preBirthday Bash) to the lift station and back. He tried to refuse the tip! A real gent.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dode wrote:
@Hurtle, if I can charge what I want, have I told you that I can cut hair wink


The girl that cuts my hair is a rather pretty Ukrainian immigrant. I would give her a tip if I thought I had a chance...... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was always under the impression that privately run chalets were not making much money? Luxury high end chalets aside, I don't see how they can really compete with the TO chalets which make up for small margins with numerous properties. Would be interesting to compare an owner and TO chalet staffs take home wage.

Quote:
Yes, to those who aren't paid much - restaurant staff, chalet staff etc.


But yet we don't tip nurses! Tipping based on salary doesn't make any sense to me. Tipping should be for excellent service, rather than encouraging employers to underpay staff.


Quote:
Chalet staff have no option to negotiate what they earn (at least with TOs) - it's accept crap wages or you don't get the job


You make it sound like slavery. Chalet staff have made the choice to accept a contract. They know going in what the deal is - low wages for a number of perks. There are obviously enough people out there that think it's not such a bad deal as the TOs keep finding new staff each year.


Quote:
A tip is given in recognition of great service. But genarally a price is agreed with the owner and a contract entered in to.


A bit like a contract being entered into between a customer and a TO for a holiday and a TO and their staff for a wage! Based on that we shouldn't tip?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Privately run chalets might not be massive income generators, but your weekly fees are covering the owners' mortgage. So, they may not be cash rich yet, but they'll be looking to retire quite comfortably once it's all said and done!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boarder2020, the TO staff do not own the company.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Thornyhill, your wife would chop off your tip if you did Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FWIW I think that the agreement that I enter into with my guests sets out what I will provide for the duration of their stay, meals, linen, lifts to slopes etc. This is the product that I sell and doesn't differ much from my direct competitors.

The way I provide the product is the service I provide and I would separate them. I wouldn't expect to be tipped for the product but if the service provided is way above expectations then if I was lucky enough to get a tip this is what I would get it for.

Owners of companies or chalets take on the risks associated with running your own business as well as the rewards and this entreprenerialism is separate from the service provided. If you tip based on service it should be based on what has been done not who has done it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chaletcompanyconfidential wrote:
FWIW I think that the agreement that I enter into with my guests sets out what I will provide for the duration of their stay, meals, linen, lifts to slopes etc. This is the product that I sell and doesn't differ much from my direct competitors.

The way I provide the product is the service I provide and I would separate them. I wouldn't expect to be tipped for the product but if the service provided is way above expectations then if I was lucky enough to get a tip this is what I would get it for.

Owners of companies or chalets take on the risks associated with running your own business as well as the rewards and this entreprenerialism is separate from the service provided. If you tip based on service it should be based on what has been done not who has done it.


I'm not sure you can separate them? You're not providing a product because you have to provide service so although you're selling a package there is an experience there. The service is intrinsically linked to the stay?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Levi215 wrote:

I'm not sure you can separate them? You're not providing a product because you have to provide service so although you're selling a package there is an experience there. The service is intrinsically linked to the stay?


I would say that what most chalet companies sell is roughly the same model, same number of meals, level of staffing, standard services offered etc. That product is what you pay for when you book the holiday. The level of service that is provided is what differentiates companies from each other. It's linked to the product but I would argue that it isn't implicit. Service levels can slip (unless you work hard to keep them up) and may vary from week to week (as before) but while the service one week to another may vary you still get the same 3 courses the other guests paid for the week before.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Every business states that what differentiates them is the service, or their 'people'.

It's hard to argue your accommodation is 5* when the photos show it's 3*, but you can always claim your service standards are better and it's hard for anyone to prove otherwise. Unless the reviews are awful.

Call me cynical.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Levi215, +1
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
redcard wrote:
Every business states that what differentiates them is the service, or their 'people'.

It's hard to argue your accommodation is 5* when the photos show it's 3*, but you can always claim your service standards are better and it's hard for anyone to prove otherwise. Unless the reviews are awful.

Call me cynical.


You are being cynical. It might be easy to claim you offer better service than you do but there are more and more places where you can be called on it. Or on the flip side there are more and more places to back up your claims. Look at the TripAdvisor pages for major ski resorts and tell me that chalet companies aren't backing up claims of great service week after week, season after season.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is a depressing thread. Everyone on this forum, and anyone who's been on a chalet holiday, know the staff work for a pittance and live in squalor. They make your breakfast, clean your room, scrub your bog, bake a cake and cook dinner, all the while wearing a rictus grin and preying they won't get groped, again. If you have a problem in leaving €20 in return for all that, then I really don't want to sit next you at dinner.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dr John, The staff made a choice to accept that job.....There must be a reason.

@dode, For sure she would....but it might be worth it Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John wrote:
This is a depressing thread. Everyone on this forum, and anyone who's been on a chalet holiday, know the staff work for a pittance and live in squalor. They make your breakfast, clean your room, scrub your bog, bake a cake and cook dinner, all the while wearing a rictus grin and preying they won't get groped, again. If you have a problem in leaving €20 in return for all that, then I really don't want to sit next you at dinner.


I have a problem with perpetuating the system in which the staff working for a pittance and living in squalor. Forking out €20 wouldn't solve it.
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Thornyhill, The Operators tell the staff in their interview

"Don't worry...you won't have to live off this, you should expect to get XXX in tips if you work hard"

The Operators knowingly underpay.
The staff knowingly accept underpayment, partly for the snow/experience etc, but partly because they are led to expect a certain amount of tips.

Just flippin tip them! €20 makes fek all difference to the cost of your holiday, it makes a big difference to them.

I'm frankly amazed a a number of snowHeads whom I have always had a positive impression of, who are seemingly such stingy mean spirited tightwads....if I ever come on a Bash I hope I will have forgotten the who-is-who in this thread!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just read a post on FB from someone relating their experience on a chalet holiday in Morzine last week. The person owns her own holiday accommodation, and was wondering whether she should give the chalet host some feedback. I bet she didn't leave a tip. Amongst the complaints were
Dirty kitchen doors and floors, food not properly stored in fridge, hot tub not looked after, chalet cold, fire not lit. Hand towels not changed in shared bathrooms, last weeks fag ends lying on the decking. No bathroom cleaning during the week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rungsp, if you actually read the thread, you will find that everybody does in fact tip chalet staff, whether they like the system or not.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rungsp wrote:
@Thornyhill, The Operators tell the staff in their interview

"Don't worry...you won't have to live off this, you should expect to get XXX in tips if you work hard"

The Operators knowingly underpay.
The staff knowingly accept underpayment, partly for the snow/experience etc, but partly because they are led to expect a certain amount of tips.

Just flippin tip them! €20 makes fek all difference to the cost of your holiday, it makes a big difference to them.

I'm frankly amazed a a number of snowHeads whom I have always had a positive impression of, who are seemingly such stingy mean spirited tightwads....if I ever come on a Bash I hope I will have forgotten the who-is-who in this thread!


As above, I give and recieve tips, but someone expecting tips to bolster income....either they didn't think it through or they decided that crap wages with perks was a good enough deal.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells wrote:
....
Dirty kitchen doors and floors, food not properly stored in fridge, hot tub not looked after, chalet cold, fire not lit. Hand towels not changed in shared bathrooms, last weeks fag ends lying on the decking. No bathroom cleaning during the week.


I would leave a tip. My tip would be 'Tidy up FFS' Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, there is an exception to every rule!

No Tip in that example...well perhaps @Thornyhill's
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rungsp, I am intrigued that you feel you have the authority, with the sure certainty of divine knowledge, to instruct snowheads on what to do. Is rungsp the Pope's snowHeads username?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wasn't going to comment further on this thread but the following peaked my interest.

rungsp---
"Don't worry...you won't have to live off this, you should expect to get XXX in tips if you work hard"

Have you ever worked for a TO? or are you just surmising? Wrongly I suspect if so. If not name names and tell us which TO tell their staff this?

I have now worked for 5 To's in 4 countries over 11 seasons and not one of them have ever said such a thing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@achilles, He has a point on relative cost of holiday/pint/tip. 20 squids is OK if service wasn't great but wasn't poor. I think someone accepting a job on the basis of expected tips probably shouldn't have a job. Bit like HMRC asking us all to contribute what we can afford. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
I wasn't going to comment further on this thread but I did



OK Laughing Laughing Laughing

As you have direct experience, why would you not comment?

Your reply to me was ......erm.....shall we say 'less than constructive', but it seems many people don't understand how the system works. You obviously do.

What would you estimate weekly remuneration to be if you include 'the perks'?
ski holidays



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy