Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire Munich - winter tyres?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, in late February I'll be travelling with the family, picking up a hire car at Munich Airport (Budget) and driving to Fügen, Austria. I can't see anything in the booking about winter tyres. Is this standard in Germany (as Sweden), and if not, will I need them?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They'll be on as standard
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As Markymark has said, they'll be fitted as standard, .

iirc they're used from November through to Easter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't worry, I asked the same question. Have a look at Budget T & Cs and it specifically says in there that they are fitted. Likewise, there is no cross border charge either. On a separate note, Buchbinder a couple of weeks ago, after asking me if I'm going to Austria, charged me 20 Euros not for insurance, but for the Recovery Services, RAC etc, to be added to include Austria. Interesting take on the extra charge. Maybe they've been caught out knowing that the cars are always insured to be driven in Austria at no extra, and someone has challenged it. She told me a "horror story" that she herself had encountered breaking down in Austria without it and costing her 450 Euros to be recovered back to Germany. Interesting how they would react if it was declined.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. Put my mind at rest.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
They'll be on as standard
and will also be charged for rolling eyes

- Auto Europe generally include them in their prices.
- Can cost an arm & a leg if paid for at the hire counter.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The tyres will be fitted. Sometimes they are charged for. I have just booked car hire at Munich Airport and have done this through Avis as they included the Winter Tyres in the price. Another company (can't remember which one - done through a generic website) looked cheaper but charged for Winter Tyres and so would have ended up more expensive.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just found in the booking "During the period between 1 November and 15 March, the Winterisation Fee is included in the price." Phew
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hired with Budget at Munich Airport last week. Winter tyres were fitted and no extra charge was required.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mountainaddict, Just say "No problem! I'll have it with standard tyres please and not pay the surcharge.'
They will all have winter tyres on in Munich.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mountainaddict, it's a con. The are already in the car. Dont bother adding them on your booking.
snow conditions
 fizzer
fizzer
Currently looking myself for 25th March going munich to Tux. Arguscarhire coming up at very good prices. Does anyone have any experience /comments/concerns please?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Talking about cons - I got stung by Enterprise at MUC 4 weeks ago on the cross boarder thing, apparently insurance invalid in Austria, if you say Germany only. Going again tomorrow, any advice....Europcar. Snakes all of them!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't pay extra for winter tyres, and your car will probably come with satnav built in as well, at least the ones I hire do.

If you have kids, take your own booster seats with you.

Car hire at Munich airport is an absolute scrum at busy times. It is worth paying a few extra quid for Hertz/Avis/big names to get through quicker (or look at taking the train).

Get your own excess insurance before you go- look at moneysavingexpert et al.

I have also found that it is sometimes cheaper if you hire from German web sites, not UK/International ones.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher wrote:
Don't pay extra for winter tyres, and your car will probably come with satnav built in as well, at least the ones I hire do.

Car hire at Munich airport is an absolute scrum at busy times. It is worth paying a few extra quid for Hertz/Avis/big names to get through quicker (or look at taking the train).

I have also found that it is sometimes cheaper if you hire from German web sites, not UK/International ones.

Agree.
latest report
JohnHSmith wrote:
musher wrote:

Agree.

You are right, it was a scrum and we hired from Avis/Budget. Not impressed. The car had winter tyres, but no snow chains in the boot which was only something I thought about later when I saw the incredibly steep pitch on the road up to the chalet. Fortunately not a problem this time as we were well below the snow line.
ski holidays
We travel Lufthansa and have never had queues at hire desks, mainly business flight early evening Fridays is quiet from Manchester. Its actually Budget we are with tonight and I wondered about the cross-border scam, regards into Austria charges 8€ a day, anyone pay it?
ski holidays
The cross border charge is just a scam, mainly with Buchbinder. When I hire from Salzburg, even going to KItzbuhel you have to cross the border briefly into Germany and they try to charge for cross border. I got caught one, then went to the garage to get the car, and yes you guessed it, it was a German one.
snow conditions
@Markymark29,
Some of the cheaper hire companies have charged it. Avis didn't at Christmas.
ski holidays
@jafa, Yes I know its a scam but its a brave person that says they don't want it when you're told that your insurance will be null and void in Austria and that they will note it on the computer that you've declined it, and they KNOW you are going to Austria.

They're not to be trusted, all as bad imo.

You pick your car up in a dusty badly lit car-park with nobody about, with a hit and miss car wash....you take it back and its like a micro-survey of the car. I just take a video of the car when I pick it up now and hope for the best.
latest report
I've found prepaying with Hertz works best for us, price for a large estate is usually similar to the cheaper companies once cross boarder and any other dubious fees are added. The big benefit is if you join the free gold club then you can by pass the hire desk and go straight to the car park where there's a sign with your name and the bay where your car is. Keys and paperwork are in the car, just load up and the person on the barrier checks your credit card and lets you out. I'd like to think since I'd booked via the .co.uk address and paid in £ if there was a problem it might be easier to deal with, though have yet to test this.
On the way back there's a petrol station signed posted off the airport access road.
Only problem I had was getting the wheely ski bag through the rotating doors on the way to the hire car pick up - discovered after there's a wheel chair access button which opens the middle of the door!
Our Trunki booster seats/bags have paid for themselves about 4 times over across summer and winter holidays, the kids usually pack these themselves with books and toys then moan they are too heavy Very Happy
latest report
@simonbaddeley, Yeah its fun and games in those doors!
ski holidays
 fizzer
fizzer
Just spoke with budget. 5 euros per day extra for Austria. When I asked what for its for taking it out of Germany.
ski holidays
I'm picking up a car at Munich tomorrow from Buchbinder. We've let them know in advance that we'll be taking the car into Austria. The cross-border fee is 10euros payable at the hire car desk. Doesn't seem too ridiculous to me.
ski holidays
[quote="Markymark29"]@jafa, Yes I know its a scam but its a brave person that says they don't want it when you're told that your insurance will be null and void in Austria and that they will note it on the computer that you've declined it, and they KNOW you are going to Austria.

When I say Scam, I mean they use different reasons for the charge. Cross border Insurance or once cross border RAC cover. Either way they try to get you.
latest report
From Munich a few years ago.. no snow tyre . Gaves us snow chains instead.. came to fit them and they were broken and a mixed set.. really struggled to get to obergurgle.. never again. .. make sure they have winter tyres and if chains supplied make sure they are ok before leaving
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I'm picking up a car at Munich tomorrow from Buchbinder. We've let them know in advance that we'll be taking the car into Austria. The cross-border fee is 10euros payable at the hire car desk. Doesn't seem too ridiculous to me.

See you at Munich maybe. I have been through Buchbinder before. That's why I'm with Avis this time. Take lots of pictures of any damage to the car that you can find
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy