Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My return to skiing after a hip replacement - How it went after a 6 yr gap

Poster: A snowHead
A whisker under 5 weeks and have today been discharged by my brilliant surgeon. Told me restart biking and did 9 wonderful, pain free, smooth-as-you-like biking miles tonight. Bloody awesome. I'll update again when it gets nearer to skiing time next season.
Move along, nothing to see here Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow time flies - faster recovery than me doing slightly stupid to myself. Good work.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Frosty the Snowman, Does the other one need doing? Must admit I'm a few years behind you but have already been told one hip is more arthritic than the other.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boredsurfin, it does, but I reckon it's 5-6 years away. The left knee is very much nearer than that though Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, My dear departed Dad had both knees done, one of which had given him pain for 30 odd years, he always said that the replacement knee was the best bit of engineering he had ever been involved in. He even went to the extent of leaving his knee to the manufacturer for research! (He left his entire body to medical research.)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is a tad over 9 months now and after fabulous few months of Mountainbiking (on my E-MTB) I am now only 3 months away from my ski trip, after a 6 year gap. It is only now that I can realise how the hip has affected me over the years. Back in 2008 I missed all but the first day of the EOSB due to a SI joint/back problem, which was undoubtedly caused by my arthritic hip. With hindsight, there is so much that has happened that can be put down to the knackered hip.

March 10th sees 18 of a specially chosen "crew", including both Frostlets and their partners, heading to Flachau, to a House that seems very well placed, if a little basic https://www.muehllehen.com It is all about ME snowHead but it will also be the first time the 4 of us have been away together since our last ski together.

Like Schuss in Boots I am VERY nervous about the skiing - The knees have gone downhill since the last holiday, but the overall fitness and strength is now much better, and with the aid of my Mojo, I am confident all will be well. I am ridiculously excited. More to follow rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Frosty the Snowman, Great news about the skiing holiday and you’ve done all the hard work, so no reason to believe that you won’t thoroughly enjoy it. snowHead I’ll probably be in the area then, so would love to meet up for a celebratory beer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Frosty the Snowman, that's brilliant. Mrs NBT resumed skiing March last year after time out following an unfortunate accident which resulted in a hip replacement: it was as though she'd never had time off skis, loved every second of it, and was so keen that we booked a cheeky second week

I'm sure your experience will be fabulous, enjoy every second of it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Frosty the Snowman, I've skied 4 times now and I still get a little nervous at the beginning but it soon goes. The surgeon said to me (when he cleared me to ski)... 'just a little, max 2hrs at a time and ski normally DO NOT SKI WITH YOUR HEAD!!!' Laughing I know exactly what he meant, I battle with my head in the hour before I get up to the top of that first run.. and sometimes for the first 100m, but he's right. It's a whole lot easier once you let your head go and your legs take over. wink As you know, I skied with a brace on for the first 3 times, that was a prop for my 'head' and it did work, really helped. Ditched it half way through the 3rd time and I ski without it now, just an elasticated knee support, so let your mojo take the strain on your knees... and your head. wink You'll be fine - I know you will.... you're made of strong stuff my friend. Very Happy snowHead snowHead xx
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
that's great news, Frosty the Snowman. Let us know how it goes. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Frosty the Snowman, gutted we are going to miss you by a week but look forward to seeing you on a mountain in 18-19
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Frosty the Snowman, Wishing you an absolutely brilliant ski holiday! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Frosty the Snowman, High Five.
So pleased that you are able to ski again and mtbike.
I was warned off mtbing by the surgeon and a physio. However the need to cycle was too great. Still very cautious but enjoying getting out on my mtbike when I can.
More importantly it gets me fit for the ski season. I know what you mean about leaving your head behind.
The trick is to realise what your capabilities are and stay within them. But that doesn't mean to say you can't push yourself a little further everyday.

Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm sure you'll be fine mate. I had my left hip replaced at the end of October last year and went to Tignes in March. The only thing I would warn you about is getting tired. It can apply to anyone like, but tiredness = potential mistakes.
snow report
@Mrs NBT, i'm trying hard not to fall off the bike. We are X Country bikers really, but do throw in the odd trail park.

@Thesixquidman, Great to hear stories of success. Cheers.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, I am so excited for you! Wheeeeeeee! Very Happy Very Happy x
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, that's fantastic news!
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, Such great news! Hope you have a fantastic time.
latest report
This is the happiest thread on snowHeads Happy
latest report
@rob@rar, you would be proud.....just got me some hideous bright orange North Face trousers from.TKMaxx for a song 😃
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@rob@rar, you would be proud.....just got me some awesome bright orange North Face trousers from.TKMaxx for a song 😃
FIFY.

wink
snow report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Just seen this @Frosty the Snowman, and I'm so happy for you - fantastic news Very Happy Very Happy You'll have a fab time and I'm sure it will go well snowHead
ski holidays
Just under 5 weeks to go now until the first ski. I've shed 13kg and Mrs FtS reckons I'm fitter than i have been in the last 15 ys. Working hard and most days in the gym.
Today i dragged out the ski boors and tried them and the ski mojo on. Few little bits of setup and maintenance required but was astounded how great the legs felt while bouncing up and down with the mojo switched on. Expectations are now pretty high.
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, snowHead
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, snowHead
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Watching with great interest... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
You struggling old man?
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, having been away from skiing for a while until very recently, this is the first time I've seen this thread. Delighted to hear that you are making such good progress and I hope you have a great trip.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, returned to this thread by accident/luck. Now will be regular look-in, with increasing interest as the great day arrives. You are obviously doing all the right things - well done with the weight loss (will spur me on to do the same).
Your "basic" house looks rather nice - enjoy the sauna, but be careful with "The incomparable nightlife of Flachau, full of bars, pubs and discos". Many a disco has been the indoing of us oldies Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ok, so here we go. The holiday is over and it went superbly. We hired a house https://www.muehllehen.com/ about 150m from the StarJet lift and very handy for the bus stop for Flachauwinkle and very handy for the town centre. We knew the house was “tired” but it was absolutely perfect for our group of 19. It is 2/3 barn and 1/3 house, but I am sure the owner will develop it soon into something rather special. We flew in from 3 separate airports, on 2 separate days and included one dash for my youngest and his girlfriend back to the UK for an important interview that couldn’t be changed, which involved them missing one day of skiing. Transfers were excellent €20 pp each way from Flachau based Taxi3000, but we also transported 4 in a hire car that ended up doing 5 return airport runs during the week
I cocked up with the ski hire, got my Star and Space mixed up and hired from the wrong lift station. Turned out ok though and Fisbacher Rental provided a very good service with a good group discount (15%)
We had a fabulous holiday with huge laughs every day. The young ones liked the Lisa Alm up the hill and the Hofstadl back room, which was as mental as any place I have ever been. We ate in and out and generally had a spiffing holiday.
It is a great area. I tried to ski as little as possible in Flachau but the cloud sometimes kept us local, around mid-station in the trees. Zauchensee had by far the best snow in what was a very warm week.
It was a year and a week since the op and I was VERY nervous. I did give it my best shot and had lost 2.5 stone since the op and got myself fitter than I had been for 15 years. A big help in this was the purchase of an e-bike hardtail mountain bike, and going out with Mrs FtS and another 3 folks every weekend on the North Yorkshire Moors (bloody brilliant). I also joined a gym and went fairly regularly. Since 1st Jan I have hammered the gym, putting in 4-5 big sessions each week of at least 90 minutes. I started doing air-squats (no weight) at the start of Jan and although it was agony for the knees it gradually became easier and less painful. I alternated this each day with hip strength and glutes exercises.

So, the skiing:
Day 1: I could ski, just not very well. The cloud was in and out and it got very soft and lumpy after lunch and I didn’t really enjoy it. Thought that evening that it would be my last ski holiday.
Day 2-6: My skiing improved every day, but it wasn’t until day 5 that I managed to consistently get my weight forward, and not until the final afternoon that I conquered the mounded slush. The problem was, that despite all of my work, a f****d knee is a f****d and the pain from the Osteo Arthritis meant that bending the downhill knee to any significant degree was just so difficult and that I was constantly too upright. I eventually mastered getting the weight forward without much bend in the downhill knee, but it was still tough on the joints. The pain on Sunday, at home was pretty unpleasant, but has eased lots now.
I wore impact shorts on the 1st two days, but binned them. My left turns with the new hip were great, it was only the right ones with the old hip and old knee where I struggled.
I had a couple of quieter days, but we still made 1st lift every day and I managed 180km for the week. By the end I reckon I skied as well as I ever have, if not better, and am now looking to go again next year, providing the knee holds up. I would like to lose the same amount of weight again, but that will be tough. It was lovely to not feel shattered at the end of each day, a feeling I don’t think I have ever had when skiing. Getting back on the snow was magical, and the quiet runs up at the top of the Gamskogel in Zauchensee, in superb snow, were very special indeed (pic below). It's good to be back snowHead

If any are in a similar position then please just ask if you have any questions.

latest report
:Like:
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, Well done! glad you made it back, but I do think that lid needs a snowHead sticker Very Happy
latest report
Nice one - so back on the Vans now as well then! Toofy Grin
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, delighted to hear that your first ski trip since the op went so well. snowHead
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman,
What a great read . Congratulations that all your hard work has paid off so well. snowHead
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, you are an inspiration buddy, well done. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy