Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

book now for March or wait.......

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I have twisted my husband's arm so far up his back that it is almost broken and he has capitulated to a ski holiday this year. This is our last chance before our oldest daughter starts school. I need to give work six weeks notice so looking at 2nd or 3rd week of March. Would love to go with Esprit - their deals for Jan are/were great but March is not that appealing. I don't really mind where we go, would like chalet as otherwise we are stuck in self catering just the two of us each evening, would like to fly from Scotland but could drive to Manchester if needed. My feeling is I should just book the third week of March off work and then hold out until the beginning of March or is this crazy with kids? Will we be able to get any childcare at last minute? Flights are already quite expensive so I think package will end up being cheaper.........decisions decisions almost wish husband had said no!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Book the time off and hold your nerve for a last minute bargain. It's not half term, it's not Easter, so there'll be loads of empty beds. Just a couple of weeks ago Ski Miguel were offering holidays (Flight, transfer and chalet board accom included) for £299 for those who could go last minute. You couldn't do it cheaper yourself, unless you kipped in a cow shed. But you prob don't want to introduce your kids to farm animals that way. Perhaps what you save you could spend on a teen to look after the kids. Be brave and you'll find something good!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure if you will necessarily get a deal from Esprit in March. It is a few years since I looked but they used to have more offers in Jan (early in the season) and fewer late deals for March. If you aren't fussed about the operator/resort you can probably hold out.

I'd recommend looking at Snowbizz for that week. They do packages with flights and have excellent childcare. Accommodation basic but right at the foot of the slopes and they do have catering options.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I received an email from Esprit today here is an extract

"Stay in Chalet Hotel Ducs de Savoie departing 23rd March for 7 nights and take advantage of our free ski and boot rental offer for children, Buy 1-Get 1 Half-Price Offer on adult Espace Killy lift passes as well as £120 Cash-Back per couple. All lift passes are free for children under 5.
Prices for a family of 4 start from £1,677* with Esprit Classic Child Care available from £209 for a week of exclusive lessons.
*based on a family of 4 with 2 children under 5"

So keep an eye I am sure they will have more offers.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would book now, find yourself an acceptable deal and be done with it. A bargain may or may not come along and if you don't book now you will be spending these 6 weeks searching and worrying about it. I always book all my holidays the day (week at most) as I decide on them. I like having things done and dusted as soon as I can and get on with my life.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
never summer, liking your thinking.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowshoe, the problem with late booking while still in reasonably high season (e.g. 2nd week March is still in French school holidays) is that while you might get lucky and get a bargain for what you want, you are more likely to have to compromise on accommodation, location, flights even if you are a pair of sharing adults.

Half term, etc. is manic because of silly UK school rules. Ergo, anyone who can avoid that period will or at least should. Likewise, French V.S.s ought to be avoided - meaning parents with under-schol kids and no constraints would normally find the 3rd week of March attractive.

Add need for childcare with a UK-centric* (*whether this is attractive or not is up to you) tour operator (*) and you have a relatively more limited set of choices, any of which can turn exactly what you want into something that, at best, niggles.

At the limit, if you don't care where you go, where you fly from, what you sleep in or who takes cares of your kids, book the night before you leave - and think you can grab a bargain **. Work back from there to your own sweet spot wink

** - not to be recommended for New Year's week...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love the way peoples opinions vary wildly, I personally would wait, there are great last minute deals now for Feb, the weather is warminging up considerably and the weather has been all over the place of late, so a lot of people will be holding off. I'd say there will be plenty of deals for March in late Feb. You may not get exactly what you want but if you get it for peanuts you wont mind, hell thats why Ryanair is so popular Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd say that if you really want Esprit go for the current deals as instanced by J9 above, which sounds pretty good. Not that I'd choose the Espace Killy, personally. If you are more flexible/adventurous wait for a deal for that third week in March (don't do France the previous week). You could explore the Snowbiz option too - as recommended by snowymum. They get good recommendations here, are cheaper and if I were going with a 4 year old I'd much prefer that location.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BAJJ, You're missing the childcare point I think?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, oops
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone - yes childcare is the main issue. Found a great S/C deal to la thuille which I was desperate to book only to find there is no child care for under 4's in resort.

I rang esprit who are still quoting £2700 for that week (although that includes childcare) we would still have lift passes and equipment so probably close to £4000 all in.

To be honest I was more in the £2000 ball park! I have booked the week of 22nd off and am going to sit tight until March and hope for a deal then - if it's not possible then I'll cancel my leave and we will focus on saving for a trip at new year instead where we will DIY with a big group of friends.

Thanks for all your advice.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowshoe, have you had a look at snowbizz? Another one to watch for a good deal.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowshoe wrote:
Thanks everyone - yes childcare is the main issue. Found a great S/C deal to la thuille which I was desperate to book only to find there is no child care for under 4's in resort.

I rang esprit who are still quoting £2700 for that week (although that includes childcare) we would still have lift passes and equipment so probably close to £4000 all in.

To be honest I was more in the £2000 ball park! I have booked the week of 22nd off and am going to sit tight until March and hope for a deal then - if it's not possible then I'll cancel my leave and we will focus on saving for a trip at new year instead where we will DIY with a big group of friends.

Thanks for all your advice.

Not sure how many you are but have you tried Mark Warner - they have places with childcare. I did a quick search for that week for 2 adults and 1 child and they are offering their st ANton place for £1623.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its the childcare that limits options and inflates prices. NickyJ, and I have discussed this on several threads. I've only used Esprit but I think NJ has MW experience.

Esprit are great with childcare and that's very important. I am sure(ish) that prices for March will drop if you're prepared to wait. I have seen some excellent deals in the past. It may be French holidays, but Esprit target a UK audience. They need bums on planes and chalets full. That said I go at NY and suffer the pain in my wallet as I book 12 months in advance.
snow report
Mike-H wrote:
Its the childcare that limits options and inflates prices. NickyJ, and I have discussed this on several threads. I've only used Esprit but I think NJ has MW experience.

Esprit are great with childcare and that's very important. I am sure(ish) that prices for March will drop if you're prepared to wait. I have seen some excellent deals in the past. It may be French holidays, but Esprit target a UK audience. They need bums on planes and chalets full. That said I go at NY and suffer the pain in my wallet as I book 12 months in advance.

Not yet - we fly out in April. However I have had sufficient positive feedback about them to convince me to book them when they came up with a price significantly less that Esprit for that week (fingers crossed they'll be OK). However there model appears to be close enough to make them worth checking prices and keeping an eye on as well.
ski holidays
Do Club Med provide childcare?
latest report
snowshoe, rationally, that's a rather odd choice, if you don't mind me pointing out (do I care if you do? titter) New Year being the absolutely most expensive and busy week of the year. Our 3 apartments were booked by end-September and there were still emails going around the round robin looking for accom on the 31st of Dec.

Have a look also at www.ski2.com who go to Champoluc which is very lovely and good value in all senses. They do have childcare and their own ski school and look to run a decent operation.
snow conditions
Or go slightly later and enjoy late starts and late lunches once the snow has gone off. That said, a few years ago I was stcuk in teh house working while the OH was off skiing deep powder second week in April...
latest report
*based on a family of 4 with 2 children under 5"

[/quote]

Miniature children only! Very Happy
latest report
I booked in mid February last year for an early April (Easter holidays) trip with Crystal in La Plagne. They still had childcare left, in fact they were able to do a search for resorts with childcare still available (I think, from memory)

I know Crystal sometimes get a bashing on here, and I was expecting a crap holiday as a result, but they were absolutely fine and we were very happy with the service - and I'm pretty picky as these things go. Did the whole lot with three children (6, 4 and 1) including lift passes etc for £3500 in self catering - that included full childcare for the 1 year old, ski school mornings for the older two and childcare afternoons for the 4 year old. And top end skis. So I'm sure you could find something outside the holidays with just one child for loads less!
latest report
Have a look at Crystal Grand Claviere. Went there last year without kids, admittedly, but had a great time and the child-care seemed excellent.

snowHead
snow conditions
I have tried doing late deals with Esprit for the past couple of years and TBH their prices don't really go down significantly, unless you have VERY specific needs (e.g. 1 parent + 1 child, or something similar). Also, if you want your kiddies to do ski lessons too, check with Esprit for availability of lessons for kids BEFORE you book a late deal with them. There have been a couple of somewhat attractive sounding deals but which wouldn't work because they didn't have space left in Spritelets.

I've also looked at SnowBizz and whilst it looks nice it is not signficantly cheaper than say Esprit or MW, once you factor in all costs (childcare, kiddies clubs, ski rental, etc). And it's self-catering.

We actually did go with Esprit last year (Belle Plagne in April) and even at £3500-ish it was awesome. My eldest (4) asking to go skiing again all through summer tells its own story!
latest report
Just remembered - Ski famille have a new property in La Plagne. They keep emailing deals for this year possible due to new property etc. I have not used them but they have a good rep and the offers I saw for Jan were very, very good. Family of 4 about £1600 inc childcare. Email them for price and ask to go on mailing list.

sparklies, I used Crystal in La Plagne on my first trip. Chalet Rose II. The childcare is next door which was ideal. Chalet host was next to useless (see my review on SH) but childcare was good and chalet OK.

Its just my opinion but the last thing you need is to get kids dressed, packed, ready etc and then have to walk somewhere. Getting your own ski gear on is a sweat fest at best.

Also - think about what you want. Chalet or chalet-hotel, in-house childcare or in another hotel, TO childcare or private service in resort.

Remember that peace of mind often comes at a price.
snow report
I was also going to recommend Grande Claviere in Claviere. We are booking it right this minute for last week in March. Have a 6 year old, been before, but haven't used the childcare, but everyone raves about it. We've booked through Royalties so just over the £1k (from Glasgow) for 3 of us all inclusive (which is DB&B plus a packed lunch, which wasn't up to much last time, and a free bar from 4.30-10.30) so won't need much spending money when there. Great deal I think, just hope the snow holds out! It was last week in March we went last time, and snow was great.
snow report
Mike-H, Yep, we couldn't afford (nor do I think it was still available) the Chalet Rose as it bumped the prices just over the level to be able to convince the husband to go, but next time we've learned our lesson and WILL try and get right next to the childcare wherever we go! The SC accommodation we were in that I totally forget the name of (run by P&V) but takes up most of 1800, was extremely good for the money and we were very happy.
ski holidays
Snowshoe I get periodic emailings from esprit and I would hold fire until the end of February and see if they have deals coming up. Look what deals they have next week. I think you will be unlucky if there are no deals. Worth getting on the ski miquel database as well. They were offering very cheap trips for the week coming. If they have any deals in serre chevalier there are creches at the foot of slopes in monetier.

I would hold your nerve for sat 15th or 22nd March
snow conditions
sparklies, If you can avoid school holidays most weeks in Jan offer the best bargains. I've seen deals for family of four at under 2K in catered chalet with flights.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowshoe, just spotted this on Esprits facebook page

Gressoney, Valle D'Aosta, Italy looking fantastic! Prices from £1699 per family + 1 FREE Snowclub per family in March ANDIAMO!
ski holidays
Mike-H - Unfortunately with two at school and a third starting next year I'm reluctant to rock the boat with the fines/court etc. I would happily have done it last season before the new rules came in!
snow report
Snowshoe, the problem is that most of the deals will be out of Gatwick, not Manchester or Glasgow, so you have to do what us right for your locality.
snow conditions
Just thought i would add to this thread to help anyone out considering booking late with Esprit in the future. i have tried, but failed, to get any last minute availabilty with esprit over the last three weeks from any london airports. Where there have been flights we were unable to get childcare within the chosen accomodation. Also you are best to give them a call as what is advertised on their deals page is not always current availability.
snow conditions
Myself and a pal booked a couple of weeks back (so 6 weeks out) for last week in March. We dropped on catered chalet in Tignes for £410 inc flights/transfers. We talked about holding out but don't see much point at that price. The thing I found when looking is that the accommodation is available but flights go first which then restricts options. London is better served than the north so maybe that's not much of an issue.
snow conditions
o11y wrote:
Just thought i would add to this thread to help anyone out considering booking late with Esprit in the future. i have tried, but failed, to get any last minute availabilty with esprit over the last three weeks from any london airports. Where there have been flights we were unable to get childcare within the chosen accomodation. Also you are best to give them a call as what is advertised on their deals page is not always current availability.

This does make me feel justified in my obsession with booking early Happy thanks for this.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, If it was January then i would probably still hold out for a late deal. But, even the costs i was given were not exactly deal like in my view. If we could of got the right airport and childcare arrangements then i think we may have saved around £400 from brochure price. It may be that they are busier this year or are just no running as many flights from London.
snow report
School holidays only! In this case we booked 16th April. Which with the discount we get for repeat customers - this will be our 5th time but probably last as girls are now 7 & 10, I won't be surprised if I don't see it for less than we paid. I am waiting to see what they advertise, but they have only just added that week to their deals and that doesn't include where we are going. I have looked at the week before and even there reduced prices are significantly more than we have paid for the week later.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy