Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing 'switch'

Poster: A snowHead
I'm gradually trying to develop my ability to go backwards, but don't seem to be doing too well with it. Does anyone have any simple tips that could help?

I guess that part of the problem is that I don't really do it enough, it's usually a good way to hold up the people you're skiing with. Also I can't seem to twist my body enough. It looks like such a simple stance when I see others doing it but whenever I try it doesn't seem like my body can fit in that position...either that or I just end up in a reverse snowplough.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was trying a bit last week. My problem is I find it hard to stay switch and tend to pivot the full 360. In fact I can happily to 1080 in flat pirouettes. I think it's because I haven't found a comfortable position to hold with my head/shoulders rotated towards the tails, tend to look back at my tips and where the head goes the ...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I guess that part of the problem is that I don't really do it enough

That!

I used to be able to do it comfortably when I was teaching. But now that I've stopped teaching, I don't do it often enough.

A week ago, I found myself sliding backward. My mind wants to turn one way but my feet forgot what to execute. I ended up with a reverse snowplough to a full stop.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It requires strong Adductor muscles, which unless you regularly ride a horse, will be weak unless you specifically train them.

Just a thought, which may be wrong in your case.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Does anyone have any simple tips that could help?

Have you tried putting your skis on backwards?

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@king key, yes!! They don't fit NehNeh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They do if you turn the boots around too! Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@king key, top tip, I'll try it on the next trip. Thanks Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you tried practising without goggles on...?

Disclaimer: I'm terrible at skiing switch and can only manage v. short distances on blues. However, when I have managed to do it for any amount of time (and look where I'm going) it has been without goggles.

People who are great at it probably don't notice as they already have the steezy slouched stance sorted, but at my v. beginner level the extra two inches I need to turn my head makes a massive difference to my confidence, though I have certainly not got it sorted yet at all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On a side note, I was with my daughter's boyfriend who was fighting to get his ski on, when I glanced over and said "You do know it's back to front don't you?"........he didn't. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

that's a good thought - would make the position easier wouldn't it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster wrote:
Quote:

that's a good thought - would make the position easier wouldn't it?

If the boots are on backwards, the goggles should be also.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can do backwards linked snowplough turns (say on blues) without having to think too hard (therefore no tips, I'm afraid!). Not tried anything more ambitious.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/YK11Ln8zGf4

http://youtube.com/v/RpsH71MQNZ4

Edit: Couldn't figure out how to put the damn videos embedded
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Always look over your outside shoulder.
snow conditions
The videos @Bennisboy posted are the best I've seen. I'm also practicing every time the slope is empty. The PSB was great for that - managed a whole blue run switch. I need to lift my goggles up and hold poles in one hand otherwise I have the habit of getting one stuck under my ski. I also have the same problem as @jedster in when twisting round to look I tend to spin around fully. I need to concentrate a lot when I'm sliding my foot forwards to start the new turn, but I suppose its like learning to ski again and it will come more naturally with practice.
latest report
Also this one is a bit shorter, but outlines how to progress a bit more (in case the link doesn't work properly, the switch skiing is at 2.03)

http://youtube.com/v/yoAesRZcVTo?t=123

Basically a lot of it is practice
snow conditions
@Bennisboy, yeah I've been watching a lot of the Stomp It videos...not sure I'm ready for the double cork yet though Very Happy

Those other videos have some useful stuff too, I really struggle getting twisted enough to see over my shoulder when I'm on the slopes. Might have a trip to one of the local dry slopes to try and practice, they've got a pretty gentle slope and I've got some scratty twins off ebay that I don't mind taking a bit of abuse.
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Bennisboy, yeah I've been watching a lot of the Stomp It videos...not sure I'm ready for the double cork yet though Very Happy

Those other videos have some useful stuff too, I really struggle getting twisted enough to see over my shoulder when I'm on the slopes. Might have a trip to one of the local dry slopes to try and practice, they've got a pretty gentle slope and I've got some scratty twins off ebay that I don't mind taking a bit of abuse.

Haha I mean why attempt skiing switch when you can just go straight for the corks and wing it when you land?

I think the key is definitely being flexible enough to rotate a lot of your upper body. When I was learning it I basically semi-tucked so it meant I was almost looking down the line of my upper body rather than stretching to look backwards, also helped me have a bit of a wider steadier stance. Then you can gradually get more upright as you become more comfortable with the twisted upper half.
(It's hard to describe but I know what I mean Very Happy )
snow conditions
You can't ski switch. You can snowboard, skateboard, surf or wakeboard switch, but not ski.

Ar$ewards is the best you can hope for.
snow report
@stevomcd, yes you can. The term switch comes from the idea of a change from one thing to another. While in skateboarding or snowboarding that means a change of stance, it's perfectly acceptable to use it in reference to skiing and is widely understood. Here's some definitions By the way http://www.finedictionary.com/switch.html

It may come as a shock but the etymology of the word 'switch' referred to change or reverse long before people were standing sideways on things that move.
ski holidays
Try and look over the opposite shoulder to the direction you are turning. One technique you can use is to open your arm like opening a door behind you. Do this whilst linking a few turns and you can work out the timing. Also if you bend at the hip when going a little bit faster it can help with the stability. Twin tips and being more center mounted will help as well.
snow report
I find driving the outside ski backwards a bit helps get everything else rotated (while you look over the outside shoulder), and I think tends to help you weight the outside ski. Which will make it want to drive you round the turn. You need to be quite dynamic with your change of shoulder to look over. Trust that as you pass the fall line, your outside ski will grip.

Quote:

it's usually a good way to hold up the people you're skiing with

Unless they're trying it too, ditch them for half an hour every now and then to concentrate on what you're trying to do. I had most success at this on a trip to St Lary in the Pyrenees skiing with a couple of friends who weren't remotely interested in getting up before lunch. First lift up, get a piste to yourself when it's freshly groomed and empty. If it's just you and consistent snow with no other variables (people) everything gets much easier.
latest report
Unless you're in the park or teaching, why would you want or need to?
ski holidays
@Dr John, insightful post, thanks.

If you really want to know I'm no park rat but enjoy a few runs through jumps and intend to start doing some tricks, going backwards is a basic skill for that. But other than that I want to improve my skiing to be a better all rounder. I want to be comfortable skiing ice, powder, piste and park.
snow conditions
@SnoodlesMcFlude, it was a straight question, and it elicited a full explanation from yourself so it ended up being insightful.
ski holidays
@Dr John, I've wanted to be able to do it since trying (and failing) to copy my instructor on my first day.

I'm also really crap in the air / on park stuff and being comfortable going backwards feels like part of getting a real handle of controlling the skis.
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Dr John, insightful post, thanks.

If you really want to know I'm no park rat but enjoy a few runs through jumps and intend to start doing some tricks, going backwards is a basic skill for that. But other than that I want to improve my skiing to be a better all rounder. I want to be comfortable skiing ice, powder, piste and park.

Also it can be fun. Skiing isn't always about bombing straight down the hill, it is nice to have some variety to what you do
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dr John, sorry, got up early so I've been in a crappy mood and snapping at everyone today Very Happy
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, ah yes, and mute grabs are just quiet grabs as well, eh? wink

Sorry, ar$ewards it is. Surprised you guys don't try to call it fakie.
snow report
@stevomcd, Sorry, ar$ewards it is. Surprised you guys don't try to call it fakie.

Same would apply to "split boarding" , just looks like skiing to me ! NehNeh
latest report
stevomcd wrote:

Is that chip on your shoulder painful? Wink
snow conditions
stevomcd wrote:

as someone who skates all summer and snowboards all winter I've never been able to work out what it should be called on a snowboard.

for sure though, it neither on ski's, it simply backwards Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy