Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fantastic Time but Norway is just too expensive

Poster: A snowHead
We love Norway, great family ski destination, not expensive to get here or indeed to stay and ski here. However despite taking food and wine even essentials were ridiculously priced this year. Mild is £3 a single tin of beer is £7!!!!! Everything is three times the price at home. Shame as I think these prices will stop a lot of Brits coming here. Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@warbis66, was that in resort in Trysil?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well the £ has sort of crashed a bit since last season. Though I doubt it has ever been cheap going to Norway if you want to have more than one or two beers in the week.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 16-02-17 17:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah Trysil but even the coop is mega expensive.
Apparently the average norwegian family spend £2000 a month on food
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Large market for Teslas too as the tax on any other sort of high end motor is eye watering.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to Trysil a couple of years ago. As has been mentioned, most parts of the holiday were good value however we only ate out once as I think it came to something like £40 for a large pizza and coke. I didn't find the shop prices to be particularly bad, most mountain shops charge a premium. I took as much food as possible with me and don't really drink.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed half board, lunchtime we just made some sandwiches and had bits and bob's from the supermarket which didn't seem any more expensive than I'd expect in the Alps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
warbis66 wrote:
Everything is three times the price at home.(

Restaurants and alcohol are very expensive in Norway, but the supermarket isn't three times the price? I notice it being a bit more expensive than Sweden, which is in turn more expensive than the UK, but not prohibitively so.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can assure you most items are three times the price much more expensive than three years ago
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@warbis66, have had trips to Finland, Norway and Iceland over the last year or so and broadly speaking I find restaurants and bars to be somewhere between 1.5 and 2 times UK prices. A beer that is £4.50 in London is £8 in any of those places and a pizza that's £12 in Pizza Express is about £20. When paying for a whole family the difference stings a bit. However, one reason I chose Voss was that the flights were very cheap for half term and I found a whole house on AirBnB for peanuts. So when compared to a popular French resort and flying into Geneva, the saving was huge. Ate out a couple of times but otherwise self catered and I found the supermarket prices to be fine, kind of Waitrose prices rather than Aldi.

The exchange rate 3 years ago is almost bang on where it is today so that's not the issue.

Agree, Norway is great for family skiing but think Finland tops it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Supermarket the trick seemed to be buy the Norwegian stuff. Imported hideously expensive, stuff like the store baked bread, local cheese, Norwegian jam, crisps snacks much more reasonable.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are in Trysil at the moment (3rd time) and I agree it is soooooo expensive. We are self catering and the prices are mental; way more expensive than before, and we haven't treated ourselves to a single meal out. Example, when we arrived late evening we bought 3 x kids pizza and an adult one, a carton of milk and a pack of butter for £81.00. Six pack of cider £34.00 from supermarket (we bought a box of wine but ran out!). We chatted to a Swedish lady yesterday and one of the first things she said was how expensive it was, so it's not just an exchange rate issue. That said, flights and hotel prices comparable with many parts of Europe. If you are coming, go half board and raid the breakfast buffet for lunch. And
bring a flask lol - coffee is £6.50!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bambionskiis, interesting. We're off to åre tomorrow so we'll see what prices are like in sweden...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gin is £50 a bottle!!!
Such a wonderful place to ski but back to France next year
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is interesting - as I live here. Keep in mind, that locals (like me), rarely - if ever, eat dinner at the restaurants at the Ski-Star resorts (Hemsedal, Trysil, etc), due to the eye-gauging prices they charge. Norwegians are almost always doing self-catering, and stop at a supermarket somewhere on the drive to the resorts. A lot will also make lunch at the cabin, and take that to the slopes as well. The fact that Trysil, and most Norwegian resorts now have kids areas with grills with free firewood, make for a decent bbq lunch Happy

As an example, we are going to Hemsedal tonight for 4 days. 2 families. Apart from lift cards, the cost won't be any more than what we would spend staying at home.

In closing - yes Norway is expensive, but there are ways to minimise the sting.
snow conditions
warbis66 wrote:
Yeah Trysil but even the coop is mega expensive.
Apparently the average norwegian family spend £2000 a month on food

Wrong. My wife works in management for Coop supermarket chain here, and she just said that the number is around £680 for a family of 4. Please check your facts.
ski holidays
Excuse me!!! Why are people so rude on here.
I have checked my facts and i dont really see why you think you are right and im not?!?!?
snow report
Quote:

i dont really see why you think you are right and im not?!?!?

same applies other way round. Where do your facts come from?

Anyone for whom drinking a lot is a key part of a holiday and who doesn't want to pay the widely-publicised high prices is nuts to go on holiday in Norway.

I spent a couple of weeks in Norway the year before last (not skiing) and didn't find prices in supermarkets too bad - I travelled Oslo - Trondheim - Bodo by train at stunningly cheap prices. I spent a week on a yacht where my roughly £100 a day cost covered everything including a very high-spec yacht, fuel, professional crew, including excellent home cooked food and a glass of wine with supper. They were buying stuff in Norwegian supermarkets - the boat was in the Lofotens all summer. My fellow crew members (all strangers to me) generously shared the gin they'd bought and I bought G & Ts for all in a bar at the end - expensive, but because I was backpacking and travelling very light I'd not wanted to lug around a bottle of gin!

When not on the boat I picknicked - apart from one (pricey but not ruinous) pizza in Oslo - on stuff bought in shops, including ethnic shops with interesting fruit and other bits, reasonable prices.

To my mind, buying pizzas and drinks out for a family of four is stupidly expensive in the UK too - the easiest way to save dosh is not to do it. Buying drinks at pub prices is ridiculously expensive too when booze in supermarkets is cheap. A £12 bottle of decent wine from Waitrose is much better value!

If I was going on a family holiday in Norway I'd be taking a checked bag full of carefully thought out edibles and surely a litre of spirits per adult should suffice?? wink
latest report
Which, if hou read my post i have. I am not concerned about restaurants prices i was talking about general basics.
snow conditions
Which, if hou read my post i have. I am not concerned about restaurants prices i was talking about general basics.
ski holidays
warbis66 wrote:
Excuse me!!! Why are people so rude on here.
I have checked my facts and i dont really see why you think you are right and im not?!?!?

I am not being rude. I am simply stating facts, and asking you to do the same...

I have lived here for almost 20 years, so I know what I am talking about.
ski holidays
Well comebshopping to Trysil and tell me its not expensive as you will be the only man standing who doesnt
latest report
We've just had a "second" week in Norway (not done the "first" yet which is France in March) in a small resort (Beitostolen). Very limited downhill but very extensive CC (or should I say "Nordic"….......) which we wanted to try. Some friends (who also ski in the Alps) had been a couple of times before for a "cheap" week. Well £194 each SC isn't bad surely? (Flights, transfers, accomodation). We were prepared to do all self catering and prices in supermarkets were 50 to 100% more than here but the quality is excellent. We never went in a bar or bought a coffee even, as our apartment was close to the skiing .

A great advantage was that you virtually had the downhill area to yourself. But it was very limited, you'd only go there to do CC as well (world class for that) or as a downhill beginner. Incidentally, CC is considerably harder than I anticipated. I'm a fairly competent downhill skier and struggled to stop the damn things.

But we may go back another year and give it another go. However La Plagne next.........
snow report
Coffee 37 NOK in the Skarsnuten Hotel in Hemsedal, which is about £4 I think. So a bit more than a hotel in the UK (in a prime location) but not terrible. I've not looked in the supermarkets this year (we brought all our food with us) but assuming it's like Sweden, then as @davkt said, buy the local brands not the imports. Alcohol...hmmm, don't bother unless you earn way more than most people. But then a skiing holiday in Scandinavia is not really about the drinking, is it?
snow conditions
davkt wrote:
Supermarket the trick seemed to be buy the Norwegian stuff. Imported hideously expensive, stuff like the store baked bread, local cheese, Norwegian jam, crisps snacks much more reasonable.

This is what you should get used to after Brexit. Prices in the UK will spiral like Norway & Switzerland
latest report
stanton wrote:
davkt wrote:

This is what you should get used to after Brexit. Prices in the UK will spiral like Norway & Switzerland

Nonsense. Higher prices in Scandinavia are driven by higher taxes, to fund a social welfare system and promote a more equal distribution of wealth across society. This is exaggerated further in Norway by money from oil and gas.
snow conditions
Our UK prices will escalate and i will blame Brexit
ski holidays
@mgrolf, Exactly good breakfast in the hotel then lunch with stuff from the supermarket was coming out as about £5 or £6 a day (and that was feeding a 12 and 16 year old). Beer, had a couple of bottles from the supermarket across the week, Norwegian brands perfectly good, sure way more than supermarket beer prices here but no more than buying the same quantity in a pub in the UK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

a social welfare system and promote a more equal distribution of wealth across society

Now, wouldn't that be worth paying a bit more for your G&T? Little Angel
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

a social welfare system and promote a more equal distribution of wealth across society

Now, wouldn't that be worth paying a bit more for your G&T? Little Angel

Seems to work when you see the results of happiness index surveys
snow report
I cannot find my original link to where i found the monthly spend but here is another one which compares Bristol with Trondheim https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Norway&country2=United+Kingdom&city1=Trondheim&city2=Bristol
snow conditions
So Norway is around 1/3 to 1/2 more expensive rather than triple.
ski holidays
@warbis66, I don't know how reliable that website is but it does illustrate that you can support any position using numbers. Trondheim is cheap if you have 2 kids in international primary school Smile . On the other hand, live on bread and milk and it's not looking so good Sad.
Norway is not cheap, but a week's skiing here doesn't have to be significantly more than a week elsewhere.
snow report
That website also shows that on average it is more expensive for both groceries and restaurants in Switzerland than it is in Norway. It will depend on what you buy but the local buying power in Norway is greater than both the UK and Switzerland. So you can probably prove almost anything from the figures on that site depending on which index you adopt!
snow report
It also shows milk as being 16kroner per litre and I've just paid 24 so I think it's either a bit out of date or we're
being ripped off in the resort. Were we locals and could just fill the boot with provisions that would have been ideal. However we all managed to fill our suitcases as it was and couldn't have managed to bring anymore. We could have written an afternoon off to get an hourly bus into town and filled our rucksacks with food from the supermarket but decided we'd rather ski so it was our choice. The payback though is we haven't done anything else, because costs are prohibitive. There is VAT on food
of I think 15% (25% on alcohol) so it's automatically more expensive here even before the rubbish exchange rate is factored in. We came here last year and two years ago and it is considerably more expensive now. It's a
shame but I can't see us coming here again.
latest report
@bambionskis-us neither Sad
latest report
dobby wrote:
@bambionskiis, interesting. We're off to åre tomorrow so we'll see what prices are like in sweden...

Have a great time.
ski holidays
Norway is almost 2 times richer than the UK.

Hence why everything is so expensive to English folks.
snow conditions
http://www.dinside.no/okonomi/hvilken-butikk-er-billigst-av-joker-og-bunnpris/60804516
snow conditions
@stanton, top tip! Don't bother making a point by posting a link in Norwegian. Nobody here will understand it. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy