Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

switch from skiing? my 14 yr old son wants to board

Poster: A snowHead
He's done about 10 ski holidays and can competently ski a red, but he thinks snowboarding looks way more cool. Before I spend loads on retraining him could I have any positive stories from someone or someones children who have switched to boarding and how quickly does it take to get competent to handle most blue runs?

Thanks in advance Boardy Peeps Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bizziegoblin, I switched late teens. Can he skateboard? A few of my mates switched at the same time. Generally the progression to skiing blues is quicker versus boarding. I would say most people spend the first week with bruised backsides when trying to learn to board, as they learn to balance and use the edges correctly. Weight distribution is less forgiving on a board versus early days of learning to ski. However understanding the edges is half the problem and having skied your son would probably pick it up quicker compared to someone who has no experience of snowsports.

If he can skate or surf it will also give a good head start.

Why not let him try a new experience?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My brother changed to boarding when he was about 15 after 10 years of skiing. Didn't do a lot the first week (but could probably manage some blues-was a while ago now so cant really remember). He had a good instructor in his second week later that season who did some gentle off piste with him. After that, he could do most things. Interestingy, went back to mostly skiing about 6 years later and now uses the board only if there is lots of powder around or expected
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I Skied for many years as a kid and in my early 20's I had a motorcycle arm which damaged my hip joint and shoulder. After that I didn't really have any winter holidays up until 2 years ago when I joined my friends on their annual trip. After a 3 days of finding my feet again and making a few mistakes I had a pain in my hip from the twisting and tuning and switched to Snowboarding, with the idea of it being much friendlier on my hip (which it is)

Since then I had done a set of dry slope lessons, a week in VT, a long weekend (no lessons) and I'm going off at the beginning of march for another week of lessons. Now by the end of my VT trip I was OK on red slopes, certainly not great but I was getting better, I'm 33 and stubborn, but I'm getting there.

Taking in to account how little fear kids have and how quick they can be to pick up balance, I reckon he'll be fine; but do get some lessons.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are other threads on this. I was an advanced skier before I switched, It took about 4 hours before I could ride down the equivalent of a blue slope without falling, and the learning curve is fun. It takes a few years longer to get good, which is maybe why most people don't bother.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Middle daughter switched to boarding at that age after a couple of years skiing pretty much half a day every other weekend and a couple of holidays, was a go anywhere skier. On switching, a couple of days into a holiday she picked it up really quick. Within 3 or 4 days she was happy doing pretty much anything she could have done on skis.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 20-02-17 13:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He's obviously a bright young man - it's definitely way cooler.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He could do both in the week.

As mentioned above, he will have the easier sport of snowboarding cracked in 3 or 4 days - so can then get back to concentrating on the more difficult sport (of skiing) for the last couple of days of the trip. Simples! Toofy Grin

And of course it's "way cooler!" wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a young competent athletic skier about a day if he's prepared to take his falls. Needs good tuition though - none of the ESF swing the shoulders around like a gibbon crap that you used to see (thankfully even the ESF seem to have competent snowboard instructors now)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bizziegoblin, Does he need a firmware update, could be the issue? Before you spend loads of time and cost on the boarding I'd suggest turning him off at the mains, waiting 30 seconds and re-booting, it should sort out the problem.

Welcome to SH by the way!

wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowboards have -50% fewer edges than skis.

Snowboarding is +50% easier than skiing.

You can become an expert in <10 weeks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I took group lessons in Canada in the late 90s, after 3 mornings I could go down a blue.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My son (then almost 10) swapped last year; he is an excellent skier (been skiing since he was 2) and was boarding reds within 2-3 days. He had a few private lessons plus his Dad is a boarder, so was out with him between lessons. He's pretty much swapped to a board now though he did some skiing at New Year as the snow was terrible.

On the other hand, my daughter was 11.5 at the time and did the same lessons, and can now board a bit but prefers skiing as again she's very good at that so disliked going back to basics! So it may depend on his attitude to being a learner again and his tolerance for falling over... It definitely helped to have his Dad around to keep up the practise too - I'm a skier and know zero about boarding so am no use to him whatsoever (plus my kids are much better skiers than me so gave up listening to me on a ski slope years ago!)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My son (11) does both. He starting skiing at 4 and then boarding from 8. If conditions are good he'll board a couple of days but at Christmas when it was all piste skiing he only did one.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bizziegoblin, It will be good to see some younger people giving boarding a go.
snow report
If he can handle being rubbish again for 3 days - then it's definitely worth it.
Some people cannot handle the frustration of going back to basics and jack it in before it clicks.
Naturally he is right about it being cooler, and the clogs are way more comfy.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@Bizziegoblin, Does he need a firmware update, could be the issue? Before you spend loads of time and cost on the boarding I'd suggest turning him off at the mains, waiting 30 seconds and re-booting, it should sort out the problem.

Welcome to SH by the way!

wink

tried that last year and it seemed ok for 12 months - it seems the same fault has re-emerged after the feb half term trip Happy
snow report
Thanks everyone

Really helpful

Happy
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@Bizziegoblin, It will be good to see some younger people giving boarding a go.

The current decline of snowboarding is just part of the natural ebb and flow of any sports popularity. Skateboarding has been on life support at least twice since I first tried it in the late 70's but it never died completely. Surfing is more popular now than it's ever been. Personally I'm happy that kids aren't snowboarding just because it's fashionable. You're either a board sports person or you're not.
snow conditions
This was me about 15 years ago - although I hadn't done 10 ski holidays, maybe 2-3. I switched to boarding because it was cool and the boots were comfy.

As others have said the learning curve is steeper but shorter - I spent 2-3 days really feeling like I was getting nowhere but it soon clicks. Once you can carve your turns you can pretty much do it all - usually takes a few weeks to sort that out though, many don't bother.

I have really enjoyed snowboarding since then but I am now at the stage where I'm realising that I don't particularly want to be a snowboarder nor a beginner skier in my 40s/50s, so I am re-learning skiing, and enjoying it. Boots are so much nicer than they were even 15 years ago.

If your son can do both from a young age, that's awesome.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy