Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet vs Hotel: what's your choice?

Poster: A snowHead
Axsman, we found a gorgeous Italian restaurant in Reims at New Year, Chez Anita, I had the most gorgeous (and large) plate of Osso Bucco. Very reasonable too, although we did only manage main courses as they were so large.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Self-catering has been our preference for some time, mainly because problems with catering for vegetarian diets. We've found this less of a problem with chalets or chalet hotels run by British tour operators, but sometimes even these can be only barely adequate. The French and Austrian hotels we've stayed in were uniformly hopeless, so we gave up on them a long time ago. Self-catering gives us the option to eat in or out, depending on our mood/energy levels in the evening, and we have a much wider range of menus than even the most flexible hotel restaurant could offer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most hotels that I have stayed in abroad, simply can't cope with food allergies or intolerances. With a notable exception Optimum, the same has applied to Chalets. So like rob@rar.org.uk, I tend to self-cater, and because I need to avoid certain foods, rarely go to restaurants unless I can scrutinise the menu in advance!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had a gluten allergy with us, told chalet company in advance. All documents even listed the allergy. I think I shall feign an allergy next year as the alternates were fabulous
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, It's good that it was listed, my main concerns have been with the comprehension of the allergy...for example..I am Lactose Intolerant, and I have been regularly asked if that means that I can't eat eggs Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny, I see how ignorance can be a factor, I thought you were allergic to T shirts with a crocodile motif, Very Happy .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

I thought you were allergic to T shirts with a crocodile motif, .

...and then I get asked if I eat meat Laughing
Then there was the airline that specially ordered and marked my longhaul flight food...no mushrooms and no dairy products...only to serve me up a mushroom lasagne rolling eyes
Really it can be such a hit and miss process, I have found it safer and healthier to DIY wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Part of the reason I have usually gone for chalet holidays over the last few years has been that I am vegetarian & at least in a chalet, you can guarantee a meal that I can eat without any fuss (as long as you warn them). The last thing I want after a hard days skiing is a plain omlette... The exception was in Italy a few years ago when we stayed in a hotel & ate out every night - loads of choice for a veggie, brilliant cooking & cheap.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Then there was the airline that specially ordered and marked my longhaul flight food...no mushrooms and no dairy products...only to serve me up a mushroom lasagne

Very good Twisted Evil shows initiative to find a dish that is really going to p*ss off the customer all in one go! Did you wonder how long it must have taken to come up with a dish that contained the exact two items you couldn't eat and were on the long haul menu Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin,
Quote:

Did you wonder how long it must have taken to come up with a dish that contained the exact two items you couldn't eat and were on the long haul menu

Actually, I spent the rest of my longhaul flight, being quite poorly as a result of eating some of my specially prepared meal Twisted Evil Symptoms seem to be worse under cabin pressure. I vowed never to trust others to prep my airline food again. The cabin staff were quite upset, because they had served the container, but of course did not see/check the contents. A learning experience Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Eat anything, me..!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chalet holidays are a slowly but surely dieing & in no way resemble the orginal concept of them!

They will be in trouble even further when the next raft of employment legislation comes in concerning a) the working time directive & b) age discrimination, not to mention when the British government finally catches up with the contravention of national minnimum wage that most of these companies do not comply with.

On top of this you can also add that the majority of your Aussie & Kiwi chalet staff are employed illegally.

It's only a matter of time before a number of operators are caught on any of the above which will result in a whole re-think of the chalet concept & an increase in the cost of your holiday.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnboy wrote:
The only pain I found staying in a hotel last week was that dinner wasn't served till 7.30pm. I ski till the last lift at 4.30pm, so it is a very hungry 2 hours to wait. Is this the norn for hotels???

Since no-one else has answered you, yes, I'd say that was pretty usual. If it was a chalet hotel, I assume that they had a single sitting. In ordinary hotels, you can go in when you fancy, obviously, but I doubt that there'd be much activity before 7.00pm. I'm not ready for dinner until 8.30pm, speaking for myself.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stretch0212, welcome to Snowheads
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowbunny hard to believe that the airline got it so spectaculary wrong Shocked

One of the party that I travelled with last week was Lactose intolerant, and I have holidayed with this chap before and he was / has always been extremely well catered for whilst staying in a Chalet. Lucky ? I don't know, but I guess being "unlucky" is simply not an option. In my experience, people are wising up to dietary requirements.
latest report
richmond, I usually find a snack after skiing helps the hunger, hence i suppose the popularity of the chalet tea. We have been known to stop for a crepe on the way home, washed down with a beer or three.
snow conditions
snowbunny, does lactose intolerant mean you're rude to people without the usual complement of 10? Little Angel
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, what grotesque self indulgence. You're not there to enjoy yourselves, you know.
snow conditions
slikedges,
Quote:

snowbunny, does lactose intolerant mean you're rude to people without the usual complement of 10?

Very funny. No it means that I am intolerant, not allergic. It means that I can cheat occasionally with chocolates or a nice pud, and wait for my blood to settle for a couple of days. I am allergic to all mushrooms, and get a toxic shock reaction, which was why the inflight food issue was serious for me.
Timberwolf, You are right, intolerances and allergies are becoming more widely understood. It ain't rocket science is it rolling eyes
snow conditions
snowbunny, what are the consequences of cheat a little? My sister has the same intolerance, and if she succumbs to the temptation of dairy products she gets a rash on her face and neck.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

snowbunny, what are the consequences of cheat a little?

Same sort of rash. Mine is very itchy and hot. For example, last night I ate a GU chocolate cheesecake pud. It was divine, and will take my body about 48 hours to settle down. If I ate 1 square of milk chocolate extra during this time, I would start to itch. The usual start point for me is the inside of the wrists. wink
latest report
snowbunny wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

snowbunny, what are the consequences of cheat a little?

Same sort of rash. Mine is very itchy and hot. For example, last night I ate a GU chocolate cheesecake pud. It was divine, and will take my body about 48 hours to settle down. If I ate 1 square of milk chocolate extra during this time, I would start to itch. The usual start point for me is the inside of the wrists. wink

Sounds very similar apart from location. Now that my sister consumes virtually no dairy lactose, on the occasions when she does the reaction is much more pronounced than it used to be. I'd hate to have that dietary restriction, so you have my sincere sympathies. Is life without cheese worth living... Wink
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

Is life without cheese worth living...

Life with goat and sheep cheese is just fine, because it's lactose free Very Happy
ski holidays
Hotels, in Austria preferrably, every time for me. I enjoy being in the company of other nationalities and attempting to converse with them in German, French etc, it's part of the holiday and why we prefer a non-English speaking country for our holiday rather than say Canada or the US.

One thing thogh, we usually book through Inghams or Crystal and the majority of their hotels in Austria are done on a Half Board basis. We would much prefer to go on a B and B basis - does anyone know which companies are the best at doing B and B in good quality hotels in Austria?
latest report
richmond,

How do you last till after 8.00pm, I'm ready for bed by 8.30!!!!!!!!!
snow report
If you want austrian B&B go privately, much cheaper I suspect? But that said neilsons seem to have a fair choice in B&B last time I looked if you want a mainstream operator...aj xx
latest report
Chalet (well flat actually) is my choice when on family holiday, can't say otherwise.
snow report
johnboy, I have a fair amount of reserve to live off!

ajhainey, yes, much cheaper.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiing Don wrote:
We would much prefer to go on a B and B basis - does anyone know which companies are the best at doing B and B in good quality hotels in Austria?

You have never been stuck for a restaurant in Austria then ?

In some Austrian resorts many of the restaurants are in hotels. So residents will have priority. Many places close by 8 o'clock, so you need to get your act together to get a table. Westendorf used to be like that.

Too much hassle for me. I much prefer half board in a decent gaff with good food. It is just one less thing to bother about.

I always thought chalet 'day off' was tiresome. Every other chalet guest is out looking for the same few tables as you.
snow report
Interesting the number of people who consider going out to a restaurant an integral part of their holiday - for me(and a few others judging by the comments) it's just an expensive faff which is one reason I love chalet board. The holiday is about skiing, and being with my friends, not eating! Self catering is fine too - most of my mates can rustle up a decent meal so we muddle along fine (better than fine in fact) if left to our own devices too.

Those of you that like to eat out on holiday - do you eat out a lot at home too? If not, what kind of things are you eating in ski resorts that you don't experience at home? Am I just picking bad restaurants perhaps Happy I tend to find resort retaurants a little limited in menu and certainly nothing spectacular, if I wanted to eat out, I'd far rather do so back home, or in another large city? aj xx
snow report
ajhainey wrote:

.... what kind of things are you eating in ski resorts that you don't experience at home? aj xx

Wonderful Tartiflette, Gorgeous Fondue, Great Pizza, Delicious Raclette . Ok There's 4 to be going on with mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Very Happy

Oh and Genepi, vin chaud, and of course, last but not least Bombardini! 'nuff said? Very Happy
latest report
ended up in chez kiki in meribel last week on the chalet night off and got a bill for 142 euros and the 2 kids only had fries....not sure I could have taken that hit for 6 nights on the trot. It was my first ever chalet experience with ski france and I kind of liked it.
snow conditions
ajhainey, eating out is an important part of a hol for me (although I've had perfectly good chalet and half board hols). I eat out once or twice a week at home, but that's not really the point, I don't think. The grub is different from what is readily available in UK, and it's all part of the fun.
latest report
AxsMan wrote:
ajhainey wrote:

.... what kind of things are you eating in ski resorts that you don't experience at home? aj xx

Wonderful Tartiflette, Gorgeous Fondue, Great Pizza, Delicious Raclette . Ok There's 4 to be going on with mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Very Happy

Oh and Genepi, vin chaud, and of course, last but not least Bombardini! 'nuff said? Very Happy
Well thas lunch covered Very Happy
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy (well starters at least! ) Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Pierrade, better frites, wonderful pizza from wood-fired ovens, tartiflette, raclette, cote de boeuf,
ollski, you should come and ski (and eat) in Serre Chevalier, no where near those prices. The bill for 7 with drinks, fondues, cote de boeuf, desserts , and coffees was only 160 euros.
snow conditions
ollski, just think yourself lucky you weren't in La Cloche in Courchevel 1850, you'd have needed a lot more than that. Not all of France is rip-off territory, there are good resorts which are dominated by the French, who by and large prefer to use apartments, so the restuarants and bars have to keep their prices at reasonable levels. It costs no more to eat in La Rosiere at 1850metres than it does in Bourg St Maurice in the valley.
ski holidays
Thirsty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy