Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen - any tips please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been a number of times in late March, very fond of it (well, was till that's where I bust my knees...) Is still often fairly busy with idiots, sadly, but you can avoid the main busy areas (like Penken, Rastkogel blues etc).
Train & ski bus will get you around easily, including to Hintertux and other valley areas/resorts in both directions. Lots to explore; more than a week's worth. Lift pass covers the lot, including the glacier. Just watch the busses (or coaches, as several are) - most to the glacier or down the valley are covered by your ski pass (inc the train) but a few aren't: not that they're too expensive if you don't want to wait.
Queues are pretty non existent when I've been. Also there are several ways to get up to many parts, not just via Penken gondola but by bus to the next area and their gondola or chair up, so you gave options.
There are better runs than Harikiri! Especially if you are an intermediate...
Snow generally will be good, Penken valley runs liable to be hardpack turning to mush over hardpack later in the day. Obviously better the higher you go.
Food is reasonably priced if you go to reasonably priced places! Pizzas, Weiner schnitzel, etc probably around E10-13 these days?
Have fun.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevinraine wrote:
@Fridge03, I can recommend Four Seasons Travel aka Tirol Taxis come highly recommended.

https://www.tirol-taxi.at/en-home

Use them regularly.

Zillertal super ski pass includes travel on the Zillertalerbahn plus all ski buses in the valley as well as most local buses inc Green Line to the glacier.
All buses and trains are well coordinated and a car in not necessary to enjoy all ski areas on the lift pass.

The snow at the end of March should not be a problem in quantity this season but as always it’s quality will depend on the temperature and time of day. Generally it could be icy in the morning at low levels because of freeze thaw conditions and the might be slushy later on. Best to get out early and finish early. Beware of the transition from good snow at altitude to the icy piste at low levels. Much depends on day time temps.

JimboS wrote:
Four seasons travel are a transfer company based in the airport. Hire car is not necessary as there is good free public transport up and down the valley, however it can be a nice to have to avoid the packed bus back from Hintertux and easier access to Zell.

We typically go there the last week of March or the first week of April (for the last 19 years) and have a combination of baking hot days as well as powder days.

There will be no queues at the end of March and the snow conditions are more than likely to be great. Prices on the hill and the village are very good value and cheap compared to France.

Thanks for the advice. Good to know regarding getting around. We do like having the "freedom" of a car (and the hotel has free parking) but I don't like the faff at the airport, leaving a deposit etc...you know...the usual hire car guff!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grizzler wrote:
Been a number of times in late March, very fond of it (well, was till that's where I bust my knees...) Is still often fairly busy with idiots, sadly, but you can avoid the main busy areas (like Penken, Rastkogel blues etc).
Train & ski bus will get you around easily, including to Hintertux and other valley areas/resorts in both directions. Lots to explore; more than a week's worth. Lift pass covers the lot, including the glacier. Just watch the busses (or coaches, as several are) - most to the glacier or down the valley are covered by your ski pass (inc the train) but a few aren't: not that they're too expensive if you don't want to wait.
Queues are pretty non existent when I've been. Also there are several ways to get up to many parts, not just via Penken gondola but by bus to the next area and their gondola or chair up, so you gave options.
There are better runs than Harikiri! Especially if you are an intermediate...
Snow generally will be good, Penken valley runs liable to be hardpack turning to mush over hardpack later in the day. Obviously better the higher you go.
Food is reasonably priced if you go to reasonably priced places! Pizzas, Weiner schnitzel, etc probably around E10-13 these days?
Have fun.

Great. Thanks!

The lift queue thing was more about the initial run up the hill. I've read online that people used to wait 30-40 mins, but then I'm led to believe it was done-up a few years ago which has pretty much solved that issue? The OH and I like to be up early doors and ski from first to last lift!

I think most (well known) areas seems to be busy with idiots nowadays do they not?
Re:food, sounds spot on. Just a good pizza or burger somewhere that doesn't cost 30 euros each!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Fridge03, I don't ever recall real queues at the end of March at the Penken gondola (bar maybe day 1 when they were all rushing up for ski school, and even then not bad) and, as you said, it's since been upgraded. Was a breeze 2 years ago.
As I said earlier, depending on where you're staying, most of the getting around is easy via the little town ski busses (3 routes at least, + the glacier one) and there are many ways up onto different parts of an interlinked series of peaks and valleys - so it's often just as easy to hop on a bus to, say, Horberg or the Rastkogel car and get up from there than bother with getting up to and through the Penken area which, IMHO, is not the best.
There's another recent Mayrhofen thread somewhere, worth reading.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy