Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In praise of smallness

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, I can indeed see the attractions of huge resorts and the common obsession of covering distance - but with the high pressure hanging over Europe we have just had a few days of hitting the small resorts in the Valais - today, Nax was absolutely wonderful - tiny station, slow chairs fine in the sun rather than the horizontal snow of last weekend, long, long pistes with no one on them, no queues for anything, fab snow condition and endless rolling forest off piste. And free parking. Oh and a huge avalanche to the south of Combes, worth paying attention to the avi warnings. But a hugely rewarding day. Small can be very very good.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-02-17 21:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agreed! Always been our philosophy! Some great Aosta Valley skiing at Torgnon, Chamois and Weissmatten in January this year (as well as at the more mainstram Cervinia, Courmayeur and Pila).

At Chamois, conditions were perfect groomers, the sky was blue....and we saw 5 other skiers all day Very Happy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a vision of one year when the kids are a bit older of doing a weeks "touring" of smallness.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup, agree as well. Always a fan of Chamrousse above Grenoble. Bar Argentiere the highest density of seriously good hard core skiers I have ever seen.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dorset Mogul, you are out of date. Sadly to my eyes GMs is now full of idiots who think fat skis on piste is cool... Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name. Mmm, you maybe have me slightly rumbled peut etre as it is probably 10 years since my last visit but being a mogul fanatic Grand Montets if that is where you mean by GM was always a top spot for seeing great skiers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never been disappointed by my annual trip to ski a series of small resorts in the Pyrenees Orientales in one week, even in full blown French school holidays the queues and crowds are not a problem. And any hint of bad weather on the weather forecast, the day trippers (that make up the bulk of clientele) stay away, and you can easily get fresh snow with no queues. Case in point was on Tuesday- snowed overnight Monday, forecast to be bad weather but instead was pretty sunny in Espace cAmbe d'Aze with cloud below in the surrounding valleys (making for impressive views!) Result- 20 cm fresh powder, sun and no queues in Feb half term!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Met a couple of retired Canadian guys about 10 years ago at Weardale. They were making a long trip going round small ski areas fortunately there was snow in the UK while they were there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris_n wrote:
Met a couple of retired Canadian guys about 10 years ago at Weardale. They were making a long trip going round small ski areas fortunately there was snow in the UK while they were there.

MMmmm. There is small, and there is tiny...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

There is small, and there is tiny...

and there is heroically optimistic!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
one great and rarely mentioned small French resort is Areches-Beaufort. Great off piste, it seems, though I wouldn't know about that. Bloody cold place though - keeps it snow v well as a consequence. Possible to park skis outside a restaurant and feel sheepish that yours are the only non-touring versions!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy