Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire Type for Children

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It appears that for adults skis can vary quite massively between beginner/expert, slalom/giant slalom/all mountain etc. However for children are the groups not as diferentiated? My enthusiastic 7 year old, on his 3rd week of ever skiing, and having achieved the flocon last year was given some Volkl Racetiger SL junior skis to ski on this week in preparation for the premier etoile....Having said that, apart from a brief wobble first day he is progressing with confidence, hasn't fallen often, got his premier etoile in the middle of the week and is now happily trying out red runs without being out of control!

So in a way it is good that he has skis that probably have good edges, hence the progression. Am a bit confused with the marketing though. Do young children at his level often get given junior race skis? Is the description of the ski just marketing smoke and mirrors? Or was it probably because that's all the shop had left at half-term and luckily it worked out for him?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are race skis and race branded skis. Anything shorter than 130 is likely to just be a kids ski. All skis can have good edges.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dr. Will, have a look at Völkl's site https://www.voelkl.com/en/skis/junior-alpine/junior-alpine/overview.html

All the Junior alpine skis have the same geometries, just different colours (and they go up to a 160). They only "look" like race skis.

The FIS legal ones however, are a little different. https://www.voelkl.com/skis/race/fis-race-junior/rt-speedwall-gs-r-jr.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The volkl junior skis come in two types, as under a new name says - the alpine ones, and the junior FIS which start at a 124. You've most likely got the alpine ones which are a kids ski rather than a race ski (the difference is that the race one is actually a 131 not a 130). Atomic kids race skis start at around 115cm, and there's plenty of others (Fischer, dynastar) at the 125 size range.

Some ski shops rent the full spectrum of kids skis, e.g ski clinic in cluses. However, you'd likely know if you were renting full in kids race skis as the price would be somewhat higher. It's a bit niche at the shorter lengths!

My son was fine on kids skis up to gold etoile, my daughter is just working for hers now and is still on kids skis, even tho we have some 115cm atomics that she could use, at 20kg she's going to struggle to bend them much.

The biggest problem we find is that if you have small fast kids, getting the boot/binding combo right can be tricky at the low DIN levels. My son has adult boot soles, but required a binding DIN of 2.5 which is generally a junior binding level.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for your advice, it is a lot clearer now. The ski that my son hired were (1 or 2 season old according to the graphics) 110cm junior Racetiger SL that despite being branded SL are rated particularly good in long turns and are clearly not FIS! It also clears up in my mind why when I was learning as a child there was suddenly a point where my skis became a lot less forgiving when I hired an adult version of the Dynamic VR 27 after skiing for years on the kids version!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dr. Will, hahah indeed!!!

I'm pretty sure they're just branded like that so the littler kids can keep up with their older ski club siblings.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy