Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on ski tuning

Poster: A snowHead
First post - here goes. I've (finally) bought new skis, having relied on rentals for years since moving to the UK from Canada. Back in the day (a LONG time ago) I used to tune my own skis, but I don't have the kit anymore. The skis are straight from the factory: the bases are a bit dry, and the edges are not as sharp as I'd like. Next ski trip is 10 days away. Option 1 is try to find somewhere in London that can turn around skis in that time; option 2 is to try them as is, and see how they go; option 3 is to try to order a file guide and some wax off amazon prime and hope ski tuning practices haven't changed much in the past 15 years! Any advice gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Kitty,

In this case The Piste Office is your friend snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KittyWillis wrote:
The skis are straight from the factory: the bases are a bit dry, and the edges are not as sharp as I'd like.

That sounds surprising to me, straight from the factory and edges not sharp ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, possibly not straight from the factory. They were delivered from France. It may be that I have high sharpness expectations (I'm an ex-racer); they aren't completely dull, but fingernail test not yielding much.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much Marc - I'll check out the link.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
KittyWillis wrote:
Well, possibly not straight from the factory. They were delivered from France. It may be that I have high sharpness expectations (I'm an ex-racer); they aren't completely dull, but fingernail test not yielding much.

An ex-racer that doesn't know about basic ski-prep? Interesting...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whenever I've bought new kit I've just used it out of the box for a week before doing a basic sharpen and waxing.

However, it sounds like you aren't happy with the out of the box condition and will be doing your own servicing anyway. So I would get the basic kit ordered and get them how you want them. 10 days to turn that around is fine although I am guessing you don't have a bench and vices so you will have to make do with what you have. I started with beer crates!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lilledonmarco - I suspect things may have changed significantly since my very long ago racing days, but maybe not.

@Layne - I've now managed to track down someone with a file guide, and maybe I can re-purpose my travel iron without setting off the fire alarms in my flat! It looks like I can order the rest. Now for some online tutorial watching....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Lots of racers ex or otherwise don't do their own prep and know little about it. Not really interesting...

@kittywillis

Waxing is easy. Set the iron at its lowest heat that allows you to melt the wax but not make it smoke. Start at the lowest heat and see how it goes, Different waxes I. E harder or softer need more or less heat. Watch a few videos to get all the details of course. For doing the edges on new skis you will only need a medium or fine diamond file so make sure that's what you have tracked down and make sure the guide has the same angle as your skis currently do else you will not improve it, again a few videos will give you more detail
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
geeo wrote:
Quote:

Lots of racers ex or otherwise don't do their own prep and know little about it. Not really interesting...

Actually, its very unusual - as long as we are talking about skiing on snow. To be an ex-racer, that usually means that they have been skiing in a club since they were kids. In my sons club, all kids from around 12 are responsible for waxing, and general maintenence of their own skis.

But, whatever.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
Whenever I've bought new kit I've just used it out of the box for a week before doing a basic sharpen and waxing

Yeah I used my K2s straight from delivery and they put up with a week in Austria without much trouble. Pretty good considering that the first half of the week was mostly hardpack artificial stuff. Could probably have done with a bit of wax on them in an ideal world, but didn't cause a big issue by not (if that makes sense).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where are you going for your ski trip? Why not try them as is and get them done in the resort if you think they need it. Depending where you are going it can be quite reasonable getting them done in the resort Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lilledonmarco wrote:
geeo wrote:
Quote:

Actually, its very unusual - as long as we are talking about skiing on snow. To be an ex-racer, that usually means that they have been skiing in a club since they were kids. In my sons club, all kids from around 12 are responsible for waxing, and general maintenence of their own skis.

But, whatever.

The OP said Back in the day (a LONG time ago) I used to tune my own skis - presumably when she was a racer. I don't see anywhere she says she knows nothing about ski-prep.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Johnor, off to Les Menuires, which I haven't been to before.

I seem to have (unintentionally) started some debate about knowledge of ski tuning amongst racers. Yes, @Lilledonmarco, we too were responsible for tuning our own skis from about 11 onwards. I have the scars on my knuckles to prove it. My parents wouldn't let us use the blow torch for petex-ing (sp?), but that was about it. But it has been a very long time since I was 11, and I was slightly wary of ruining my shiny new skis with my out-dated knowledge!

Thanks all, for the helpful suggestions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KittyWillis, Ski tuning hasn't changed, anything you used to do is still valid.
snow report
@KittyWillis, don't worry about setting off a debate. Every thread topic on snowheads is at threat of descending into a debate on something else...and it's only a matter of time before it ends up in an argument about helmets or backpacks Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-02-17 18:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@KittyWillis, When I said I was surprised that skis had arrived brand new with edges not sharp, I genuinely was, nothing more than that. As others have said above I would normally expect to use new "ordinary" skis as they are, except for waxing of course. Maybe I have just been lucky. Smile
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@KittyWillis, don't worry about setting of a debate. Every thread topic on snowheads is at threat if descending into a debate on something else...and it's only a matter of one before it ends up in an argument about helmets or backpacks Very Happy

Ski tuning - luxury. We used to run t'backend of a blunt teaspoon over our edges once a millenium. And we were grateful.

More seriously get what you need from the piste office. Jon will advise on what's right for you and your pocket.
ski holidays
Teaspoon? You were lucky....

2 snakes of parafin wax for me (TOKO silver covered in pocket fluff for race days), edges never got a look in!

Piste Office kit is great, I treat my fat skis like my 203mm Dynastar Course Coupe Du Monde SL (now proudly on the bottom of my killer sledge).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 17-02-17 18:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I thought it was quite normal for new skiis straight from manufacturer to be not quite prepared, but the two new skiis I have bought from ski shops were waxed & edges checked by the ski shop before picking them up.
snow report
Blooming auto correct and lack of sleep...

Tomorrow should read Toko!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy