Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Setup High Hopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, first post. I'll just quickly summarize my snow life. I've snowboarded for 10 years in all areas, park, carving and ripping anywhere. I'm 16, 125lbs, 5'10" boot size 28.5.For the last year I've worked at a resort instructing snowboarding and other areas around. I just recently picked up skis (I get free rentals) last weekend on my breaks and accumulated around 2 hours and it's feeling pretty good. I've got sliding turns on pretty steep terrain fairly quickly in that time and I'm really hoping to commit to skiing next season. I'll buy gear at the end of the season while I can get it cheap.

The main question I've been questioning guys around the park and other people I work with what a good budgeted setup for a quickly progressing beginner and wanting to be park rat.

The main suggestions have been really premium and overly expensive (16 and saving for a car, instructing isn't very profitable). I've been looking at the k2 press for skis and bindings being the marker griffons, they seem decent quality and pretty worth it for the money.

Just want some suggestions and thoughts on what you guys like and how I should distribute my money. Thanks for all the help in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep using the rental gear. Then spend whatever money you have on properly fitted boots from a professional. Short cutting this one is not really possible. If necessary, get a worse car. Keep using the free rentals until you can afford skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^That.
Keep in mind that buying boots at the end of the season might be cheap, but you could end up in the wrong boots as you'll tend to get what the shop has left rather than what is best for your feet..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can afford it, I'm just not feeling buying $600 boots anytime soon. I'd like to keep it to less than $400, though I know boots are something you can't cheap on.
What does anyone think about the press or the griffons though?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Griffons are perfectly fine for that purpose.

At your age, current ability, and desire to be a park rat, the exact model of park skis you buy is neither here nor there. I agree with others to rent skis (especially for free) but buy boots. If you must buy skis now buy cheap, probably second hand, because if you actually progress and switch to skiing full time you'll undoubtedly find out what you actually want out of a ski and the chances of it being what you buy now are slim to none.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy