Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt - Worth the fuss & Cost?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 11-10-21 21:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt struck me as the resort you'd go to on your final days/weeks of skiing, i.e. you were still just about agile enough to ski from hotel breakfast to restaurant lunch to hotel dinner, and still just about flush enough to pay the bill.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Levi215 wrote:
For skiing alone go to Val D and put up with the idiots.

There are only idiots if you choose to go where the idiots go.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JohnMo wrote:
Andrew911 wrote:
Our trip this April to Tignes will be our first ski trip for six years. We have a had a visit to the MK snozone around Christmas to find our ski legs & we were fine. My wife is a junior intermediate - ok on blues & has been on one red. Would Zermatt be ok for blues & gentle reds for my wife? I guess we shall also find out in April how she takes to skiing again & hopefully she will get on some reds before the end of the week.

While I love Zermatt and Cervinia and spend a lot of time out there, it is not the most obvious place to take someone who mainly wants blues. On the Swiss side there are only really two blue sections: Gornegrat/Gigthittli down to Riffelberg; and Blauherd down to Sunnegga (and even that has a chicken run to take you round the steep part). Some of the reds are not tremendously difficult but they are very definitely reds and not just tricky blues. I think you need to be OK on reds to enjoy Zermatt. Cervinia is easier - but if you are on the Swiss side getting over there is a little tricky for someone who is not comfortable on reds.

Nonsense. The whole Matterhorn segment is ideal for blue run skiers, pretty much all the pistes are easy with good pitch and always excellent snow. The Schwarzsee segment is more challenging but you have a lot of runs and space to enjoy around the Matterhorn that any competent blue run skier could enjoy, in spectaculr surroundings. Its the only area in Zermatt where I think the runs are over-classified, almost all the reds in that area should properly be classified as blues (and several reviews including where to ski and snowboard agree).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dogwatch wrote:
Levi215 wrote:
For skiing alone go to Val D and put up with the idiots.

There are only idiots if you choose to go where the idiots go.

Hence my point to Val D'Isere they go....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
5pike wrote:
is it just me that thinks it is totally overrated?!
There are so many Zermatt fans that I don't think you can say this is true as a general rule. For a sizeable class of skiers, Zermatt is clearly heaven. But you seem to have reacted the way I did: "what's the big deal?". It makes me wary of relying on the reputation of other "top" resorts, as I seem to be looking for something different than those who love Zermatt.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman wrote:
Every skier has to go to Zermatt once in their life.

Agreed. Might be better to avoid the Zermatterhof, though, if on tight budget.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LOVE Zermatt ! Been several times including a summer walking trip. The train ride is nice but I find that driving gives the trip a broader sense of freedom - so you can pootle through Montreaux and stop for lunch on the way etc, and see a bit more than from the train. Stop off at Lavey Les Bains for an open-air jacuzzi swim. Zermatt itself is very chocolate box and cute, the runs are great (all levels) and of course they have the spectacular Matterhorn. The food is outstanding, especially Le Gitan, and the resort is well served with high quality mountain restaurants.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy