Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Little tricks that someone told you...

Poster: A snowHead
I can only comment on my only experiences, but there are often many ways to skin a cat. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@holidayloverxx, Have neither of us shouted "Early pressure!" yet ?! 😄

Great thread btw, better than the usual rubbish on here 😉
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle wrote:
...engage little toe edge early (I'd never given my little toes much thought before, and therefore mis-timed almost all transitions, tending either to sweep the tails of my skis round or to park-and-ride)... Very Happy

Reading that, I couldn't get my head around it; Then this morning at ChillFactore actually skiing, it made perfect sense. snowHead

Best bit of snowHead advice I've heard came from Pigeondave... "Just remove brain, insert cabbage, throw yourself down mountain!"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tarquin wrote:
@holidayloverxx, Have neither of us shouted "Early pressure!" yet ?! 😄

Great thread btw, better than the usual rubbish on here 😉

We haven't! I meant to. .and give you the credit...but i forgot
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimottaret, it's all about maximising potential

@rob@rar, I don't mind slush at all, easy flattering carves.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No one ever told me this but I wish they had.
If all the instructors are wearing long macs, go back home.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
don't worry what your (skis are) about to ski over Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our instructor gave us a tip which helped us "up in the fall line .down in the turn " Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Find a song that matches your rhythm and sing it as you do a sequence of turns, forcing yourself to turn on the beat.
Different songs for short turns and long turns of course.

I find myself happily singing "This girl is on fire" on long turns.
Wish it had been a guy that gave me this tip and maybe had a more manly song recommendation Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ray Zorro, Ace of Spades....down a mogul field....usually on my ar$e.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro wrote:
Find a song that matches your rhythm and sing it as you do a sequence of turns, forcing yourself to turn on the beat.

Wish it had been a guy that gave me this tip and maybe had a more manly song recommendation Embarassed Embarassed

The Birdy Song works for me, and the required arm movements help to coordinate my pole plants.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought all skiers had 'Popcorn' playing in their heads on a permanent loop.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smoke on the water, is good.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@biddpyat,
I was thinking of Paradise City but you would need an empty piste Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@king key, I've skinned a lot of deer, a few hares and a lot of rabbits, and they all seem to require the same approach. What's different about cats ?
snow report
I learned a looooong time ago and on 210s. My breakthrough came when I was told to reach forward, plant the pole and stand up placing your chest directly above the pole, the skis turned with no effort and I felt as if I was on rails. This was accompanied by shouts of " hoopla ". To this day I still say the magic word when frightened or skiing badly.
snow report
deerman wrote:
@king key, I've skinned a lot of deer, a few hares and a lot of rabbits, and they all seem to require the same approach. What's different about cats ?
When you make your first incision around the sphincter you'll find the anal tract can't be puilled quite as far out and it's harder to tie a knot.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
deerman wrote:
When you make your first incision around the sphincter you'll find the anal tract can't be puilled quite as far out and it's harder to tie a knot.

Now there's a little tip I wasn't expecting in this thread.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
deerman wrote:

Now that is a niche tip.
snow conditions
When first learning to parallel my instructor told me to pretend my big toe was crushing a grape at the start of each turn. By the end of the slope I would have a full boot of wine! Worked wonders!
ski holidays
Chamcham wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
deerman wrote:

I thought everyone knew that.

Razz
snow conditions
king key wrote:
Chamcham wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
deerman wrote:

I thought everyone knew that.

Razz

Well that came as quite a surprise when reading this thread from the bottom up (if you'll forgive the expression)
snow conditions
Most lessons have really left me scratching my head; do "S" shapes not "Z"'s (but not how?), bend like a banana, line up your toe/knee/shoulder, initiate a turn with your big toe, separate your waist, push your shins into the front of your boots, stay in the athletic stance, etc

I was too busy thinking about what shape or position my body parts were in to ski properly, so I just fell back into my old ways.

I have progressed to reds and the occasional black run by copying others, but even on easy blues I find that I still get thigh burn, that would get worse each day... until this trip.

A friend told me just to stay balanced on my midfoot, not the heel or the toe... whatever I'm doing, and suddenly, whilst just concentrating on keeping my foot balanced in the middle, without thinking about the rest of it, I was automatically doing S's, bending like a banana, lining up my body correctly, and gliding down the whole run without getting any thigh burn. And it was better each day.

I just wish someone had just told me that one obvious thing from the start. Maybe they did, but I've only just got it anyway. Embarassed
snow report
@Sack the Juggler,

I think you highlight why instructors need to be very fluent in the students language - they need to be able to explain the same thing in multiple ways in order to find one that lands
snow conditions
@Sack the Juggler,

Quote:

whilst just concentrating on keeping my foot balanced in the middle, without thinking about the rest of it, I was automatically doing S's, bending like a banana, lining up my body correctly, and gliding down the whole run without getting any thigh burn. And it was better each day.

I believe this device and the youtube video's provide some great advice...

'
http://youtube.com/v/_x9vW1z3JAw '
snow report
I'm pretty much completely self taught, so first piece was in the snow drome, one of the lift guys/instructors told me to stop stepping into my turns. No solution, but I went and worked it out and it took a long time to fix...

Second piece was to try and fix my back seated-ness. Shins against the front, bit of flex in the boot, and toes up - 'try and push your toe through the top of your boot..'

And from a Swedish friend... Laughing

"Soft knees and speed" rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Sack the Juggler, the first lesson on a 4 week course with Mark Jones and his guys at ICESI in Val D’isere, we spent purely on balance...just as you say...even weight on feet fore and aft- for me..just feeling all the sole of my feet against sole of boot works a treat. Very good in powder.
Another good one for powder and fresh snow...stand on uphill ski towards end of turn- which has the effect, for me, of ensuring even pressure between the two skis.
snow conditions
@Sack the Juggler, the first lesson on a 4 week course with Mark Jones and his guys at ICESI in Val D’isere, we spent purely on balance...just as you say...even weight on feet fore and aft- for me..just feeling all the sole of my feet against sole of boot works a treat. Very good in powder.
Another good one for powder and fresh snow...stand on uphill ski towards end of turn- which has the effect, for me, of ensuring even pressure between the two skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Ray Zorro wrote:

The Birdy Song works for me, and the required arm movements help to coordinate my pole plants.

Instructor last year in La Plagne suggested I exaggerate up and down through turns - the Birdy song and the arm movement worked a little too well for me, instructor went from finding it hilarious to shouting 'you look stupid' down the hill... worked though!! Laughing
snow report
A chance conversation with a nice lady at OktoberTest led to my discovery that ski trousers should be entirely on the outside of the boot.

6 weeks on snow and I've always wondered why the inner lining was so poorly designed with that stupid popper that always dug into my leg in some way rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy