Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self-catering - share your experiences please!

Poster: A snowHead
Life is too short to boil potatoes for 13 people at altitude on two little rings. Cleaning an apartment without cleaning products was "fun" and another drain of time and money.

If you do self catered, make sure the kitchen is up to it, and pick oven/fried/simmered stuff.

I've done catered chalets with a group for the last few years and found it tasty, time saving and most importantly, great value. No problems with catering to special requests or meal timings either.

As for bringing food from the UK, remember that there are limits on meat and dairy products you can bring into Switzerland without declaring them and paying duty. After Brexit, it will be interesting to see if there will be similar restrictions bringing food into the EU.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ibexag, why would there be no cleaning products? The clue us in the self part of self catering.... buy some! I leave basics and guests buy anything else they want. If they are doing a proper end of let clean i provide everything
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, there was nothing at all one place we stayed (the same one which had two rings and a mini oven for 7 bedrooms - it was a complete joke).

It's just another cost that people don't factor in, and annoying to buy bottles of oven cleaner, scourers etc at a premium in a resort mini market to use 10% of it. Nobody fancied sticking in their checked luggage in case it leaked.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We always stay self catering but we don't cook anything.We prefer to eat out.

Catered chalets don't appeal to me at all.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ibexag wrote:
@holidayloverxx, there was nothing at all one place we stayed (the same one which had two rings and a mini oven for 7 bedrooms - it was a complete joke).

It's just another cost that people don't factor in, and annoying to buy bottles of oven cleaner, scourers etc at a premium in a resort mini market to use 10% of it. Nobody fancied sticking in their checked luggage in case it leaked.

We just seal some cleaning products in a plastic bag and chuck them in a ski bag. Never been a problem.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, +1. I used to put dishwasher tablets in my suitcase if we flew to ski apartments. Nearly all of them have one, even if they don't have an oven. So one per day and a few extra. They're great for loo cleaning as well as washing the dishes. Just chuck one down the loo and leave for a while. A dishcloth, teatowel and scourer sponge doesn't take up too much room. I provide cleaning stuff, but have stayed in plenty of places that didn't.
The apartments at Oxalys in VT are often missing a few things by the end of the season, but you just ask reception if something is missing, or find another snowHead apartment with two of everything.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@James the Last, a kitchen knife is not a problem if it is safely wrapped and in your hold bag. It isnt' classed as an offensive weapon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another big supporter of s/c here particularly if you drive. We take a big chill box with food for about x5 evening meals, chilli con carne, chicken in a sauce etc. Also essential is a mixed case of decent vino so you don't have to drink the local paint stripper. Saying that next trip for various reasons is in a hotel!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag,

In my case, Self Catering was the most pragmatic way of taking 3 kids skiing to a decent French resort...both from a cost perspective, as well as a practical one (feeding the kids what they wanted to eat, when they wanted it).

Same here, FWIW we have just returned from Bad Hofgastein 2 families/10 persons in total we rented a fabulous 4 bed, 2 en-suite, large lounge/dining kitchen area which was fully fitted.

Our wives prepare meals which we take frozen such as bolognaise, Lancashire hotpot, curry, the guys sort out the beer & nice wines & we drive...cheapest way but more importantly we & the kids love the freedom, the proper food.

Yet again I appreciate it's horses for courses, whatever suits the individual, just go & ski. Toofy Grin Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dorset Mogul wrote:
Also essential is a mixed case of decent vino so you don't have to drink the local paint stripper. Saying that next trip for various reasons is in a hotel!

I'm another fan of self-catering but from where we live flying is more practical than driving. Even so I couldn't imagine taking wine from UK to the continent to drink.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@T Bar, nor can I. Taking wine to France is like taking coals to Newcastle. Chalet wine can be a bit dodgy sometimes. 10l vin en vracs from the local wholesaler is not usually of the finest quality, but decent stuff can be bought there.
@michaelbury17, do you ever prepare meals yourself and let the wives sort the beer and wine wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We supply hand wash, washing up liquid, dishwasher tabs, oven cleaner, surface cleaner, polish and floor cleaner as otherwise the disinclined just leave the place a midden.

And the cleaning crew need all that anyway...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells,
I'll always defer to Mrs Roll on the wine: but if you can find me a good lady to sort out the beer, then she's a keeper.

A spare, granted, but a keeper none the less. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, +1.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We also cook 4 or 5 one pot meals at home, freeze and bring with us. We drive with a night stop and it always stays frozen in a cold box. Then we'll do something like takeaway pizza and one meal out. I find it much more relaxing than a eg a catered chalet holiday where waiting for dinner and eating it takes up the whole evening. We like to eat early so it gives us much more freedom to do what we want in the evening.
snow conditions
zikomo,

Wow! A minimum of 25 Sq. metres per person Shocked
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, no the girls tend to do the evening meals, we tidy up of course Very Happy Very Happy

However, we cater for breakfast, the kids do the croissant run & I can rustle up porridge & poached eggs with decent coffee - the only way to start the day IMO Skullie Smile
latest report
We've stayed at an Aparthotel for the last 3 seasons - pretty good accommodation with a kitchen that had 4 hobs, microwave, kettle and toaster (but no oven). Best of all though it had a wellness centre with pool, steam bath, sauna, jacuzzi, salt cave and fitness room. We brought out lots of Indian spices and pickles and cooked a good curry one evening as the nearest takeaway was the best part of an hour's drive away. I did feel a bit guilty about the turmeric stains.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy