Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hearing sad news of a big avalanche at Tignes with four killed. Sounds awful. I'm not sure if they're still searching
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.tignesnet.com/news/four-dead-in-tignes-avalanche-tignes-region-705798

Up to nine caught apparently. Grim.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes just saw same. Hope the toll doesn't rise.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Awful news. Somehow even more shocking when it was so close to the piste.... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
its pretty huge Sad
https://tignes.roundshot.com/lac/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BBC report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38954628
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
melandnick wrote:
its pretty huge Sad
https://tignes.roundshot.com/lac/

10:35 and 10:40 show the before & after clearly (though thankfully from a distance)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Before and after from those timings.

Captain S
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BBC reports suggests that the fatalities are from a different group of skiers to those that allegedly set the avalanche off

Not much hope for the missing five
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's the Lavachet wall and my little knowledge is that often slides there, (I've seen the debris from previous slides) my daughter lived just below it for two seasons and took a couple of pics of incidents / rescues in the past, but as she just said to me, never seen anything that massive.

Maybe a Tignes local can answer but why the hell is not controlled because it is so easy to access and is so prime for wannabe FreeRiders etc - and anything that steep at the moment as many of us know with the dodgy snowpack is asking for trouble.

Really bad incident, hopefully will serve as a big wake-up call.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, As I wrote on one of the other threads, the point that this avalanche started is not that easy to access, navigation wise. It is more usual to come round from the north east traversing round where you would meet the slide half way down. I don't know how far they were down and how far it migrated upwards. The road and village are protected by earthworks which have in this case acted as a terrain trap.

The avalanche risk today was 3 - here is the detail:

Le regel nocturne sera limité par la douceur, l'effet de foehn et les nuages. Puis en journée, à la faveur du soleil, des coulées ou avalanches de fond naturelles, de neige plus ou moins humide ou de plaque, peuvent encore se produire, parfois moyennes. Une surcharge (skieurs, raquettistes...) peut favoriser leur déclenchement ou leur écoulement.
Le vent de foehn de SE qui souffle en fortes rafales depuis deux jours, surtout sur la chaîne frontalière et sous le vent des hautes crêtes et cols, a pu former quelques plaques avec la neige récente restée légère. Ce vent un peu plus fort la nuit prochaine, peut s'étendre dans d'autres secteurs et former encore quelques plaques. Elles restent plus instables dans les pentes peu ensoleillées (notamment NE à NW), surtout au-dessus de 1500 m où la sous-couche est peu évoluée et plus ou moins légère. Un seul skieur peut suffire à les déclencher.
Un ou plusieurs skieurs peuvent encore déclencher une avalanche parfois grosse, en pentes sous le vent (accumulations) , ou bien emportant plusieurs plaques superposées.

It is a steep north west facing slope.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Local police now reporting (per BBC) that the 5 people missing may not have met up with the group as planned and therefore could be OK
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's a parallel discussion on this here so maybe best to keep all comments to one thread.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy