Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breaking news on BBC , avalanche Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
I keep looking at the Facebook page for the resort we're off to shortly. The comments are always full of sarcastic complaints whenever patrol shut an area because of avi risk. Maybe tragic events like this show why.

Not saying that this group did anything wrong but simply that in other cases closures and warnings are usually in place for a reason.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bar shaker, The scale of the people shows just how big that hollow is. Makes the webcam shot seem very deceiving.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin wrote:
achilles wrote:
Dr John wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Guide + 8 apparently, latest reports saying triggered by group above.

Why should they be?
It's fair to say that when we were there in 2013 (I think) when the big avalanche happened under the Tovierre,

Is this the same slope/area?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Terrible news, mother nature should always be respected.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
Broadly, yes. It's on the same face, although not directly the same aspect.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
EDIT: Removed link to inaccurate news article...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 14-02-17 14:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, @rob@rar, Just in (together with Tigski) its the same mountain as the 2013 ish but below a different point. The 2013 incident was on Paquerettes much closer to the top of the Tov. From looking I can't add to the debate without conjecture so I won't. Clearly I cant call any reliable sources yet as they will be in that line looking for their mate.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting tweet from Crystal this morning. https://mobile.twitter.com/tignes_ski?lang=en-gb
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Know this slope very well and the big dip at the bottom is there for a reason:-( to protect the hamlet of Lavachet when this slope slides. There are aspects of this slope that personally I'd never ski.. but I don't want to make judgement. Its very sad and I can only imagine how hard it must be for the team digging and searching and to the families of the people involved Sad RIP
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Horrible and pretty horrible for the probeline knowing they are really only looking for bodies by now.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
terrible news!

That face slides a lot, like others have said I wouldn't ski a lot of that area, anyone know what the avi risk was set at today?

Feel for family, friends and people involved with it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sparkzter wrote:
anyone know what the avi risk was set at today?
Meteo France Avalanche Bulletin issued yesterday for the Haute Tarentaise.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sparkzter, It was 3/5 - the more concerning is the actual base we have this year after that 8 week period of no snow. I would have been less surprised if I heard this was just a group of people on their own, being with a guide leaves me with quite a few questions. But I'll try and shut my mouth for the moment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bar shaker, that is one truly scary picture, almost the whole face gone and ending in a terrain trap Sad

Fingers crossed no more lives lost.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Broadly, yes. It's on the same face, although not directly the same aspect.

not the same slope/face.
snow conditions
Very sad news.......avoiding comment in respect for those involved.
ski holidays
In Val this week. We didn't even hear about this until now (in a bar). The Avi risk has has been 3/5 since Saturday.
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, would you differentiate between Lavachet and Toviere slopes as being on a different face?

Sorry to hear of the news, horrible for all concerned with the incident and the aftermath Sad
latest report
BBC is reporting the other 5 victims have been located and are being extracted.
snow report
BBC have changed the article -

"Some reports say there were nine in the group, including a guide, and that the other five remain missing, trapped in the snow.
However, local police have told the BBC that the other five may have failed to show up for the session."
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@admin, @achilles, to clarify, I was asking if SCGB were caught up in the slide, not asking of they triggered it. The members I ski with are extremely safety conscious and would not do anything reckless, either with their own safety or others.

Understood. Hope all are well.
snow conditions
The number of people waiting at the top doesn't look like 9 I must say. More like 4 or 5.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/oeRZNHDY9Nc
snow conditions
The pisteurs or offpisters will get slaughtered (or a good old coverup).

Someone messed up.

Fresh snow, followed by warming, and so close to the resort...
ski holidays
Alex A wrote:
The number of people waiting at the top doesn't look like 9 I must say. More like 4 or 5.

I'll admit I can't see anything on the Web Cam screen shots that I could 100% say were the skiers/victims. Resolution /pixelation means I could see blobs as skier's, rock outcrops, or vegetation. Am I looking at wrong photos?
latest report
Quote:

The pisteurs will get slaughtered (or a good old coverup).

Thank you for demonstrating that you know nothing about the resort or about how French ski resorts are run. It was in an off piste area. It did not impinge on a piste or a road (thanks to earthworks that are many years old). Therefore, it is nothing to do with the pisteurs.

And on a personal note, I don't know if I have lost a mate today so please knock it off.
snow report
@chocksaway, Sad
snow report
Tomahawk Tone wrote:
Alex A wrote:

I'll admit I can't see anything on the Web Cam screen shots that I could 100% say were the skiers/victims. Resolution /pixelation means I could see blobs as skier's, rock outcrops, or vegetation. Am I looking at wrong photos?

I wish I knew how to post a Gif file as it looks pretty clear when you toggle between 1030 and 1040 and you see what appears like people there and then you click and they are gone.. its not rocks. It clearly look like a group who then went in to ski the slope and it's gone all the way top to bottom. But that would suggest that they either skied it at the same time or the last person down set it off and then it took them all out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at the cams, slide happened just after 10:30, and bar 1 person searching the area alone for about 10mins, no help started to arrive until 11:40, and no meaningful numbers / organisation started building until 12:20.

Now this could be just the webcam angle and a lot more could be going on, but id like to think given the proximity to the resort that help in numbers would arrive sooner - 2 hours is a long time Sad Sad

Heart really does go out to all involved, the rescuers included who will of course be feeling the effect of this too Sad
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

Someone messed up.

Thoughtless speculation of the wankest order..... no surprise their then
snow report
@PaulC1984, Help was there a lot sooner, they are all hidden behind the berm in the earlier photos I think. The first pisteurs would be there in 5 -6 mins (they live at the top of the mountain). Local reports are saying that the teams were working in two shifts as it is such hard work. They were having to probe 6m, that's about 3m more than your average probe. When a shout like this goes out the pisteurs call for all the instuctors over the radio and as word spreads local also turn out. But you also have to be careful as 'willing but unqualified' can make life a lot more difficult.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

Someone messed up.

I'd imagine the dip at the bottom would mean there was no danger to the piste below so there would be no reason to blast it. Is see there are fences to the right of the area and assume this area falls directly onto the piste at the bottom.

I agree with those who say that speculation as to the cause of the avalanche and aportioning blame is wrong.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@PaulC1984, Help was there a lot sooner, they are all hidden behind the berm in the earlier photos I think. The first pisteurs would be there in 5 -6 mins (they live at the top of the mountain). Local reports are saying that the teams were working in two shifts as it is such hard work. They were having to probe 6m, that's about 3m more than your average probe. When a shout like this goes out the pisteurs call for all the instuctors over the radio and as word spreads local also turn out. But you also have to be careful as 'willing but unqualified' can make life a lot more difficult.

Thanks

I thought it would be the camera angle as there is a flat area there just over the brow.

Lets keep everything crossed for the missing Sad
snow report
@clarky999,

This avalanche roughly where triangle is. 2013 death was on a (closed, black) piste during a very heavy fall of snow, which is somewhere around the crescent-shaped bit on the right (no doubt somebody can pinpoint it better). The top of the Toviere lift is there at the right end of my red splodge.

For all they're about a mile apart, not similar places.

ski holidays
@PaulC1984, anyone searching would have been down in the gully, hidden from the webcam.
latest report
James the Last wrote:

@Rob_Quads, It's outside the resort area though. Just because you can see a dozen bars doesn't mean that the skiing is safe... It's well off piste.

Agreed its well off-piste but what I meant is its not the hardest area to get to, only a small trek from a simple chair. By all accounts they had a guide, accidents do happen so we will have to wait and see.
latest report
Apparently they had no transievers, plus where the snow came to a stop is very very deep. Our friends were helping search and were turned away so that the groomers could come in and help Sad
snow report
Alex A wrote:
I wish I knew how to post a Gif file as it looks pretty clear when you toggle between 1030 and 1040 and you see what appears like people there and then you click and they are gone..

10.20 not there; 10.30 there - just below the red blob; 10.40 slipped.

ski holidays
Rob_Quads wrote:
James the Last wrote:

@Rob_Quads, It's outside the resort area though. Just because you can see a dozen bars doesn't mean that the skiing is safe... It's well off piste.

Agreed its well off-piste but what I meant is its not the hardest area to get to, only a small trek from a simple chair. By all accounts they had a guide, accidents do happen so we will have to wait and see.

It's not that simple to get there at all. You cannot get to as high as they were from just "a small trek from a simple chair"
ski holidays
I've skied this line and got caught in a very small slide. It's steep at the top.. that is a deep bowl at the bottom. Any idea what company was guiding? The evo2 guys that have taken me out are great. Hope they're safe. Sad for the losses.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy