Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parking for the week in Moutiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Next year we're hoping to save a bit of money by driving rather than flying, as we have four children and rather than bunking school like we've done the last two years, we'll have to go in the holidays due to the oldest having SATS. So probably Easter time.

Last year we went to Tignes in January and there had just been the first proper dump of the year. On transfer day, cars were skidding everywhere without snowchains and it looked utterly chaotic. It filled me with horror, frankly! That said, if we had snowchains, I wouldn't mind attempting it. The problem is that our car (new Volvo XC90 T8 with 21" wheels) genuinely cannot have snowchains fitted, not without huge huge expense, like buying a whole new set of wheels plus custom hard-to-find-and-expensive snowchains. Frankly, for one trip a year to the Alps where chances are high we won't need it, this seems excessive. The car currently has all seasons tyres fitted for the record, probably not a lot of use compared to winters.

The odds may well be on our side and we can drive into resort, but it's not a chance I want to take really - the stress of not having any alternative if there is a dump would keep me awake for weeks beforehand!

So with that backstory in mind - can anyone recommend either/both of:

a) a resort which we'll DEFINITELY not need snowchains for that is likely to be skiable at Easter?
b) somewhere safe and reliable to park in Moutiers, where we can get a transfer up the mountain without too much faffage with lots of small children (youngest will be 4, oldest will be 11) For six of us, it's probably not to dear to get a private transfer I'd guess?

Thanks!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Auto socks are your friend. Our 4x4 wit 21" wheels has the same issue. Being a little paranoid, I bought 2 pairs and have used them to access Les Arcs daily from Bourg St Maurice and the Col de Lauturet to reach La Grave from . On both holidays, they were superb and, while now looking obviously worn, they have no holes or damage - although I took great care to remove them as soon as the snow finished.

Big 4x4s with fancy wide wheels are very flattering on the ups but, without winter tyres, are terrifying on the downs. I am sure that auto socks are only needed on the front wheels but, as they cost a fraction of the only alternative, it has to be a better solution than trying to transfer from Moutiers.

Having said all of that, the risk of such conditions at Easter is low and, in any event, the road to Tignes is a main holiday route and the authorities will move heaven & earth to keep it open.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks!! Not being a huge expert on chains/socks - will socks always fit a car, no matter what? From what I can gather, the main issue is something to do with clearance, but without fishing out the Volvo forum posts from lots of people a lot more knowledgeable than me about such matters, I am not sure of the details!!

You're right - Easter is far less likely to have a dump like I saw in Tignes in January. This was in the centre of Le Lac, people driving up the hill from the main bus station part and it was treacherous on foot in the road, let alone in an unprepared car of which there were several. And lots of people swearing a lot! I'm sure the roads into resort itself would be fine, or good enough.. I'm just worried about the last hundred yards, quite literally.

I have to admit it would be soooo much easier to drive into resort and park in a nice covered carpark, but I'd need to know I wasn't going to be that person looking stressed beyond belief at the side of the road completely stuck!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
EBAY for sensible sized winter alloys and winter tyres, job done drive direct to your door. Added bonus of keeping your 21" wheels nice over the winter
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alas, I had a look and it's still the best part of a grand and I don't even think that includes the actual winter tyres! I'll deal with the faff of a transfer to save that much any time!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No clearance issues with socks (no metal parts to foul the suspension or brakes) - just make sure you get the correct size by checking the websites. Too small and they won't go on - too big and they'll slop around on the wheels. Perfect for the last 100 yards, as you say (no, I don't work for them, just a satisfied customer).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sparklies, I've been told that Michelin do some very good snow socks that are heavier duty then the usual ones. Spikes Spyders can usually be fitted to cars that can't normally take chains. Have you checked roofbox.co.uk ? If there's nothing shows up, give them a ring, they're really helpful
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for roofbox.co.uk
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will the gendarmes let you up the mountain with socks if they are stopping people and making them put chains on?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@craigjbarker, depends on the gendarmes Toofy Grin
@sparklies, there is an underground secure car park under the bus station/train station in Moutiers. I can't remember the price structure but should be driving past in the next couple of days and will take a look. From there you can catch a bus up or organise a private transfer. Plenty of those around !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-x-Universal-Adjustable-Auto-Car-SUV-Snowblower-Tire-Snow-Chains-For-Mug-Ice-Road-145/32762992634.html?

These would work on your wheels and much better than socks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@craigjbarker, socks are legally recognised winter equipment in France, so yes, they should.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry if you have already checked these out, but have you investigated the ladder style chains which don't require any fitting inside the tyre (so shouldn't impact on the brakes/suspension mounting - selection here:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=snowchains&query=8262&Sub_Model=&TID=1423

?? Only issue might be clearance with the wheel arch but I would surprised if tolerances were that small.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roof box.co.uk says they hire chains for cars with limited clearance or where normal chains won't fit - the link is towards bottom of this page:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/snow-chains/snowchains-or-autosock.php
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Parking in the Moutiers underground car park is 6€ for the first 24hrs then 25centimes per hour after that. But the car park doesn't take notes or cards just change!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy