Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jacket for complete newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Hey!

I am 19 and will be going skiing for the first time in Kitzbuehel, Austria. I wanted to ask if I can just use my waterproof superdry jacket or do I need to invest in a brand new ski jacket?

The current superdry jacket I own is: https://www.localsunited.nl/superdry/jas-elements-ultra-lite-packaway-jacket-cancun-blue-canyon-green/

Thanks for any help!

Best regards,
Kay
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That doesn't look waterproof. I'd buy a cheapie off ebay, that way if you trash it you're not that worried.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have a week or two to spare the half term hols will be over and places like Mountain Warehouse and Decathlon will start some big discounts on remaining ski stock.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh okay, thanks! I will be flying out this Wednesday so I guess I will try to go to Trespass/North Face tomorrow to pick up a jacket Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sports direct do cheap and cheerful jackets that work if you have one near by.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Kayceus, we've got a Trespass outlet near us, always good for first timers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kayceus, I would look for a jacket that does not look like a ski jacket, so that it can be used on the street afterwards. The North Face do some excellent Tri-Climate jackets with zip in/out fleeces that work over a wide range of temperatures.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hells Bells I tried the Trespass outlet in Wembley but the Ski Jackets they showed me were all £100 which I felt wasn't worth since this is my first time and I am not certain if I will pursue it to be a hobby Puzzled

I bought my ski googles, ski helmet, base layers from there though. I also got midlayers and waterproof boots from Go Outdoors today.

I am going Harrow tomorrow to look for Ski pants, socks and a jacket.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PowerAdict I will take a look at North Face then too Smile Thanks for the recommendation!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pieman666 Do sports direct do ski jackets or do you mean just waterproof jackets?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Trespass will be selling those £100 jackets for £20 in a couple of weeks. If you can afford a North Face it will last you and pick the right one it will be fine as a general outdoors coat.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Trespass will be selling those £100 jackets for £20 in a couple of weeks. If you can afford a North Face it will last you and pick the right one it will be fine as a general outdoors coat.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any waterproof jacket will do... No real burning need for a dedicated ski jacket:)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They do ski jackets. I got one for £80 that was excellent in high winds.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica

They don't stock a lot in store but if it's local it's worth a look.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davkt Sadly I leave in 3 days
latest report
@jjams82 What exactly determines a fully waterproof jacket since a lot of jackets may say waterproof but leak when it comes to skiing and snow?
snow report
@pieman666 thank you! Will take a look in store tomorrow since there is a sports direct present. Do you think TK Maxx would stock ski jackets/ waterproof jackets?
snow report
I think they do @Kayceus. Worth a look.
snow report
@pieman666 Thanks a lot! Will pop in there tomorrow too Very Happy
snow conditions
@Kayceus, I'm not sure really... Marketing I guess. I suspect a good wicking base layer is as important as the jacket as even a sodden top layer can still be perfectly comfortable when the layer next to the skin is still dry.
ski holidays
I also wanted to ask, a lot of waterproof jackets are quilted, is that a no go for skiing and I should only look at "shells" ?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 12-02-17 22:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@jjams82 Okay, Thank you! I will ask the staff at the stores to come to a firmer conclusion Very Happy
snow report
I think with all these questions the old advice of "buy a cheap one and work out what you like/dislike about it so when you buy a more expensive one you'll get it right" would do you well:)

Outdoors clothing is a very personal thing, you probably just need to get a week or two under your belt to work out what suits you.
snow report
TK Maxx is well worth a look
snow conditions
@jjams28 Thanks for the advice
latest report
@davekt Thanks a lot! and Happy Birthday apparently Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
First time out: cheap and cheerful is best.

Only thing to really avoid is something totally rubberised / plastic with no breathability. Providing you have a few non-cotton baselayers; as a beginner you'll generate a lot of your own heat so will probably be warm enough regardless, but if you are wrapped in plastic you'll just sweat and get wet anyway...
latest report
As a beginner your main problem may be falling over on wet snow. Maybe a cagoul or something on top, just to stop that. For warmth, just lots of layers with zips for you to regulate temperature / sweating.

People did learn to ski before gore-tex Wink

Have fun!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheap jacket with thin layers under is fine.

But do get good gloves.
ski holidays
I'd say that the jacket in the OP is not suitable. It has a non-wind-proof zip. You will get cold.

Buy a waterproof and **breathable** ski jacket from Sports Direct or TK Maxx for about £50. You will be falling over, frequently; you therefore want a proper ski jacket - they're built to withstand abrasion and, most importantly, they will have a 'snow skirt' to stop the snow going up inside your coat. These are fairly well built:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-vail-ski-jacket-mens-408041?colcode=40804103

This is hideous, but cheaper than the above:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-meribel-ski-jacket-mens-408028?colcode=40802803
latest report
The ultimate irony: Superdry jacket that's not even remotely dry (or very warm for that matter!)

Another vote for TK Maxx, Decathlon, Sports Direct or Trespass to begin with. Then when you've found you want to ski more have a look at Sport Pursuit's offerings for more advanced kit at good prices.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy