Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles - Photochromatic or dual-lens Recommends Please

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a photochromatic or easy-switch dual lens goggles. Tried a Julbo photochromatic lens some years back but it didn't fare that well in low light. Are the new photchromatic goggles any good and what would you recommend?

Need to buy online and am concerned about getting goggles which are too large. I'm female with a normal sized face.

Suggestions and links gladly welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I prefer lense switching for googles and photo chromatic for sun glasses. Have the jubilee glasses, use mainly for touring. I ski with Dragon goggles with yellow and dark lenses. But smith I/o are good also. I Also liked the anon before getting the dragons.

I think most have women specific options
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@5RED, which Julbo lens did you try? They do several photochrom(at)ic ones, Zebra Light being the lightest and IMO it does very well in low light.
If you tried Zebra, I can see (pun intended Toofy Grin ) how you might have thought it was too dark! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"..didn't fare that well in low light.." I found this with my bolle photochromatic lens ; looking to buy a 'low light' specific lens
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have some Salomon goggles from last season which are photochromic and they've been great, in that they work in all lights, to my satisfaction at least.
I ride all day in all lights, typically sun in the open, shade in the trees, and deteriorating light in the afternoon.

Before lens swapping I'd carry two pairs of goggles. With swapping, I had a lens for bright and one for late in the day. Now it's just one pair and I'm happy. I think I'm pretty fussy, but it all depends what you expect I suppose.

It may be possible to find "response time"/ "brightness range" data for goggle lenses to see which have the best response.
I'm not a big person and these fit me fine with good peripheral vision. I think you have to try the things on to know if they fit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Am getting on well with my Oakley Airbrakes. Fairly easy to change lenses (although not as good as some). I have quite a small face and whilst they are quite large, they aren't too large!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Smith Red Sensor is good - used it under floodlights to clear blue skies... the IO7 is medium sized frame.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone tried Zeal photchromic, or Giro Contact lenses?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@5RED, slight thread drift here. Whilst browsing Decathlons website I spotted some goggles that are controlled electronically. I suspect that they must operate like welding shield screens that dim the instant the welding arc is sensed.

This would suggest that there would be no transition delay. There is also a manual over-ride button where the dimming effect can be set.

Couldn't find a review though it looks an interesting concept.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
5RED wrote:
Anyone tried Zeal photchromic, or Giro Contact lenses?

I am a long time user of Zeal photochromic polarised (Automatic) goggles and my current goggles are Zeal Fargos with polarised and photochromic (Automatic) lenses. No need to change lenses, but when visibility is incredibly bad I simply swap to a pair of cheap ultra low light goggles in my backpack - this is normally when it's necessary to ski at near walking pace.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unless you never wipe out, I would advice buying two goggles, rather than a second lens. The lenses are very easily cracked when out of a goggle frame.

Plus it is much easier to just swap the goggle over. Price wise, all of the money is in the lens.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bar shaker, no guarantees though. On my to-do list today is a phone call to Oakley customer services after I split a now discontinued goggle lens which was in the frame and in my backpack during a sky-ground-sky-ground incident last week. Hard cases are the future.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bar shaker wrote:
Unless you never wipe out, I would advice buying two goggles, rather than a second lens. The lenses are very easily cracked when out of a goggle frame.

Plus it is much easier to just swap the goggle over. Price wise, all of the money is in the lens.

My pair of low light goggles are Smith Scope goggles with Blue Sensor Mirror lenses.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just bought the Bolle Emperor goggles with Photochromatic lenses, really rate them. Skied with the sun going down and hard to tell the difference to my Oakley hi-yellow low light goggles. I often carry a second pair in a soft scuba mask padded case, but with the Bolles I have stopped bothering.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

hard to tell the difference to my Oakley hi-yellow low light goggles

Wow, impressive stuff... Shocked
latest report
Pynch wrote:
Quote:

hard to tell the difference to my Oakley hi-yellow low light goggles

Wow, impressive stuff... Shocked

Yes, quality photochromic (aka photochromatic) lenses really are the bollox!
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:
@5RED Whilst browsing Decathlons website I spotted some goggles that are controlled electronically. I suspect that they must operate like welding shield screens that dim the instant the welding arc is sensed.

Interesting. Uvex also do a similar lens but it's battery controlled (30 hours life) and I tend to want to avoid relying on power sources for my vision.
ski holidays
@Scarpa, Agree . .

Bolle Modulator Light Control . . . pick your frame . . .manages all variable conditions but the whitest of white outs, in which case you should be in the bar not skiing . . .
snow conditions
That's two votes for Bolle Modulator lenses - by the way, would you choose polarised or non for this lens?

Generally, which do people favour:

A. Polychromic lens
B. Easy lens swap goggles
latest report
5RED wrote:
That's two votes for Bolle Modulator lenses - by the way, would you choose polarised or non for this lens?

Generally, which do people favour:

A. Polychromic lens
B. Easy lens swap goggles

The Bolle Modulator Light Control lens is built with NXT technology, which gives superior optics (due to Trivex) over standard Polycarbonate lenses....and is partly Polarized (only cuts 50% of Polarized light, to help reduce glare, but still allow the recognition of ice).

Personally, I went for the Oakley Prizm Rose lens, which seems to cover all conditions, without having to wait for it to change, or the faff of carrying and changing to another lens, while on the mountain.

My order of preference would be:

1. Prizm Rose
2. Photochromic (Trivex NXT)
3. Lens change.
ski holidays
Bolle Modulator, because I always manage to get a deal off:

Costco
Amazon UK
Amazon De

That way no need for tears when a pair inevitably falls apart, gets smashed or scratched.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Personally, I went for the Oakley Prizm Rose lens, which seems to cover all conditions, without having to wait for it to change, or the faff of carrying and changing to another lens, while on the mountain.

Sounds good, am now looking at the Oakley Prizm Rose, which handily comes in the Flight Deck XM (for medium faces). Reviews are very good for low light, but some say they're a little bright in full sun. 80% of my skiing seems to be in full sun, when visibility is obviously fine. But my vision get into trouble in fog or low light, when the Rose sounds like it will work great. So what's your experience of skiing all day with the Prizm Rose in full sun?

Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
5RED wrote:

Sounds good, am now looking at the Oakley Prizm Rose, which handily comes in the Flight Deck XM (for medium faces). Reviews are very good for low light, but some say they're a little bright in full sun. 80% of my skiing seems to be in full sun, when visibility is obviously fine. But my vision get into trouble in fog or low light, when the Rose sounds like it will work great. So what's your experience of skiing all day with the Prizm Rose in full sun?

Thanks Very Happy

I found them perfectly acceptable in a week of sunshine in mid Jan this year....I reckon they have a VLT in the mid 20s.

There is no magic answer for flat light, but the Prizm Rose is as good as I've used. The Prizm Hi-Pink should be slightly better in flat light, but might be problematic in bright sun.
snow report
@5RED, The Decathlon goggle sounds very similar to the Uvex model as it has a rechargeable battery pack IIRC.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy