Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go this winter

Poster: A snowHead
So last year I went to mayrhofen and although I liked it
There were a lot or steep blues.

I am looking for a resort with wide cruisey long blues and reds. I was in niesko and that was pretty flat and lovely.

Looking for European report, any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gosh, @KernowRed, snowboarders are not usually that keen on flat....Les Saisies and the surrounding Espace Diamant resorts have lots of cruisey runs, and even some lovely flat bits, but it wouldn't be top choice for yer average snowboarder, and definitely not to be recommended if you like a loud apres ski scene.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Mayrhofen is a great area for snowboarding and have been a few times. The blues there aren't that steep - they're pretty mellow. It does have a lot of reds, though.

For nice blues & reds - you could try Avoriaz (stay in Morzine, though), Tignes, Saalbach or Meribel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, I am just looking for different options as I haven't snowboarded in Europe til mayrhofen
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saalbach has an extensive area and loads of blues and reds, which for the most part, are fairly interchangeable and cruisey. Across in France La Plagne has lots of easy blues, and as per @hellboarder, Avoriaz, Tignes (Val D'Isere which is linked to Tignes is not quite as cruisey so maybe base yourself on the Tignes side to start with) and Three Valleys (Val Thorens, Meribel, Courcheval) are also good options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks this is great info, i will take a look
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I really liked Serre Chevalier, lots of varied terrain and not really any flat spots.....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Courchevel 1850, France.
Serre Chevalier, France.
Zermatt, Switzerland.
Wengen, Switzerland.
Saalbach, Austria.
Garmisch, Germany.
Sestriere, Italy.
Sierra Nevada, Spain.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did Sierra Nevada, Spain ever open last year? It had a real snow drought at the beginning of the season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah La Plagne has plenty of cruisey runs, just be careful not to end up on any that have too much flat or work out how to skirt around it. For example, when you go over from the top of Arpette towards Les Coches there's a flat with a rope, but if you stay right and catch Carroley (really old and slow, but might be due for replacement) then you don't have to deal with the flat. The St Jacques piste can be a pain too as has a bit of an uphill in the middle, depends how quick you board. The run run I can think of that has a flat but is still worth doing is Levasset, start from the top of the Roche De Mio gondola and then stay left and you get a real wide open run.

Livgino is reasonable too, went there on a bash last year and there were plenty of guys with a week of two of experience having a go at most of the blues, a few reds and in some cases a black. In fact one of the black runs was one of the nicest in the resort because the conditions were that much nicer there. It was steep but soft snow and wide, empty piste so you could just ski however you wanted.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for this, I will investigate. Don't get me wrong I am quite a good experienced boarder, but I would love to have a few more curvey wide runs that don't end up mogalled out
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rastkogel in Mayrhofen was nice and cool.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll second Les Saisies. Lots of long, wide blues, reds (and greens) which are shallow but of a very consistent gradient. Absolutely fine for some proper carving.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mountain Haddock wrote:
Did Sierra Nevada, Spain ever open last year? It had a real snow drought at the beginning of the season.

Yes it did, my friend visited in early March, snow wasn't the best but he had a good time. Also being able to go the beach after boarding was quite the experience he said
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Icebear wrote:
Tignes (Val D'Isere which is linked to Tignes is not quite as cruisey so maybe base yourself on the Tignes side to start with)

I would agree with all of those recommendations but Val d'Isere has some of the best cruising runs anywhere, up above Solais. The Fornet valley, from the Glacier du Pissaillas right down to Fornet Village has some of the best cruising I've done. The blues back down to Solais are also epic runs on a board, with loads of safe 'off the side' to play on too. Together with Grande Motte in Tignes down to Val Claret, the descent to Fornet and Grande Motte must be amongst the longest and biggest descents in Europe (excluding the Vallee Blanche).

Just don't tackle Genepi off the Grande Motte unless seriously prepared to go for it. If you are committed it's a roller coaster of a piste and should probably be rated higher than it's blue status. Most rollers can be crested OK but the lower sections need serious tucks and serious speed to make the crests (much like Tunnel in La Plagne).

Other than this one piste, the whole of Espace Killy is a great playground for boarding and SCUK have had many annual bashes there for this reason.
ski holidays
For a different experience, think about some of the Lapland/ Finland areas. No altitude, though still reasonable length runs, often not busy & really nice deep snow, on and off piste. Plus night sessions ( or just weird floodlit gloom!)
I had a great confidence-boosting boarding time there last year & am definitely going back to board ( ski less so). Can be a fun, and different trip. Some resorts have good board parks, though some also not so good for non- drag uplifts. Nightlife limited though, & booze blinking expensive, resorts can be very small, not so bad if self cater.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 1-10-16 12:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Two of my favorate places for snowboarding on piste:
Alp D'huez
Serre Che

Quote:

I was in niesko and that was pretty flat and lovely.

Really? I though nieseko was a total piece of poo for snowboarding on-piste. Terrible, terrible flat bits.
snow report
My neice was out piste boarding last March in one of the Dolmites resorts and thoroughly enjoyed it - she's a pretty experienced boarder. I saw some pictures, looked nice long runs. Can't remember which resort but she did a lot of mileage around the area.
ski holidays
Easy blues try Courchevel 1550 / 1650 / 1850 & La Tania
latest report
@KernowRed, try La Plagne. Lots of easy riding on piste and some good off piste. Back side of glacier is awesome.
ski holidays
did you try any of the other resorts in the ziller valley when you were in mayrhofen ? kaltenbach and zell am ziller are great . all included on the lift pass inc the train.
ski holidays
We tried all the resorts, and I really enjoyed it, just looking for somewhere else to go.
latest report
Can't recommend anywhere else but I love mayrhofen for Snowboarding. Has a bit of everything and really easy to get around. I have been twice and will go back again and again.
snow conditions
Well we ended up booking Borovets, Mainly on price and the fact my mate hasn't been in years. I know its not the alps or Austria but the area looks like there will be enough to keep us going for a week. I will report back and let you know what its like.
latest report
Just been for a weekend in Borovets snowboarding, I'd say a week is too long, 2-4 days probably ideal. If you like long cruisey blues there are one or two but they end up turning flat and you've got a long ride back up the gondola. The best runs are the pistes under the gondola, or between pistes at the highest point (if you get good conditions, and you don't mind dodging the tree tips). There's also the most unpleasant button lift in the world to conquer. Leave both feet strapped in and prepare for a jolt...

Tip: If you come back down the gondola for a cheaper lunch, do it early or late because everyone else does the same = queues to get back up for the afternoon. You'll be queuing in the morning whatever happens though.
snow report
Thanks for this. We are about 500 metres from the Yastrebets lift so hopefully not so many queues. Oh well its booked now.

Thanks for the tips. I am not completely looking for long cruisey blues but i just wanted a few so i can practice some butters, 180's & 360's and not go flying down a steep run after it. Where are the long flats to avoid?
snow report
I only rode over the north side of the mountain (up the Yastrebets gondola side) because it was cloudy below 1800m, so I don't know about the Sitnyakovo side.

The top part of the red runs above Yastrebets Express are wide and flat enough for flatland, but can be busy. Once you get lower than the Yastrebets Express chair, it starts to get flat all the way to the bottom of the gondola, but it is rideable all the way down with speed.

In the Markudjik area with the evil button lift, there's some side hits onto the piste.
snow conditions
Thanks for the advice I will look out for them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy