Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WHAT BINDINGS???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, Im after a little or a lot of advice please.

Been skiing a fair few years now and up until recently its been a one trip a year thing so always paid to hire the latest gear in resort. As Im now tripping a few times a year and have grand ideas, the time has come to buy the complete kit

My thought now is i would like to try a little touring, but this is secondary to piste and off piste skiing. So my question is,

What sort of bindings should i be looking at?
Where should the budget begin?
Do i steer clear of 2nd hand bindings or are they potentially a good buy?

Finally, have i not asked something that i should be asking?

(if it makes a difference, i already have Freedom SL's with the correct soles)

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marker F12 Tour EPF for a frame binding or if you have tech soles you could make the leap to one of the latest bread of tech bindings (Beast 14/Radical 2/Kingpin) & ski it for everything.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@J New, Since your Freedom SL's replaceable soles give you the choice of Alpine or Tech Pin bindings, you can pick from any binding.

If the vast majority of your skiing is piste and lift served off-piste, with the very occasional tour, then a frame binding is probably the way forward (such as the Marker F10/F12/Baron etc). Don't forget that you will also need to get some skins. However, I would recommend that you try hiring a touring ski with pin bindings just to see how much difference this makes in terms of weight and efficiency.

If you find you like touring more than you expect, I would consider getting both an Alpine binding and Pin binding, and install Quiver Killers so that you can change between them on the same ski.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I asked the owner of my local ski shop in resort a similar question only last week and he gave me the same advice as spyderjon.
I have an old touring set up which was fine for climbing but i did not enjoy the ski down as i have become so accustomed to my wide rocker skis.
The f 12 epf are now on my everyday ski !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. I think after speaking to a few people and reading here, I will look more towards the marker F12' or similar bindings

As much as I'd like to get out and do both, it's going to be mainly going down the hills rather than up them.

Maybe at a later date I will look into having specific set ups for touring and the holiday in resort

Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quiver Killers.

Are these just effectively inserts that allow for the swapping over of bindings?

If so, do bindings have a standard hole pattern
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@J New, Correct, Quiver Killers allow you to unbolt and bolt on different bindings, however your skis would have to be drilled for the different bindings, as there are not any standards for hole patterns (even for bindings by the same manufacturer).

A standard binding mount, screws (and glues), the bindings to the ski, which are a one off fitment. QK's use bolts so that you can swap bindings in 15 mins.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@J New, Quiver Killers are normally added so that you can use one set of bindings for multiple skis and save on packing weight, rather than multiple bindings for one set of skis although I guess this could be done as long as the drilling patterns don't interfere.

I have some Marker F12 EPF on my off-piste skis and find them fine for downhill use, although I've not done any touring on them as yet, but I'll be making a phone call about skins for them probably tomorrow so I'll soon find out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy