Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel 1650 to 1850

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Courchevel next week with family. I'm a capable skier but husband and youngest (8 years) are still wobbly intermediates. Husband is already booked in for a day's 1:1 so hopefully that'll give him a boost. Youngest is with Magic over in 1850 but the lessons don't start until 1. I'd rather not travel by bus when we can ski there so can you recommend some lovely greens and sure blues to get there? Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
(and back, ofcourse!). Thanks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Merch.Y.Mynydd, unfortunately the only ways from 1650 to 1850 include reds. The lower way is via Gravelles a blue which ends up near the bottom of a steepish red pitch, which can be a bit cut up at times, it can also be approached from roc mugner (sp) red but has a more of the steep section at the bottom. As it's a pinch point it can get rather busy. Once you're past there it's easy blues all the way!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go by bus.

The only blue option is Gravelles, as mentioned above. What @stevew doesn't say is that it's a track with a wall on one side and a drop on the other. It tends to get icy from all the folks side slipping down it before it spits you out onto the bottom of a red. Not nice at all.

Conditions are often better on the red way up at the top of the hill - Jean Pachod.

Fortunately, coming home is a good bit easier - head round the foot of the altiport.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 10-02-17 22:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks stevew and altis. I guess some skiing around 1650 in the morning before grabbing the bus for the afternoon lessons is the thing to do then. Can you elaborate a bit about the journey home? I've downloaded the Three Valleys fat map on my phone but I'm not the best map reader at the best of times. Actually, that said, lessons finish at 4 so I don't suppose I'll have enough time to sensibly ski back across to 1650 with 2 intermediates... Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Should easily be possible.

From the top of the Biollay or Pralong chair take the Pralong blue, keep the altiport on your right and then take the Prameruel blue under the end of the runway down to the bottom of the tiddly Prameruel chair. Then you're home and dry.

If you're too late for the Prameruel chair there is a track that takes you back out to the road between 1850 and 1650 with a short walk home. Alternatively, we once witnessed an ESF instructor passing some money to the attendant who had just closed the lift. So we just tagged on the end of the group and rode to the top Smile

On the way up the chair you can glance right. The big steep piste facing you is Roc Mugnier and you should be able to see the little track Gravelles that runs into the bottom of it. Check out the conditions and consider if you could try that the next morning.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks altis. Invaluable advice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@altis, not sure it's a short walk along the road to 1650 ... depends if you're at the Rockys side or the 1550 end of the village
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Merch.Y.Mynydd, if coming back along the easy blue Prameruel track from 1850 to 1650 you need to take the Roc Mugnier lift which closes at 17:00 from this point in the season. Then you have blues all the way back into 1650.

I would definitely not risk missing that chairlift as the buses don't always pick up from the bus stop near where the track that @altis mentions comes out on to the road.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And I should mention too, that if you decide to take the blue Gravelles pathway from 1650 towards the chairlift which takes you to 1850, it is possible to avoid the icy/bumpy/busy bottom part of the Roc Mugnier red piste. When you get to the point where the blue run joins the red piste on the corner, follow the easier roadway piste to the right and it will take you down to the Aiguille de Fruit chair. Possibly best for you to check the route first before using it as a commute to lessons in 1850.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Prameruel chair does not exist any more. The only chair at the bottom of Prameruel to take you to 1650 is Roc Mugnier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you find the family are too slow to ski all the way back from 1850 to 1650 there are a couple of options to shorten the above route.

From the top of the Jardin Alpin bubble, ski across to the Altiport drag rather than the Pralong / Biollay chairs. This takes you directly to the start of the Prameruel blue run.

And if it is too far from the top of the Roc Mugnier chair all the way down to 1650, then just ski to the top of the Ariondaz bubble and take that down - check out the last descent time earlier in the day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fantastic advice from everyone. I'm really grateful to you all. I'm still trying to get to grips with the fat map but maybe I should just rely on the paper copy and your advice
Very Happy

Actually, the fatmap will probably cost me a fortune in data usage. Has anyone else found this a reliable map?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try Maprika instead of fatmap. After downloading map(s), no data usage, only gps
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Merch.Y.Mynydd, The 3 vallees app now uses the Fatmap mapping, but I found that the Meribel app still uses the traditional piste map, and for the whole of the 3 valleys. With data you can overlay piste and lift status, but I think the map itself doesn't use data.
snow conditions
It is possible to get to 1850 and back to 1650 all on blues. Note that for some Gravelles can be stressful for nervous intermediates as it is a path and it can get busy and not leave much room to turn. As @juliad mentions you can avoid the red on the way by peeling off to the right and following a gentle path down to the Aiguille de Fruit. Note the buses run every 10 minutes from 1650 to 1850 so that is a good option. If you haven;t been to 1650 before be sure to take your son down Indiens which has the tee pees and is a lot of fun for kids (and big kids)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy