Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton: Radical 'ferris wheel' gondola to replace Galzig cablecar

Poster: A snowHead
The Galzig cablecar in St Anton - almost 70 years old - will be replaced this summer with a uniquely-engineered gondola system, incorporating 'ferris wheels' in the base station.

The old cablecar, constructed in 1937 and upgraded in 1964, will give way to a 'funitel' (double cable) gondola. The gondola cabins will revolve around vertical 'ferris wheels' to bring them to ground level, doing away with the necessity to build extensive passenger steps into the station. The wheels will then take the cabins to 'line level' for the ascent.

The gondola station will feature radical 'transparent' architecture by Tyrolean architect Georg Driendl, putting the focus on the dramatic engineering inside.

This report from ISR: Internationale Seilbahn Rundschau has two stunning enlargeable graphics of the base station - click the zoom buttons.

Also, see this report from Ropeways.net.

Any comments?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great news for St Anton, should get rid of a few of the queues at the start of the day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow - the engineer in me would love to see this never mind the skiier in me!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very bad news for St Anton.

Theres allready enough people on the Galzig. Transporting even more people will only make things worse Sad

From the Galzig there is not sufficient distribution. The lines at the Osthangbahn,Zammermoosbahn & Christophbahn will increase.

The same thing happened on the Gampen when they built the Nasserainbahn & upgraded the Kapallbahn.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is an old report . An animation from Austrian television
http://81.10.170.223/alpengallery/0alpinforum/galzig_riesenrad.mpg
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's interesting, stanton. I suspect you're right. I've visited St Anton since 1963 and the strains were certainly showing by the late 1980s.

The locals need to be careful not to kill the golden goose. It's a concentrated ski terrain.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like a beautiful piece of engineering!

I've never been to St Anton, it sounds like the Galzig cablecar needed replacing - are there some obvious subsequent replacements / upgrades to be made in the area?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"The Funitel contains 28 cubicles each for 24 persons, transporting 2,200 passengers per hour. " , The current lift has a capacity of 700 pph and I would suggest that the new lift could run at more than 2200 pph when comparing it with similar funitels which achieve 3000+ pphh e.g.the Finiplagne in LA Plagne has 28 person cabins and can carry 3504 pph. Even to start with the new lift will more than triple the possible uplift of skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I rather liked the feeling of tradition of the old cable car, despite the queues. I take stanton's point about the problems of dispersing skiers once they arrive at the top of the new lift.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Of course, St Anton's density of skiers will be determined not by the capacity of any lift(s) but by the number of people actually using them.

The figures to actually watch are the number of beds in the resort, and the number of parking spaces around the place!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The figures to actually watch are the number of beds in the resort, and the number of parking spaces around the place!
David Goldsmith, Cant see how that would affect crowding in a certain area. Lots of folks will want to take the lift for the thrill of the ride. If there is no lift queue it will draw folks to the lift. e.g There is a new 6 man chair in Courchevel 1650 that serves some rarely used red runs. Well the used to be rarely used until they replaced the long drag with the new chair. When we went all the snow had gone due to the high sieer volumes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Only the Schindlerbahn but dont hold your breath on that one,will be a few years !

There is an argument that the town has a max capacity (beds) so there will only be that amount of people plus day trippers. The passengers will distribute more evenly over the entire area ie, reducing the numbers on Gampen .

If they really have to replace any lift they should replace the Feldherrnhügebahn (T bar) with a 6-8 man chair to reduce the numbers at Zammermoosbahn. Hopefully they wont Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh forgot about the link to Kappl (plans approved) & Tunnel (planned but political) through the Valluga to access Zürs but there years off being done !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, What great names the lifts have at your favourite resort.
Imagine following the signs to the "Feldherrnhügebahn" and finding out that it wasn't a huge funitel, but a T bar Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton, has the new (heated) chair up from Alpe Rauz caused any increase of traffic over in Stuben? I was worried about that when they decided to replace the old chair.
ski holidays
Mike Lawrie,

I wouldnt say so. Alot of folk dont go down to Stuben because of the old chairs

When they take out the two chairs in Stuben and put up the Gondola ( years ??) it will be a different story.

Im not sure if Leitner sorted out the technical problems with the new chair, im back down there next week Very Happy
latest report
I've always thought that a lot of people don't go to stuben because they don't know that there is as much skiing there as there is, and they're not sure how to get to it. It's not so much the type of chairs, but the fact that it's off the beaten track, and on the piste map it doesn't look like there's an obvious way back to the main resort.

BTW strongly disagree about the proposals for the Galzig, a queue spread between three fast chairs has to be better than the current system. Very Happy
snow report
Beautiful design and love the idea of no steps! but not sure about crowding more people onto an already overcrowded terrain...
ski holidays
It is a beautiful design, but it does seem to be an overly complex piece of engineering to solve the problem.
snow report
The article says

'In addition, to the steep stairs leading up to the loading area in the lower terminal of the Galzigbahn were no longer in keeping with expectations in terms of passenger convenience.'

presumably this means that skiers don't expect to walk any where Sad

I agree with Stanton. Replacing lifts with high capacity ones merely introduces more congestion . This usually makes the runs more dangerous and less pleasurable.

Either keep the old lift or replace it with a Tbar !
snow conditions
It will be interesting to see if this new lift function without techincal problems. After all this will be the testbed for Doppelmayer with this new lift technology.

Regarding high speed lifts. When they were first introduced in the US there was a study done & they found that people were obviously getting up the mountain quicker but also getting tired/fatigue quicker. More skiers were just buying halfday passes. This is why 1/2 day lift passs are so expensive in the US.

BTW . The building design is by a local who also designed a Hotel in St Anton.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy