Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Internet cafes in Avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, anyone know if there are any Internet cafes or access in Avoriaz. I might need to remote into my work PC for a couple of hours while I'm there in a weeks time, and I don't really want to have to take my laptop with me.

Cheers snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not helpful, but do such things still exist?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure there will be plenty of places with WiFi, but the chances of finding anywhere offering computers would be pretty remote these days.

I have to say that I wouldn't use any public computer for anything to do with work, and I wouldn't use any public WiFi with my own laptop without a VPN connection.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In Les Saisies (a one-horse dorp) the Tourist Office offers both computers with internet access and very comfortable desks with power points where you can plug in your own. Charges are reasonable. Surely Avoriaz would have something similar?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
I have to say that I wouldn't use any public computer for anything to do with work....

I have to say I wouldn't be doing anything to do with work while I was on holiday. Do you really have to rolling eyes ?? Can you seriously not completely forget work for a week? Are you honestly so indispensable?

Last winter we were in a chalet where city types seemingly had some kind of competition to see who could make the most work phone calls, send the most emails or bang on about their high-powered jobs the most. And it was always in the lounge area, in some form of attention-grabbing display, usually as we were assembling before dinner. ("Tell Simone that I'll set up a conference call and we can discuss whether I can approve her day's holiday request for next Friday then....").

Each to their own I know - but just so very very odd in my book.

I tried to get through the week without even mentioning work....but was finally pinned down to think and speak about it (aaagh!) for all of two minutes....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@PowderAdict, I agree, in the days of wifi it seems like the Internet cafe has died out a bit.

With regards to security, when I connect through, if the work connection isn't happy that it's secure enough then it won't let me connect at all.

mountainaddict wrote:
Can you seriously not completely forget work for a week? Are you honestly so indispensable?.

I wish!!! I'm generally very happy to forget all about work!
It's hard to explain but we have a big campaign going live, and it's while it's all been handed over to a junior member of the team and set up done, it's hard to know whether it's going to run fine until we get live data. I was just going to log on and check (and probably change) the files to make sure everything runs fine on the Monday morning so that the poor guy doesn't get in a panic (and potentially told off) if things don't run to plan. Essentially I was just trying to be nice!

Blush Blush

The likelihood is that I won't be able to log on and he'll just have to think on his feet but I thought I'd try.

Thanks @pam w, nice idea!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The orange tent outside Chez Flo has pretty good free Wifi if you take a tablet, not sure if it's good enough for a remote session though (if you can even do one on a tablet).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just back from Avoriaz and it has very limited internet. Most chalets have very slow and intermittent wifi, and a couple of bars do offer limited guest wifi

Surely if its needed and for work then work should just cough up for data roaming on your works phone
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perhaps take a cheap ~£50, 3G/4G 11" web tablet with an add-on mini USB keyboard? You can get a Remote Desktop client app for the Android o/s.

When I was there last April, the Falaise apartments had wifi throughout (as presumably all P&V apts now do), but with hundreds of folk trying to use it all at the same time, it wasn't usable. I had to go down to http://www.cafelefantastic.com in order to get a wifi connection and decent Internet access.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Create hot spot from phone.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is free wifi in the underground arcade at the Place des Dromonts, so you can surf while you are sitting in the laundry pretending to do your washing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I have to say I wouldn't be doing anything to do with work while I was on holiday.

This. Nobody at work now knows my personal mobile number and, after them taking the wee wee, I've stopped looking at work emails when I'm not at work. If I'm supposed to be on call organise it properly and pay me more otherwise stuff it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swiftoid,
A man from my own heart! Like you, (when I was working) I didn't give anyone at work my personal mobile number... I used to get enough calls on the work mobile, without them having access to another phone while I was away on holiday!

I did work with folk who took their Blackberry on hol though, so they could check emails. They reckoned it was less stressful than coming back to a full inbox after a week off. However, my preference was to cleanse my mind of work, forget about it for a week and just face the deluge when I got back.

Handy Turnip, Good of you to think of those less fortunate than you and to try & help out! Toofy Grin I hope you aren't setting a precedent for future trips though... Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy