Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendation with good off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Done the main resorts many times (Val D'Isere, 3 valleys, Les Arcs, Alp D'Huez, Deux alps) and looking for any suggestions for somewhere else. Preferably France as will be driving. Needs to have good of piste potential. Will be taking ski mountaineer gear so looking for runs a bit out of the resort as well.

Max
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MLS, welcome to snowheads, you could look at La Rosiere, which at first glance will not appear to fit your requirements but there is some terrific off-piste to be found and there is heli-skiing from just over the Italian border, or you can hike up. There are local guides and we offer a ski-randonee package where you can ski a different resort/off piste eac day with a local guide. Have a look at our ad in snowShops or go to our website www.tracksvacations.com for more details. BTW one of the off-piste intineries is the Ruitor glacier a 20km descent that's rated one of the best off-piste descents in the world.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David@traxvax,

Its on my list to visit sometime..... Stuff just off the beaten track sounds great...!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MLS, I've hard that St Foy is very good - knarly too! My friend who lives in Serre Chevalier also reckons they have fantastic off piste - never tried it, but she's been there about 15 years, so she must know. Also, you haven't mentioned La Grave - I assume you have skied there??? If not that's where you should head!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Ste Foy is only really good when there's a fresh snowfall, it used to be a nice little village as well, Barratt homes in the Alps now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For something smaller than the well known resorts, try Bonneval-sur-arc. A lovely old village up the Maurienne valley with only a few lifts but they go high (3000m), face north and access quite a wide off-piste area. There is also good ski touring available.

http://www.bonneval-sur-arc.com/english/uk_hiver_activites.htm#skievasion

I've also heard that Serre Che is good for off piste, but have never been.

d

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 2-02-06 23:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MLS, I suppose you've tried it already, but Chamonix has what you're looking for and there's plenty of places nearby, including Courmayeur (Toula Glacier) and Verbier. If you're willing to go a bit further Monterosa Ski is fantastic for off-piste but check the snow. The villages, Champoluc, Gressoney, and Alagna, there are still beautifully preserved if you like that sort of thing. We like Alagna the best for the off-piste but all three villages have their supporters. Further away still is the combination of Engelburg and Andermatt, more spectacular off-piste. If I can do this stuff from the US certainly you can drive a bit farther! Any of these choices are worth the extra time and if you care about night life at all Chamonix and Engelberg are both lots of fun.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jack wrote:
If you're willing to go a bit further Monterosa Ski is fantastic for off-piste but check the snow. The villages, Champoluc, Gressoney, and Alagna, there are still beautifully preserved if you like that sort of thing. We like Alagna the best for the off-piste but all three villages have their supporters.

Forgot about this - it's a fantastic area. I posted a link to some guides based in Gressoney a while ago, I'm sure you can find it if you need it. I think it's true to say that the best off-piste itineries are in the Alagna area, but they can also be reached quite easily from Gressoney which has the advantage of a much larger lift system which is handy for a bit of piste skiing if the mood takes you and also (more importantly) is more flexible if the weather closes in. If the big lift in Alagna is shut by the wind, there's not much else available there.

Of course, although it seems a long way away, it's probably quicker to get to than the Tarentaise now that the Mont Blanc tunnel is open.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MLS,
To follow up pendodave's post.

Gressoney is a great central village in Monterosa. Trinite is better for lifts but St Jean might be more of an allround village but you will have to bus upto Trinte or Staffal to get to the lift system. St Jean is self contained lift-wise. Alagne isn't so much a back water as it was as it has the new Olen lift which takes some of the strain off the Stolten cable... you are no longer quite so suseptable to high winds as before. The main heli drops originate from Gressoney and most to the Col du Lyksamm start at the Guilemina (spelling ) hut which can now be accessed from the Olen lift. You can get almost any itinery you like as long as the guides ok it... Snow has been very variable whenever I have been there (5 times).

Engelberg has a central glacier which is lift linked and various others to occupy you... If you can skin then then there is loads to do.
Andermatt is quite rocky and needs a good covering of snow to make the most of the terrain. Again, it is renown for touring possibilties. Neither of these is a hard drive, 8 hrs is goodish going to Engelberg. But if the snow is poor then both Engelberg and Andermatt can't rescue themselves with piste skiing. You would be bored psite wise in a couple of days. Off-piste is a completely different story. But if you are driving try this. Engelberg, Andermatt and Arolla or Val d Annivers over a 2 week trip..

We have driven to Alagne, Gressoney and the Swwis resorts and wouldn't regard any as a problem. And not as far as you might think. I thought the drive to La Plagne dragged on much more than the ones I mention....Not saying its further just that by the time you get to Abertville you still have Moutier Aime and then the hike upto LP....!!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd echo the recommendations of Chamonix and La Grave in France if you haven't done them before. For smaller areas, there is some fantastic stuff around Les Contamines (esp if you are up for spending a night or two in a hut)

On the Monte Rosa, that has loads of potential, but I'd be a bit wary of it this year. There will need to be LOTS of snow in order for it to be worth going to this year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stayed in Champoluc (Monte Rosa) last year . I'd echo what others say - awesome off-piste above Alagna. Some seriously steep couloirs if you're so inclined. Can do a high-level Algna-Zermatt-Champoluc-Alagna tour in a day with a heli-drop (or two days with a bit of skinning up).

Not good at the moment though - link between Champoluc and Gressoney is broken due to lack of snow and there's no significant off-piste
(according to http://www.ski-2.com/resortnews.htm).

Pretty close to Chamonix - it's about 45 mins drive from the Italian end of the Mont Blanc tunnel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David@traxvax wrote:
easiski, Ste Foy is only really good when there's a fresh snowfall, it used to be a nice little village as well, Barratt homes in the Alps now.

It still is a nice little village and the quality of accomodation is far higher than "Barret Homes"!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fogliettaz, I preferred it when it was still an Alpine village not full of identical chalets, it just looks like Camberley with snow now. It's also been overdeveloped so that with only 4 lifts it gets tracked out too quickly. It used to be a super place to go, now it's only worth going there when there's been a fresh dump.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the comments. Yes have done La Grave and Cham (gets too busy these days). Was considering MoteRosa but looks like best to leave this year due to snow conditions. Some of the others look interesting, but not good if the off piste is not good (but you can't have everything!). Could be worth driving to these for a day though.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Max
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy