Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire st anton

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, does anyone have a link to cheap ish ski hire st anton?

Prices seem soooooo high!

Twice the price of hire than in France!

Cheers

😀😀😀
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We booked through AlpinResorts when we went
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you follow the auto clicky above it will give you a discount code, but they have also emailed me news101 which may (or may not) give a better discount.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They all charged the same very high price expect http://www.hervisrent.at/en/filiale/ski/st-anton-am-arlberg/

Have a look at this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3012742&highlight=anton#3012742
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do a Google search on st Anton and price fixing.

From what I gather the fines are peanuts in comparison
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.inthesnow.com/st-anton-ski-shops-fined-for-price-fixing/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@heidi1, Don't book online. Find a non-chain shop in resort, make it clear you're paying cash and make them an offer
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for reply.

looks like we have no option but to pay!

Sad Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just booked a week in St Anton for 1st April and was a bit shocked at the ski hire prices.

Got a pretty good last minute deal on a catered chalet and was pleased to see that the lift pass prices look similar or slightly cheaper than the big resorts in France which we normally go to. I have to admit I didn't bother checking ski-hire prices before I booked as I assumed they'd be similar to elsewhere but when I later did they seemed quite extortionate.

I normally use an online booking company like Alpinresorts or Snowbrainer which generally give you up to 50% discount and allow you to hire a set of gold/black skis for around £50/£60 in French resorts. In St Anton though they only seem to give about a 10/15% discount and the prices are more than double. £120+ to hire a pair of skis for the week.

I know some people will say that I should have done my research before booking, but to be honest, when booking a ski holiday most people will mainly look at the basic holiday price, and maybe also the lift pass. Obviously a big resort like 3 valleys in France has more lifts so it makes sense that lift pass prices will be higher than a smaller resort. A pair of skis is a pair of skis though so I don't really get why one resort would be so much more than another.

Anyone know why this is? I read somewhere that there had been some sort of cartel in the past but thought that this had been stamped down on now. Is this typical of everywhere in Austria or just St Anton? I suppose another way of looking at it is to ask if St Anton hire shops can get away with charging so much why don't shops in other resorts do the same? Surely the same basic economic rules of supply and demand apply wherever you go?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I didn't notice this - we booked the sport 2000 place near the nasserien lift.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
£120 for top skis doesn't sound OTT. Top end of the range I'd say.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's the most well known fact about St Anton just about. A one minute search on here will find you countless threads moaning about it. It is still a cartel - the fines amounted to a bit of trivial cash flow inconvenience. I think part of it is a fleece the package tourists ethos. Germans or Swiss will hire en route from cheaper valley shops if they don't have their own. Perhaps there is an element of it being a resort for "serious" skiers so the proportion with their own kit is larger and therefore the size of the rental business is limited.

FWIW the service in the hire shops is better than average and I thank everyone for paying the high prices because the tech in Jennewein had no problem slinging me a free pair of loaner poles for a day when I snapped one last year
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
heidi1 wrote:
Hi, does anyone have a link to cheap ish ski hire st anton?

Prices seem soooooo high!

Twice the price of hire than in France!

Cheers

😀😀😀

Just do what I did a few year ago for Mrs BB:

1) Wince in advance at price of hire
2) Go to resort thinking that I could negotiate a decent rate
3) Find out it's a big cartel and no cheaper
4) Drink 8 pints watching England v Italy
5) With my heightened sense of reasoning, me and the boys "work out" that it's surely better value to just buy a set of skis/poles...
6) Walk in a few shops and buy them for about £30 more than the hire

Worked out OK in the end as:

a) I had a bag in which I could bring her new skis back in
b) Have used them a few time since for no cost

If I only went to places like St Anton it definitely makes sense to buy (imo of course).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martinm wrote:

They weren't top end of the range though. They look to be the same black/gold level skis that you can hire for about £60 in other resorts.

Regarding fleecing tourists and locals/nationals hiring en route, surely the same logic would apply at every resort, so I'm confused why this seems to be something peculiar to St Anton?

At the end of the day we got a good deal on the holiday, and lift pass prices seem reasonable particularly for juniors, so I'll just bite the bullet and pay the extra ski hire costs (what choice do I have). But it is one of those little things that sticks in the craw, and it might make me think twice about booking future trips to St Anton if other similar options are available elsewhere.

I notice a few people have mentioned Hervis as a more reasonably priced shop. Its a bit further from where we are but might be worth the extra walk at the start and end of the week if its going to save us £100+ across the family. Is their gear of a reasonable standard does anyone know?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SlipnSlide, private lessons are also v expensive and until recently only two schools. iirc owned by the same guy. New Generation have just opened there, so will be interested to see what that does.
snow conditions
@SlipnSlide, Hervis have an offer on for the week you're there giving you free child skis for under 10's for each adult - so might save you some money as a family. Good luck!
ski holidays
@Badbobby and @fixx, thanks for the tips. We won't be doing lessons and kids are over 10, but Hervis still looks cheaper regardless so might book there.

I guess the reason that I'm surprised by the hire costs is that it just seems so much more than other places we've been to including other world famous resorts like Val d'isere , 3 valleys etc. Whereas the basic holiday price was very reasonable (and lift pass not too bad) so it didn't come across as a particularly exclusive resort where you would expect to pay over the odds for everything.
latest report
SlipnSlide wrote:

Regarding fleecing tourists and locals/nationals hiring en route, surely the same logic would apply at every resort, so I'm confused why this seems to be something peculiar to St Anton?

Because most land, commercial property and ski shops are in the hands of a few families. So they can keep competition out by ensuring a El Cheapo Ski Hire shop doesn't get to rent premises. Frankly I'm surprise Hervis being a national chain got premises - perhaps because they play by the market "norms" BTW - Hervis headline prices seem to be pretty much in line with or chaeper than Kitzbuhel or Hinterglemm (must be all in the promo discount)

There probably is a market opportunity for a ski concierge rental business operating out of vans (and maybe premises in Landeck or somesuch) to cover off lots of TOs but they's probably find themselves with lots of slashed tyres and parking fines I suspect.
snow conditions
SlipnSlide wrote:
martinm wrote:

Sorry, I meant that for Gold ski's, £120 was within the expected price range, but at the top end!
snow report
If your coming via Innsbruck & Train.

Just walk into the city (about 5mins) there are a few ski shops where you can hire much cheaper than here in St Anton.
snow conditions
Cartel.

Folks you may want to read this

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119143&highlight=cartel++anton
ski holidays
I looked at exactly this over the last few weeks as we are heading there this weekend.

Conclusion: all the shops charge the same and it's not cheap

E.g. even those offering an on-line discount just made it exactly the same price, to the euro cent, as the shop up the road and every other shop we could find.

We took the view that it is what it is and so paid it. I've not been to St Anton before but it does seem most things there are quite expensive.
ski holidays
Rusco wrote:
all the shops charge the same and it's not cheap

Correct, but the quality of equipment and service differs wildly. Jennewein a little more expensive but far superior to Intersport in every other criteria.
snow conditions
Try
Www.skiwest.at
snow conditions
Back in the 80s / early 90s my rule of thumb for St Anton was to imagine taking a suitcase full of cash, and emptying it during the week. Looks as though things haven't changed much. Quite a while since I have been there. Interesting place. Didn't think that much to the on-piste skiing, but the off-piste was fantastic - though that near the lifts was heavily skied very quickly after a dump. Great Après. And of course the rest of the Arlberg area is worth visiting. Had some great times - at a price.
latest report
@achilles, I've been a Number of times and found it very reasonable, apart from the hire and lessons. Pensions are the same price as elsewhere plus it's dead easy to get to from Zurich - that means you get free ski transit on Swiss. So that pays off the lessons tax!!
snow report
Try mietski.com I have just paid 70 euros for two sets for a week inc ins Little Angel Have used them for years, bit of a trek as not in St Anton but the savings are worth it
snow report
dannygreen70 wrote:
Try mietski.com I have just paid 70 euros for two sets for a week inc ins Little Angel Have used them for years, bit of a trek as not in St Anton but the savings are worth it

They'd in the middle of Pettneu, opposite the church. Some would argue the savings aren't worth it. One example I came across this season was a group that arrived too late to collect their skis on the day of arrival, so had to schlep out to Pettneu the following morning via bus (think they paid on the post bus, free ski busses TO Pettneu in the morning aren't easy if you don't know where you're going/which bus). By time they had skis and boots sorted, they ended up forking out for a taxi back to St Anton as they were pushed for time before pre-booked ski school (they did turn up late).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If anyone is thinking of going to St Anton on the cheap...forget it .
snow report
Quote:
If anyone is thinking of going to St Anton on the cheap...forget it .

Hm, we did a family of four skiing St Anton at February half term this year for around £2300 all* in. The year before it was about £2400 as the kids were in ski school.

It can be done.

*flights, transfer, ski carriage; lift passes, food, beer, souvenirs (sp), accommodation, night at the Munich Hilton, and whatever we spent during the week

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 29-06-17 8:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Sitter wrote:
dannygreen70 wrote:

They'd in the middle of Pettneu, opposite the church. Some would argue the savings aren't worth it. One example I came across this season was a group that arrived too late to collect their skis on the day of arrival, so had to schlep out to Pettneu the following morning via bus (think they paid on the post bus, free ski busses TO Pettneu in the morning aren't easy if you don't know where you're going/which bus). By time they had skis and boots sorted, they ended up forking out for a taxi back to St Anton as they were pushed for time before pre-booked ski school (they did turn up late).

+1! One thing we're learned early was that that the cheapest upfront cost did not necessarily result in the lowest all-up cost. You can can define cost as you like - it could be money, time, stress. For the group above, I guess all 3 apply.

When we booked the 2018 St Anton flights, we could have saved ~$200 per ticket, but that would have meant an 18 hour layover in Doha. Decided that was not worth it. Sitting around for 18 hours in a departure lounge had zero appeal, while paying for an airport hotel would have killed the saving.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy