Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in the rain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
And that your jacket goes OUTSIDE the gloves - Otherwise all that rain runs of you jacket, down your arms, INTO your gloves. Miserable Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skitrack wrote:
And that your jacket goes OUTSIDE the gloves - Otherwise all that rain runs of you jacket, down your arms, INTO your gloves. Miserable Evil or Very Mad

Really?? Maybe if you're hill walking, but if you're skiing then:

1. If using poles your lower arms are at the lowest horizontal when pole planting; if not planted then they're inclined upwards.
2. On a button lift your lower arms are inclined upwards.
3. On a chair lift your lower arms are inclined upwards.

So, Disagree strongly!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
.... And if you are snowboarding as badly as me then your arms are flapping around like drunk Dad throwing shapes on a dancefloor. (which I do too)
Toofy Grin

Not to mention if rain falls on fairly fresh snow it turns it sticky and you can barely slide on it !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gazzza, +1

Porridge is best for breakfast, not for riding on!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@James the Last,

1. No. Poor stance.

2. I avoid drags and if I must my poles are together behind my back.

3. On a chair my hands are usually on my knees.

That said, I have gauntlet style gloves always outside my jacket.

I just don't ski in the rain if I can avoid it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wearing waterproof ponchos or bikersuits just looks tragic.

Ski faster and harder.

Use bodyheat and wind resistance to burn off the rain.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hate the rain. Makes skiing miserable, horrible heavy sticky snow. Only tip - put your goggles on and LEAVE THEM ON ALWAYS. You can wipe water off the outside, you can't fix fog on the inside.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hawkwind wrote:
start apre early , around 7am

They don't drink as much as us.

I work in the rain and the cold. Miserable, but someone is paying me. If you are only getting 1 day rain then avoid it at all costs. If it is going to be the whole week.....IDK. It is miserable. I can't see how you might have any fun......waterproof or not.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plenty of really good mountaineering waterproofs are available in the U.K. If they are effective in Scottish conditions they will easily cope with the alps. Make sure the hood fits properly over your helmet though.

Really good waterproof clothing is a revelation in the rain, drizzle or wet snow. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A Gore-Tex (eg Gore-Tex XCR or other equivalent triple layer - there are now many) shell and pants really will keep you dry. My existing Gore Tex is now 15 years old (thanks TK Maxx) and despite several washes (and re-proofs) just about coped with torrential rain of 4+ inches per day last season.

I think keeping dry hands is the bigger challenge. I use two options:

Petrol station over gloves (they're free) and will go over many types of non-waterproof gloves - these are only a stop gap solution because they will only last a morning or afternoon OR

I have a pair of very cheap waterproof industrial rubber gloves - a tip passed on to me by an ESF instructor many years ago eg these -

from Screwfix
http://www.screwfix.com/p/showa-600-pvc-waterproof-gloves-green-large/83858

or these from ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wonder-Grip-Gloves-WG-338-THERMO-Plus-Latex-Waterproof-Warm-Thermal-Lined-/161668579464?var=&hash=item25a432c088:m:mrUNSKtVuqUkcjEGHi9jAqQ

They have fantastic grip for poles and button lifts and I wear a pair of Icebreaker merino liner gloves underneath. They should keep you warn dry and toasty (remember if its raining its only about 0C plus windchill).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 14-02-17 10:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've not used them skiing, but sealskinz gloves have always kept my hands dry in peat bogs. They're about £40 and would probably do the job.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all! Some excellent advice and links for me to check out. I will definitely be investing in a goretex jacket again next time. After 11 years break from skiing whilst having kids (last year was our first year back), my selective memory had blanked out that it can rain on a ski holiday.

I am waiting another couple of days for the latest weather forecast and if its still a bit rubbish i will be off waterproof shopping on Thursday. Fingers crossed i wont need to!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neoprene sailing gloves with cheap latex gloves underneath. Works well when spending a day on the water in the winter. Sailing water proofs with thermals underneath or alternately spray top/trousers over normal gear. Used this approach when I was just out of Uni and couldn't afford decent ski gear. Good in the cold and kept me dry on a really wet ski trip late spring trip to Quebec.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As mentioned above, Goretex works well - there is a reason Arcteryx stuff comes from here! Madeye-Smiley
Alternatively, my son has a Descente poncho that most of the kids that train round here have (in fact it is highly likely to get used tonight!). That seems to work well.
Quite a few instructors have rubber gardening gloves.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've taken to snowshoeing when conditions aren't good for skiing. If you've bought a week's pass, then you still get to use the lift. Where we ski, you quickly get into the woods and right away from all the crowds, but you're still relatively near to the resort, so no distance anxiety. Much prefer it to trying to battle against bad visibility, water-skiing conditions etc. Not for everyone, but I think always worth giving it a go if the skiing is bad. To get the best, ask at the Tourist Office or Ski School to recommend some good routes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy